Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 07:05 AM

4,594 posts, read 2,315,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm going to add this for the persons who recommend that she gives up her dogs. Asking a partner to never wear read shirts again is probably do-able. People can find shirts that aren't red that they still like to wear. But asking a person to give up their dogs is asking them to change who they are. It would be a major change to their basic personality, and that huge of a change probably isn't going to happen and it if does, it would damage the relationship.

As a dog lover, I can say 100% that I would give up the relationship before I would give up my dogs. When I was looking for a partner/husband - must love dogs was my 1st requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2022, 09:10 PM

425 posts, read 288,536 times
If you really had a bad allergy to dog's or their dander, you would be short of breath, in my opinion. But try an allergy pill like everyone suggests starting with. If that doesn't work, see an allergist.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:44 PM

15,897 posts, read 21,518,705 times
I developed an allergy to my own cat, and he happens to be about as fluffy as a cat can be. There's no keeping him off the bed and, even if I did, there's no keeping his fuzz off everything.

Zyrtec works really well for me (and you can get a year's supply of the generic pretty cheaply on Amazon). I need to immediately wash my face and hands to prevent my eyes from tearing after petting, brushing, or otherwise handling my cat. He's no longer allowed to sleep in bed with me at night. I also change my pillowcases every 2-3 days (which, honestly, I would do anyway due to hair/face products and concern of breakouts), my duvet and sheets weekly, and make sure to wash my curtains and covers on my couch weekly. Having a robot vacuum/mop do a sweep daily is essential, and I only have small area rugs. No carpets!

Air purifiers with HEPA filters in every room also makes a big difference.

Good luck!

Old 12-12-2022, 01:41 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,258,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Did it yesterday!!! Don't know about my allergies with that yet, but they sure look better. Thanks for the tip

Old 12-12-2022, 01:42 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,258,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I developed an allergy to my own cat, and he happens to be about as fluffy as a cat can be. There's no keeping him off the bed and, even if I did, there's no keeping his fuzz off everything.

Zyrtec works really well for me (and you can get a year's supply of the generic pretty cheaply on Amazon). I need to immediately wash my face and hands to prevent my eyes from tearing after petting, brushing, or otherwise handling my cat. He's no longer allowed to sleep in bed with me at night. I also change my pillowcases every 2-3 days (which, honestly, I would do anyway due to hair/face products and concern of breakouts), my duvet and sheets weekly, and make sure to wash my curtains and covers on my couch weekly. Having a robot vacuum/mop do a sweep daily is essential, and I only have small area rugs. No carpets!

Air purifiers with HEPA filters in every room also makes a big difference.

Good luck!
Great tips. Doing the Zyrtec now and doing allergy test this week. Zyrtec helps tremendously. thanks all.

Old 12-16-2022, 05:41 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,013,449 times
So I am allergic to everything, including my dogs and cats. Didn't keep me from getting them though .

I went to an allergist and started shots, it isn't actually a medicine, they actually inject you with increasing doses of your allergens to build a tolerance and hopefully your body stops reacting as badly. You will start out with weekly shots. Your doctor will monitor you and every year you will answer a bunch of questions. That determines if you can move to every other week, and then every few weeks and then maybe once a month. It is a process. I have been doing the shots for 4 1/2 years now and have not been able to move away from weekly. Next July they will be retesting me and probably reformulating the allergens, or maybe something else.

On top of the shots every week, I also take prescription Xyzal, although this changes every year as we try different medications. I also take Cingulair, Flonase nasal spray and azelastine nasal spray. I also have Symbicort inhaler and a rescue inhaler as some of my other allergies induce asthma attacks.

My suggestion, is whichever allergy medication you try, get the ones from behind the pharmacy counter. The ones you have to give them your driver's license and they only allow you to purchase a set amount. Those still have the good drugs in them and seem to work for me, as the ones right off the shelf don't.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:42 PM

88 posts, read 67,429 times
You may consider taking Pepcid AC along with whatever regular allergy medicine you take. From what I have read, there are two types of histamines. Zyrtec, Benadryl, Claritin, etc. block one kind while Pepcid AC blocks the other. I take both Zyrtec and Pepcid AC almost daily and my allergy doctor agrees it's a good idea (due to my ridiculous allergies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs