Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have BAD BAD allergies either in Hawaii or somewhere else?
Yes. In Hawaii 7 36.84%
No. I dont have allergies. 4 21.05%
Yes. Somewhere else. 4 21.05%
I have allergies but not in Hawaii. 6 31.58%
My allergies like dryer climates. 1 5.26%
My allergies like other climates. 0 0%
other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 33,240 times

Advertisements

Hi! My allergies are very bad in oahu. My allergies like dry climates - this is not oahu. Some days I am constantly sneezing and blowing my nose. Anyone else have allergy problems? Specifically Hawaii? Does anyone recommend any type of medicine? Please vote and post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 PM

27 posts, read 190,616 times
Until a few years ago, I've always lived in Hawaii. For the past 10-12 years (approximate), my allergies were the worse; it was not the typical symptoms of hay fever, itchy nose/eyes. Rather, it was constant sinus pressure, primarily behind my eyes; some days were worse than others but it was constant. I lived on Sudafed which brought some relief but did not make it go away. I had allergy tests & a scan but nothing wrong was found.

I've been living in the PNW for the past few years and now have the typical spring/summer allergies of hay fever. I must say, I'd rather have these type of symptoms which I find Zyrtec helps, than the constant sinus pressure.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 PM

27 posts, read 190,616 times
surfergirl, I forgot to say you may want to try those sinus rinses - you can try either the nettipot (?) or nasal rinse (bottle with a spout). They have premade packets which has a powder you mix with water and then flush out your sinuses; it's probably something you'd want to do daily to clean out your sinuses. Or you could make a saline solution, google it for instructions on how to make it. I've just used salt and warm water. You can find it at the drugstores like Longs or Walmart and it'll have more detailed instructions. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:31 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,775 times
I lived there in the Navy on Kaneohe for five years, and I had the best reaction to allergies when the weather remained constant. A good thing, cause it does there for the most part. For some reason, I would get post nasal drip/ bronchitis about once a year, and that would be usually sometime in the Feb or Jun time period. Good luck, I have also had it bad down here in Key West when the weather changes...

Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
My allergies were not too bad when I lived on the east coast- even in the worst pollen cases, I would only have an occasional issue with runny noses and itchy eyes. I moved here a year ago and ever since March or so (I have no track of time) my allergies went off on me- especially with the really bad vog that we got from BI (I am on Kauai). However, even when the vog is not present, I have noticed that my allergies will sometimes act up (not always....but if vog is present, you can count on it). I talked to my Dr. and she said that it is either blooming plants (I haven't found any mock orange, but I live on a really big piece of land and it could be here somewhere!) or just a reaction to all of the mold. I live in the mauka side of Kalaheo and it rains a lot and I have a ton of plants. I live in the boonies basically, so it could easily be a result of either or both. I am on a diff med and it seems to be doing a better job than my allegra!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Allergies are nothing to take lightly. I knew a guy who had to move back to Michigan because his dr told him his entire immune system would be compromised if he stayed much longer in Hawaii. Don't self-medicate! If you have consistent allergies you should be consulting a doctor. Many best wishes on that.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:07 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Allergies are an odd thing in terms of how they effect individuals. One of the big reasons I am moving to Hawaii is because when I went there after two days my sinuses were clear as a bell and two days after returning to NV ( and I've been here my whole life) my nose was plugged solid and my wife was kicking me for snoring again. The biggest thing I noticed that seemed to clear me up was swimming in the ocean. For those first two days I mentioned earlier after a swim my nose ran like a river but then BAM. Gone and clear. It's a very dusty and dry climate in NV and theres nothing that grows here that won't bite stab sting or stick you. Yet, I have run into numerous folks here that came here because the dry climate was reccommended by a doctor. As someone mentioned earlier ...see the medical pros and take thier advice as to remedy. Even with a doctors help it's usually tough to pin an allergic problem down and find the proper treatment but once you find it oh my ain't it worth the time! Good luck. Aloha

Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 AM

6 posts, read 49,298 times
I left Hawaii for because of the cost of living and allergies to vog and mold. I had lived there for many years but was sick a lot. By the way, there's almost always some vog...not just during the Kona wind months.
Especially now, with Kilauea more active.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:37 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,152 times
I have dust allergies, which are much worse on the East Coast than here in Hawaii. I take a Zyrtec every night with my vitamin. The only time I've felt my allergies here was the day after the one night I forgot to take my Zyrtec. Otherwise, no problems. But I don't have mold allergies, which might be worse here.

You can see an allergist to get tested... find out exactly what you're reacting to; then you can learn to control them through a combination of medicine and environmental changes (which doesn't necessarily mean a move). Good luck!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:07 PM

62 posts, read 282,034 times
Cane smoke, vog, dust, cockroaches.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii