Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 06:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,708,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Your grandfather's German Shepherd was lucky. At the stable where I rode as a teen, a young and rambunctious Dalmatian puppy ran up behind a two-year old Saddlebred who was being worked on a lunge and grabbed the Saddlebred's tail. The horse double-barreled the pup before the trainer could do anything, and the puppy was dead when he hit the ground.

And horses and cattle that have had previous bad experiences with canines may not wait for the dog to come up to them; they may run up and try to kick or stomp the "wolf" to death. It's never a good idea to walk your dog (however well-trained and obedient he might be) in a field with livestock you do not know!
I made that mistake once, with a mule (a mother, at that). I entered a pasture containing a mule and her baby. In spite of my ignorance, mother mule was kind and allowed my dog to live (my dog also ran like hell ). But she taught me and my dog a lesson we never forgot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 08:17 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Zephyr is a real cutie. It seems my girl was related to this breed, or at least similar. The rescue had her listed totally wrong, not as a Saluki/Border Collie but something else. Unfortunately, I can't remember but it was silly.
Thanks he is indeed a cutie. His breeder picked him out as the puppy she would offer me, and she did a great job as he has fit into my life very well. He really is a handsome boy. People often ask if he is a Saluki, they have the same sighthound build but there are plenty of differences in the two breeds. with my first Silken Dazzle people always asked if he was a border collie X greyhound, but Zephyr gets the is that a Saluki or is that a Borzoi? a lot.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:26 PM

19,821 posts, read 22,716,553 times
Yeah people need to respect those rules, especially with animals that can stomp the snail snot out of a dog.

My guys are used to hunting birds where we encounter open range herds of cattle. It doesn't take very long for them to become disinterested. Funniest was this time, unbeknownst by my big male GSP, a flock of sheep approached over a hill towards the dog. They were about 30 yards when finally my dog saw like a 100 sheep. One of them stepped out towards my dog. I think it was like "ok dog- where are we going? Herd us up!" That sheep kept walking towards Schnitzel and my guy tucked tail and took off, lol.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:39 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,342,113 times
I was up to 8 dogs once (including my son's two when he moved back in with me). Only 1 of those was horse savvy and went on trail rides with me.

One horse had a real high play drive and would go after the dogs, which never ended well for the dogs. Thankfully he wasn't out to kill them.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:31 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,578,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yeah people need to respect those rules, especially with animals that can stomp the snail snot out of a dog.

My guys are used to hunting birds where we encounter open range herds of cattle. It doesn't take very long for them to become disinterested. Funniest was this time, unbeknownst by my big male GSP, a flock of sheep approached over a hill towards the dog. They were about 30 yards when finally my dog saw like a 100 sheep. One of them stepped out towards my dog. I think it was like "ok dog- where are we going? Herd us up!" That sheep kept walking towards Schnitzel and my guy tucked tail and took off, lol.
That was sensory overkill, lol. "Oh, hell no!"

Old 03-23-2023, 07:52 PM

204 posts, read 136,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Your grandfather's German Shepherd was lucky. At the stable where I rode as a teen, a young and rambunctious Dalmatian puppy ran up behind a two-year old Saddlebred who was being worked on a lunge and grabbed the Saddlebred's tail. The horse double-barreled the pup before the trainer could do anything, and the puppy was dead when he hit the ground.

And horses and cattle that have had previous bad experiences with canines may not wait for the dog to come up to them; they may run up and try to kick or stomp the "wolf" to death. It's never a good idea to walk your dog (however well-trained and obedient he might be) in a field with livestock you do not know!
It's not good to walk in a field with livestock whether you know the herd or not, whether you have a dog with you or not.
What on Earth place is this in the OP that allows/encourages people to walk among cattle and horses? That is a very dangerous activity.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I made that mistake once, with a mule (a mother, at that). I entered a pasture containing a mule and her baby. In spite of my ignorance, mother mule was kind and allowed my dog to live (my dog also ran like hell ). But she taught me and my dog a lesson we never forgot!
Um, mules don't have foals. Mules are sterile. The mother of a mule is a horse.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:00 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,578,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
If it was a long ear it had to have been a donkey then.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:48 PM

37,126 posts, read 41,324,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
Rare fertile female mules have been reported.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
If it was a long ear it had to have been a donkey then.
Donkeys don't give birth to mules either. The offspring of two donkeys is a donkey. If the mother is a donkey, the foal is either a donkey too, or a hinny (offspring of a female donkey and a male horse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs