Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 09:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,902,914 times

Advertisements

Anything further on this? Right now there's a news segment on about how online puppy scams are really prevalent this year. Says that dachshunds are in the top three breeds scammers are focusing on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 02:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 12,434,026 times
Every red flag is waving on this one. It has scam written all over it. Have your friend join a Facebook group for specifically Dachshund owners/breeders. Have her ask questions there about the breeder. If it is a scam or a puppymill/byb pup, the group can also put her in touch with reputable breeders.

Old 12-15-2022, 04:01 AM

1,565 posts, read 1,065,390 times
Check out Gooddog.com for listing of breeders.

Old 12-15-2022, 12:49 PM

26,083 posts, read 22,282,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I'm amazed at the number of people who buy puppies from the Amish.
I think PA is the puppy mill center of the US due to the Amish.
Also an issue with the Amish and others in both KS and MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Anything further on this? Right now there's a news segment on about how online puppy scams are really prevalent this year. Says that dachshunds are in the top three breeds scammers are focusing on.
Oddly, I have noticed here in Central KS, 2 ads on the local Craigslist. The number is a 701 area code, North Dakota, and reads out across the photo in a yellow banner. There is an undisclosed "rehoming fee". It has been posted twice in the last two days, so................. Nice, big and sweet photo of a 10 week old puppy, and apparently they have just one.

If one looks at enough ads, it becomes kind of obvious which are scams.

This time of year, it should be possible to sell puppies in areas where it snows.

Old 12-15-2022, 06:22 PM

32,741 posts, read 48,376,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
....... This happened all too fast and sadly is also an impulse purchase as the day before she was talking about getting a kitten to keep her older Doxie company while she is at work then suddenly the next day, she has a deposit down on this puppy she is buying.

Well. all I can do is to hope that the puppy is healthy and that is is landing in a good home. Unfortunately, impulse buy puppies are the ones who land in the pound after the puppy cute stage is over, or even sooner when it becomes too much trouble to house break them.

I suppose it if does land in the pound, at least it is a popular breed and someone will take it and give it a better home.

Old 12-16-2022, 07:15 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,077,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I'm amazed at the number of people who buy puppies from the Amish.
I think PA is the puppy mill center of the US due to the Amish.
People seem to need instant gratification. Instead of actually looking into reputable breeders, they just Google it and can have their dog shipped to them like an Amazon package.

Your friend is either buying a dog from a puppy mill or about to get scammed. I'm currently fostering a puppy mill rescue, and I'd have some strong words for your friend...

Old 12-17-2022, 02:26 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,618,482 times
She did not get the puppy on the day planned as the “ breeder” claimed they all had kennel cough . This week my friend has been sick so it has been put off until until next week. So we shall see. She is not the type that would dump a dog in a shelter despite this being an impulse buy .

Old 12-17-2022, 03:07 PM

23,504 posts, read 19,222,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
She did not get the puppy on the day planned as the “ breeder” claimed they all had kennel cough .
Especially if she'd already sent money for her so-called puppy.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:54 AM

4,273 posts, read 3,198,511 times
I wish people would quit supporting these questionable breeders!!!! Please don't purchase a puppy from a these people...ever! If they are advertising on craigslist or anywhere else, they are more than likely not a good breeder!!! Good breeders almost always have long waiting lists...and will interview a perspective buyer! Took me over a year to get my current dog.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:12 PM

4,879 posts, read 4,238,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I wish people would quit supporting these questionable breeders!!!! Please don't purchase a puppy from a these people...ever! If they are advertising on craigslist or anywhere else, they are more than likely not a good breeder!!! Good breeders almost always have long waiting lists...and will interview a perspective buyer! Took me over a year to get my current dog.
Unfortunately, you are preaching to the choir on this one.

Many people looking for a puppy will automatically go to Craig's List or Facebook. They simply don't know anything different. There will always be a market for puppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs