Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 09:26 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,238,696 times

Advertisements

Hi all----
So I'm a middle-aged guy recently dating a woman who has two German Shepherd mixes..about two or three years old each...no idea of what breeds the dogs are mixed with. Two friendly dogs, but they shed. And the dander is working on my allergies bigtime.
I'm also putting this out there: I am not a dog person at all. I like dogs (and always enjoy meeting them) but She is a serious dog owner with the mindset, vehicle for maximum dog hauling, etc.
***I have now started "sleeping over" at her place (woohoo!), in fact, I stay there most nights now.
***dogs sleep on the floor around the house and in the bedroom sometimes but don't sleep on the bed. Though they get on the bed every chance they get otherwise, though we're both policing it when present. When we are at work the bed is open season I'm sure.
***I have had cats in the past, and have been around other dogs before in previous relationships. What has worked for me in the past is a bath towel on the pillowcase which I sleep on at night, and then after I wake up I put the towel and the pillow on the dresser and get it off of the bed.
***dogs have warmed up to me, and petting ensues, etc...hand washing and clothes washing questions I now have also.
*** I'm thinking allergy meds? If so, which ones to do (or not do). We are both high school teachers and I need to be alert throughout the day.
***I have no other allergies at all, so I know the tell-tale signs of this. back of my throat closing up, sinuses at the top of my throat by my uvula burning, voice hoarse, coughing, etc.
We both fell hard for each other and I will do whatever I can to make it work....anything....but I know I'm totally clueless on this. But I hate these allergies and what it's doing to me.
Any thoughts/comments/advice/links would work wonders (just on the allergy part of things, not on the psychosocial/training/romance part of things)---much appreciated and thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 09:49 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
There is an allergy shot for dog allergy. You might try that.

Believe me, your partner will give you up before she gives up her dogs and she will not consent to spend the rest of her life without any dogs. "No dogs" is not a solution.

Some of the newer allergy medications re non-drowsy and they work better than the ones that put you into nap time. I buy mine s generics at Costco and they are darn cheap.

You could see an allergist for recommendations, if you are seriously wanting to stay with this woman.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:53 AM

2,352 posts, read 617,909 times
^^^

Old 12-07-2022, 09:54 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
I'm going to add this for the persons who recommend that she gives up her dogs. Asking a partner to never wear read shirts again is probably do-able. People can find shirts that aren't red that they still like to wear. But asking a person to give up their dogs is asking them to change who they are. It would be a major change to their basic personality, and that huge of a change probably isn't going to happen and it if does, it would damage the relationship.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:57 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,213,563 times
Definitely see an allergist.

You both may also consider blocking the dogs from the bedroom during the day (we use a baby gate) to help minimize the dander in the bedroom. You might also consider an air purifier in the main rooms.

There are a lot of ways to minimize dander in the house (removing carpeting, rigorous cleaning schedule, etc) but that is likely something that will need to be discussed before becoming "permanent".

Old 12-07-2022, 10:00 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,470,241 times
Allergen machine.
Ion machine.
Monthly allergen shots.

The dog owner can also be proactive with the pets dander shedding.
Certain vet prescribed shampoos can condition the dogs skin to lower the dander components. Ask this lovely lady if that is an option.

My preference has been in the allergen machine- HEPA filter .

Old 12-07-2022, 10:25 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,238,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm going to add this for the persons who recommend that she gives up her dogs. Asking a partner to never wear read shirts again is probably do-able. People can find shirts that aren't red that they still like to wear. But asking a person to give up their dogs is asking them to change who they are. It would be a major change to their basic personality, and that huge of a change probably isn't going to happen and it if does, it would damage the relationship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is an allergy shot for dog allergy. You might try that.

Believe me, your partner will give you up before she gives up her dogs and she will not consent to spend the rest of her life without any dogs. "No dogs" is not a solution.
OP here:
Missed the part where I asked that or would even consider that, and I was only asking about allergies as I said in my post.
Thanks! Allergy advice only please.
The allergy shot is indeed a great idea. What is the name of the med....does anyone know?
Closing the bedroom door as someone stated during the day is not easy (one dog is so smart he turns the handle and walks in anyway) but looking at another latch is certainly doable.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:45 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,065,257 times
I take the generic Claritin from Costco every night, that may be the one being referred to, it doesn't make me groggy. I have dogs and am not allergic to them (plenty of other things) but Huskies and German Shepards can sometimes give me an allergy attack. My neighbor has a GSD and she gives her a supplement to help lessen the shedding, that may be something to look into as well as a good grooming every month or so to help lessen the fur and dander.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:46 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
WASH the Dogs!! https://www.bing.com/search?q=dog+sh...cdbb50361ed659

Old 12-08-2022, 06:01 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,689,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
OP here:
Missed the part where I asked that or would even consider that, and I was only asking about allergies as I said in my post.
Thanks! Allergy advice only please.
The allergy shot is indeed a great idea. What is the name of the med....does anyone know?
Closing the bedroom door as someone stated during the day is not easy (one dog is so smart he turns the handle and walks in anyway) but looking at another latch is certainly doable.
You will need to go to the allergist and get a full allergy test before they can recommend shots. FWIW, my sister thought she had a cat allergy as she would go over to her in laws’ house when they had the cat and immediately started having allergies. When she had the test, she was not allergic, so it was likely related to something the cat had been getting into (like going into dusty areas). In that type of situation with a dog, you can more easily handle the issue by doing some more rigorous cleaning via a robot vac or the like and also doing more deshedding and bathing with products that will help with that.

First thing to try is probably taking medications like Allegra or Zyrtec to see if that helps. If she can’t keep the dog off the bed when she isn’t there, another option is to get a quilt or some cover that is over the entire bed (including pillows) that you can take off at night/put outside the room and replace with a blanket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs