Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 02:49 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,627,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I am going to challenge this. A real good "legit" breeder would never let someone rehome their dog on Craig's List. Never. I retain ownership of my dogs and my contract clearly states that if you EVER cannot care for the dog, the dog comes back to me. I get to decide who is qualified to care for them; you do not.
Both dogs I have ever gotten from a breeder had that clause in the contract too.

The " breeder" my friend is dealing with is not a CL listing it is a website that lists a lot of breeds and to me just smells like a cover for puppy brokers. Having lost pet stores as places to sell puppies in many states the mills now use puppy brokers who pose as breeders. No my friend still does not have the puppy last I talked to her she said she was told this week so we shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 02:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,947,135 times
Guess he must be from a puppy mill because I got him on CL. I wonder if they faked his registration too to list his breeder as someone who's been breeding Eskimos for decades and has a good name in a state where puppy mills/pet stores are illegal rather than the Amish mill he must have started his life in. So glad that's cleared up.

Before anyone starts, I am not disputing that these contracts exist.

Your friend was scammed. And yes, a lot of different breeds on the website is a sure sign of a puppy mill. So is cute little language such as "adopting."

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-21-2022 at 04:21 PM..

Old 12-21-2022, 04:26 PM

26,151 posts, read 22,334,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Guess he must be from a puppy mill because I got him on CL. I wonder if they faked his registration too to list his breeder as someone who's been breeding Eskimos for decades and has a good name in a state where puppy mills/pet stores are illegal rather than the Amish mill he must have started his life in. So glad that's cleared up.

Your friend was scammed. And yes, a lot of different breeds on the website is a sure sign of a puppy mill. So is cute little language such as "adopting."
I think with CL, it depends on where one lives. I am in central KS, and yes, puppy mills can be a problem, but they are working to clean that up. Here we have people that breed both hunting dogs and herding/farm-type dogs, which are popular here. I see no problem breeding puppies that are a breed that people use in the immediate area. It is easy enough to tell who is a puppy mill breeder and who isn't, as we can actually visit the puppies, and most often the parents are on-site. Years ago, we went out to buy an American Eskimo puppy from a farmer out in the country, perfectly fine dog. The vet asked where we got her, and when we told him on a farm out in the country, he said "That's the best place to get one."

Commonsense can go a long way in making a choice.

Old 12-21-2022, 04:50 PM

5,002 posts, read 3,426,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Both dogs I have ever gotten from a breeder had that clause in the contract too.

The " breeder" my friend is dealing with is not a CL listing it is a website that lists a lot of breeds and to me just smells like a cover for puppy brokers. Having lost pet stores as places to sell puppies in many states the mills now use puppy brokers who pose as breeders. No my friend still does not have the puppy last I talked to her she said she was told this week so we shall see.
That the breeder retains ownership? If it's a show puppy that you're homing for them, I can see that. Three show breeders I've dealt with had a 'pet contract' and a different one for the above cases.

Old 12-21-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think with CL, it depends on where one lives. I am in central KS, and yes, puppy mills can be a problem, but they are working to clean that up. Here we have people that breed both hunting dogs and herding/farm-type dogs, which are popular here. I see no problem breeding puppies that are a breed that people use in the immediate area. It is easy enough to tell who is a puppy mill breeder and who isn't, as we can actually visit the puppies, and most often the parents are on-site. Years ago, we went out to buy an American Eskimo puppy from a farmer out in the country, perfectly fine dog. The vet asked where we got her, and when we told him on a farm out in the country, he said "That's the best place to get one."

Commonsense can go a long way in making a choice.
My Eskimo didn't come from a puppy mill either.

My first one probably did, as is common with shelter/rescue dogs, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:19 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,627,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
That the breeder retains ownership? If it's a show puppy that you're homing for them, I can see that. Three show breeders I've dealt with had a 'pet contract' and a different one for the above cases.

I have ownership but if I cannot keep the dog for any reason even years later the contract says the breeder is to be notified and will take the dog back to rehome it. Some may not like that, but it has kept this breed out of shelters. Most of the breeders have waiting lists of people hoping to get an adult which means either a retired show dog, a dog that did not do well as a show dog or a returned dog which the few I have heard about was due to owner's illness or death. And this applies to both show quality and pet quality pups.

I have adopted rescue dogs from rescue groups that also had it in the contract that if I cannot keep it they want to be notified and will take it back.

Old 12-22-2022, 05:25 AM

5,002 posts, read 3,426,209 times
Quote:

I have ownership but if I cannot keep the dog for any reason even years later the contract says the breeder is to be notified and will take the dog back to rehome it. Some may not like that, but it has kept this breed out of shelters. Most of the breeders have waiting lists of people hoping to get an adult which means either a retired show dog, a dog that did not do well as a show dog or a returned dog which the few I have heard about was due to owner's illness or death. And this applies to both show quality and pet quality pups.

I have adopted rescue dogs from rescue groups that also had it in the contract that if I cannot keep it they want to be notified and will take it back.
I wasn't questioning that (it's typical), I was questoning the breeder that posted he/she 'retains ownership' and decision making authority over the dog. That's different.

Old 12-22-2022, 06:34 AM

4,905 posts, read 4,257,102 times
Quote:

When I adopted my basenjis from Basenji Rescue and Transport (BRAT) the contract stated that I was to let them know if I could not keep the dogs for any reason (my Sally girl had been returned at least once). I was also to let them know if they were euthanized. When I did they were shocked and said that clause was in there to make sure no one just euthanized them for no real reason. I loved those dogs and miss them both terribly.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:00 AM

Here's an example of the kind of CL ad that's pretty common here:

https://eastoregon.craigslist.org/pet/7570486017.html

Old 12-22-2022, 01:41 PM

32,764 posts, read 48,490,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Here's an example of the kind of CL ad that's pretty common here:

https://eastoregon.craigslist.org/pet/7570486017.html
It's Burns, so those probably are real working dogs. Apparently not a planned litter since they are pushing them out the door at $50 each. Also, the parent dogs are not well known working dogs because the best workers are worth many thousands of dollars and their pups are in demand from the working ranches.

Right before Christmas a $50 cute puppy probably doesn't stand a good chance in life. I hope the person who owns the dam is careful where those puppies go so they don't end up in the shelter.

Coming back to add, maybe the people are caring. They are finding homes for the unwanted pups and didn't bucket them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs