Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 10:44 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,618,482 times

Advertisements

Last weekend the dogs and I were out of town so Zephyr could do some straight racing. When racing was over, we went walking at a large park near our hotel. We have walked there before when we go racing up there but I was only able to do short walks due to knee pain. Now I have my new knee, so we did the long walks. The longer walks you end up in a pasture that has horses and cows with calves in it. At times they are walking the same trail as you and yes, it is really part of the trail. Signs at the open gates leading into the pasture say dogs must be leashed but as usual we saw plenty of people that feel they have the right to walk their dogs off leash. Even saw a few dogs running up to horses and cows. I think it happens often enough the livestock is not bothered as none of them ran and just went on doing what they were doing thus ignored the dogs.

My dogs did stay on leashes and despite not being around horses very often or having ever seen a cow they behaved very well and did not even bark at the livestock. The calves were all very frisky playing chase games with each other. We even had calves run up and moo then race away which Zephyr found very interesting. The dogs did enjoy all the cow pies in the pasture. I was very proud of both of them. It was a fun relaxing walk.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 04:18 AM

5,024 posts, read 10,741,107 times
Wow, what a wonderful experience! Thank you for sharing. It sounds like great enrichment for you and the dogs. And I’ll just say that people with unleashed dogs around livestock are just asking for trouble. It’s a good thing these livestock are so well-mannered.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:03 PM

10,413 posts, read 6,991,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Wow, what a wonderful experience! Thank you for sharing. It sounds like great enrichment for you and the dogs. And I’ll just say that people with unleashed dogs around livestock are just asking for trouble. It’s a good thing these livestock are so well-mannered.
So very true (and unusual.) Especially with heifers and colts around. Mom's can become pretty protective of their youngun's. Dog's (and most humans) just can't fathom the power/speed of rear quarters hooves.

Yes, gotta leash 'em.

Only unleashed when on a course, of course!

https://youtu.be/dt3fbCt-R_8

Old 11-18-2022, 09:45 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,117,846 times
Thanks for posting this.
That looks like a good time.

It also gives me a bit of awareness.
I wonder how my young cattle dog would do?
My little knucklehead will try to herd the time of day.

We are out in the sticks and he works with/chases off deer and predators to keep us free of them.
He does well with that but I’m thinking he is not ready to mess with cattle or horses without training.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:16 AM

11,094 posts, read 7,005,222 times
When I lived on the ranch in NM, my dogs loved to try and herd the sheep and cows, and my friend's horse. The horse was dangerous because she didn't like the dogs chasing her. I don't blame her one bit. She does like my friend's dog though. The dog knows how to behave around her. They pretty much ignore each other LOL but they don't dislike one another.

Those are some darn cute dogs!!!

Old 11-18-2022, 11:36 AM

5,024 posts, read 10,741,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Thanks for posting this.
That looks like a good time.

It also gives me a bit of awareness.
I wonder how my young cattle dog would do?
My little knucklehead will try to herd the time of day.

We are out in the sticks and he works with/chases off deer and predators to keep us free of them.
He does well with that but I’m thinking he is not ready to mess with cattle or horses without training.
You're absolutely right: if he were going to do it, he would need training both for his safety and that of the horses.

Many herding breeds (including cattle dogs) herd by nipping at the heels of whatever animals (or people) they are herding, so they need to learn and develop perfect bite control. If they don't, they run the risk of injuring livestock or being injured themselves when a horse or cow kicks at them in response to a nip. This is why Corgis were bred to have short legs: when they herd livestock, they are so low to the ground that they cannot take a hoof to the brain.

My father's GSD loved to chase his horses and was brained by a particularly ornery mare one day. The result was that the dog was sick for days afterwards with a severe concussion and ended up with a permanent dent in her head, right between her eyes.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:35 PM

I can't see his/her trail, but the cutie on the left reminds me of a Saluki/Border Collie mix I had 20 years ago. She had a feathered tail, and was pure white. Her body was just like this one.

Old 11-20-2022, 04:20 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,618,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I can't see his/her trail, but the cutie on the left reminds me of a Saluki/Border Collie mix I had 20 years ago. She had a feathered tail, and was pure white. Her body was just like this one.
The cutie on the left is Zephyr and he is a Silken Windhound. Had a hard time finding photos that show his tail as he either has it in the normal sighthound tucked position or it is soaking wet as so many photos where you can see it are beach photos. Sight hounds have a pretty distinctive body type,

Old 11-20-2022, 05:20 PM

Zephyr is a real cutie. It seems my girl was related to this breed, or at least similar. The rescue had her listed totally wrong, not as a Saluki/Border Collie but something else. Unfortunately, I can't remember but it was silly.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:02 PM

10,384 posts, read 8,048,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
My father's GSD loved to chase his horses and was brained by a particularly ornery mare one day. The result was that the dog was sick for days afterwards with a severe concussion and ended up with a permanent dent in her head, right between her eyes.
Your grandfather's German Shepherd was lucky. At the stable where I rode as a teen, a young and rambunctious Dalmatian puppy ran up behind a two-year old Saddlebred who was being worked on a lunge and grabbed the Saddlebred's tail. The horse double-barreled the pup before the trainer could do anything, and the puppy was dead when he hit the ground.

And horses and cattle that have had previous bad experiences with canines may not wait for the dog to come up to them; they may run up and try to kick or stomp the "wolf" to death. It's never a good idea to walk your dog (however well-trained and obedient he might be) in a field with livestock you do not know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs