Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 08:20 PM

204 posts, read 136,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Rare fertile female mules have been reported.
So have UFOs and jackalopes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 11:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,579,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
Donkeys don't give birth to mules either. The offspring of two donkeys is a donkey. If the mother is a donkey, the foal is either a donkey too, or a hinny (offspring of a female donkey and a male horse).
"The mule is a domestic equine hybrid between a donkey and a horse. It is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse."

That still doesn't explain why the mare was mistaken for a mule. Mares usually have larger ears than male horses, but still. So since we weren't there we are only guessing what the mother, and foal really were.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:02 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,921,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post

That still doesn't explain why the mare was mistaken for a mule. Mares usually have larger ears than male horses, but still. So since we weren't there we are only guessing what the mother, and foal really were.
Because many non-farm people make too many false assumptions, which is how this thread started in the first place, lollol.

My fence neighbor’s Beagle decided to go missing just a few hours before the massive Thursday/Friday storms that slammed a part of Mississippi.

The wife called to ask if I was ok to crawl over the fence to look for him. SHE did not even have to ask, it’s a given coming over on my 25 acres would be fine but she asked anyway.

My horses were moved up to the front pasture by the barn. I told her the horses wouldn’t be sneaking up, scaring the begeezus out of them and wondering why their neighbor didn’t have treats as payment.

This was ten at night with a storm rolling in, their dog disappeared, yet they still took the time to text and ask - as they have a few times in the past.

There’s a message there ^^^^^ but probably, the only people who will get it are the ones with common sense in their head.

BTW, After two hours of hunting/walking, they did find their dog but in the opposite direction, down in a ravine, on a another neighbor’s farm. He was wore out and would not have made it back home before the storm, if he even remembered how to find home. A new battery for the Little Wanderer’s GPS is on order and he’s now in lockdown until it arrives. They beat the storm back to their house by minutes. - You can’t make this stuff up when you live in the country, lollol

At any rate, stay the hay OFF other people’s property without permission ! Nobody I know I in their right mind would ever allow someone to casually walk across their pasture full of cattle and/or horses. I would if my neighbor texted and said “my dog is on the loose again”, but that’s as far as that permission goes.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:29 PM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
Um, mules don't have foals. Mules are sterile. The mother of a mule is a horse.
You’re right, I stand corrected. There was another, smaller mule with it, so I mistakenly assumed they were related, without thinking.

But it was definitely a mule, not a donkey. The owner said so. And it was the color of a mule and the size of a mule. But it may have been a male.

Old 03-26-2023, 11:50 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post

At any rate, stay the hay OFF other people’s property without permission ! Nobody I know I in their right mind would ever allow someone to casually walk across their pasture full of cattle and/or horses. I would if my neighbor texted and said “my dog is on the loose again”, but that’s as far as that permission goes.
As the OP of this thread I can say I do not walk my dogs on other people's property unless I am invited to do so. I am also aware that livestock can easily kill a dog so when the dogs and I stayed at an Air B&B that was the upstairs of a horse barn I made sure my dogs were leashed and under control when we were outside around the horses.

As for our pasture walk with horses and cattle the hiking trail legally runs all over that pasture and the signs just say to keep your dogs leashed and pick up after your dogs while in the pasture. The livestock were not even that interested in people or dogs with the exception of the calves as they were curious and would run up then run away. The moms just watched. I think dogs and people have been walking in the pasture for years and the livestock is just use to it. I am thinking the pasture land might actually belong to the park and be leased to the livestock owners but not sure could be the other way but walking in that pasture with dogs is allowed . Yeah some people break the rules and let their dogs off leash and maybe some have had to pay the price of having a dog injured by the live stock, but my dogs remained leashed walking along side me and we never felt threatened by any of the livestock.

Old 03-27-2023, 04:33 AM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
Silkens seem to be a popular breed for FastCAT competition. WOW, can they move, too. Pretty to watch, as they run.

Old 03-27-2023, 01:46 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Silkens seem to be a popular breed for FastCAT competition. WOW, can they move, too. Pretty to watch, as they run.
I think many of the Silken breeders want to see their puppies go into homes that will take them to such events as they really do need an outlet to run and they love it so much so they encourage it. So yeah running events you are going to find Silkens. Here in Santa Barbara Zephyr drops jaws when people see him flying down the beach or at the park as it is such a beautiful sight.

I like ASFA lure coursing best as it is a much longer course and zips around the area rather than a straight line. FastCat and FastDash events are only 100 yards and about speed while lure coursing is 500-1000 yards and dogs are judged on Follow, Enthusiasm, Agility, Speed and Endurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs