Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 03:24 PM

4,261 posts, read 3,187,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Unfortunately, you are preaching to the choir on this one.

Many people looking for a puppy will automatically go to Craig's List or Facebook. They simply don't know anything different. There will always be a market for puppies.
Sadly this is true! One of my pet peeves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 04:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,822,720 times
Oh stop it. I got my last two Eskimos from CL ads. Before anyone starts, one ad was for a local rescue where they were bringing up dogs from high-kill shelters in CA and the other was from a woman who bought him from a long-term (and quite legit) breeder here and decided after he reached 10 months that he wasn't the right dog for her.

Anyone with half a brain can see the obvious puppy scams on CL, but that doesn't mean there aren't dogs listed that need a home for whatever reason or that it's automatically wrong to look on it.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-19-2022 at 04:29 PM..

Old 12-19-2022, 06:10 PM

4,261 posts, read 3,187,342 times
You are comparing apples and oranges! You didn't "purchase" from breeders on Craigs List! You "rescued" a few dogs (and good for you)! Different ballgame. I will say this again, good breeders do NOT advertise on Craig's List....there is no need!

Old 12-19-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges! You didn't "purchase" from breeders on Craigs List! You "rescued" a few dogs (and good for you)! Different ballgame. I will say this again, good breeders do NOT advertise on Craig's List....there is no need!
Yeah, I'm aware of that. My point was that someone looking for a dog can likely find one on CL while avoiding the scams.

My personal pet peeve is the "adopt don't shop!!!!" crowd who blame legit breeders for "overflowing shelters!!!" without understanding at all that the real problem is puppy mills.

Edit: I'm not even sure that the CL ads for puppies are from puppy mills themselves so much as from scammers trying to get deposits and then ghosting.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-19-2022 at 06:40 PM..

Old 12-20-2022, 05:29 AM

4,905 posts, read 3,331,153 times
I'll jump in and say (like I have in other threads) that a whole lot of 'reputable' breeders really aren't. If they put up a website and have a 'questionaire', they figure that gives them license to call themselves 'reputable'.

What I've found is that a truly reputable breeder won't feel the need to tell you how much better they are than the other folks... you'll be able to see it. Bad people can check the boxes just as easily as good people. Find someone you're comfortable with. And don't be surprised if you have to wait for the next litter, because they're the ones that really are breeding selectively and not just 'for the money'.

Old 12-20-2022, 06:28 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,224,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh stop it. I got my last two Eskimos from CL ads. Before anyone starts, one ad was for a local rescue where they were bringing up dogs from high-kill shelters in CA and the other was from a woman who bought him from a long-term (and quite legit) breeder here and decided after he reached 10 months that he wasn't the right dog for her.

Anyone with half a brain can see the obvious puppy scams on CL, but that doesn't mean there aren't dogs listed that need a home for whatever reason or that it's automatically wrong to look on it.
Please forgive me - sincerely, I was not making an accusation that is a blanket for all sources of puppies or dogs. I will admit that I have never seen a "legit" ad for puppies on CL, but I can believe it happens. And I have seen rescues or "rehoming" ads many times. I think those folks just find themselves in situations like the one you describe.

I don't begrudge anyone going to a breeder. There are real reasons for going that route and I respect that. I have done it in the past but since I don't really have any of those reasons, I go the shelter/rescue route. That doesn't make me a better or more knowledgeable owner.

Having said that, many people who purchase a puppy do so without knowing what to even look for in a good, responsible breeder. I would wager that 99% of the people who post here are aware of the differences and make the choices that are best for them.

No judgement from me!

Old 12-20-2022, 12:01 PM

Around here, the virtue signallers make no distinction between puppy mills and legit breeders. Just the fact that someone's dog is a purebred is enough to send their noses into the air. Apparently, none of their dogs have names; they always introduce them as "my rescue."

I see a lot of ads on CL for working breed litters and some whoops litters here and there, but that's probably because of my location. The scam ads with the too-cute puppies and broken English are almost laughably easy to spot, but then, people seem to fall for them all the time. I have the impression they're offshore scams rather than puppy mills, though.

Old 12-20-2022, 12:12 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,224,174 times
Quote:
Apparently, none of their dogs have names; they always introduce them as "my rescue."

May I introduce Penny and Clancy?
Attached Thumbnails
Puppy Broker?-fb_img_1671456027037.jpg  

Old 12-21-2022, 12:34 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,166,766 times
Quote:
the other was from a woman who bought him from a long-term (and quite legit) breeder here and decided after he reached 10 months that he wasn't the right dog for her.
I am going to challenge this. A real good "legit" breeder would never let someone rehome their dog on Craig's List. Never. I retain ownership of my dogs and my contract clearly states that if you EVER cannot care for the dog, the dog comes back to me. I get to decide who is qualified to care for them; you do not.

Old 12-21-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I am going to challenge this. A real good "legit" breeder would never let someone rehome their dog on Craig's List. Never. I retain ownership of my dogs and my contract clearly states that if you EVER cannot care for the dog, the dog comes back to me. I get to decide who is qualified to care for them; you do not.
I'm aware of that.

My guess is that she decided to ignore the clause in her purchase agreement with the breeder to return him should it not work out because she wanted the money she could get from selling him. The breeder would have no way of knowing that she'd listed him on CL. This probably happens more than breeders realize. You can't exactly put cameras in their homes or stalk them to make sure they haven't rehomed the dog to someone else.

Not interested in responding to further "challenges" concerning my dog. Edit: I know who the breeder is.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-21-2022 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs