Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 01:45 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

...because no dog on this earth could possibly, ever, be as good as the one you lost.

I've been missing Sakari really hard, and wondered how could I ever find another dog. And, I was coming to the idea that maybe I just wouldn't have anymore dogs in my life - there's no other dog out there for me.

I've been visiting the local SPCA site, the local shelter site, and have even done up to 100 miles radius for other shelter sites. I had pretty much given up in the last week or 2. I stopped looking because, meh - what's the point - there's no dog for me.

Since I've become familiar with some of the dogs at the shelter, today I thought I'd just go see who got adopted, as it always makes me happy, especially when they have been there for a long time.

I looked to see who was still available, and who was new, and was then going to go back to work and move on with my boring, "no Sakari the best dog ever" life.

I was on the 2nd page.

Have you ever looked at a photo and instantly felt a connection?

Work schmork. I ran to my car, drove like a maniac the entire 16 miles to the shelter, fast walked in, and slapped my credit card down on the counter stating, "I'm taking Bogo. I know I'm early, but I'm taking Bogo. Here's my money so no one else, especially a rescue, can take him out from under me."

They claimed they didn't have a dog named 'Bogo'. I had to show them their gallery on my phone. Then, before I could put money down, I was required to actually meet the dog. I knew I didn't need to, but whatever, let's do this.

No one was available for us to walk him outside, so they unlocked his cage and told me to go in and meet him.

I would never do that with a dog, normally. But I am telling you, I already knew. I walked in, sat down, tried to remind myself, "This is not Sakari, don't act like you did with Sakari, you don't know this dog yet."

Psssccht! Didn't even need to say that to myself.

He came right to my left side and clung to me. He whined. He nudged and demanded that I pet him. He licked my hand, he licked my face, he was all over me.

I got up after about 30 seconds, exited his cage, and left the dog area.

I went to the front, had to wait for an eternity while someone was in front of me. Finally, she was done.

I pushed my card and ID towards them and said, 'Like I said, I'm taking him'. Filled out the paperwork, paid, got the pink adoption card, and asked if I could spend some more time in the cage with him. They said 'yes', and I went back to put his adoption card in his bio packet, and walked in to his cage again.

This dog immediately climbed onto me, into my lap, and put both of his arms around my neck. He smashed his face into mine, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....he whined and licked and gave me 32,000 kisses.

I talked to him. I showed him his pink 'I'm adopted' card, (yes, they do know what that means in case you were wondering when you saw those videos where the guy goes into the kennel and places orange cards on adopted dogs cage doors), and he could not get close enough to me. It was like he was trying to climb inside my soul.

I knew it. I knew just by the photo that this was the dog.

At one point, I put him off of my lap to remove my cell phone and keys out of my pocket, and he sat right up next to my left side, his face forward so that I could see his profile.

There is ZERO doubt in the world that Sakari was Border Collie. If you were to paint this dog's face with all black fur, his face would look EXACTLY like Sakari's face.

He is small, just like her. He's about 3 pounds more than her, and he's 2 years old, so he's grown.

This is what I was hoping to find. A small Border Collie that was affectionate. I already know he's intelligent, and he poured on the affection.

After about 15 minutes of this, I told him, 'Tomorrow is Christmas. You just have to go to sleep one more time, and then you're free."

I put his adoption card in his packet, boinked his little nose through the cage, and walked away.

This is my new dog:

(Government site, so no copyright.)

I love him already.

He's got a ton of energy, just like I'm used to with my BC mix Sakari. I live on a lake. We will have many adventures.

I pick him up tomorrow because he has to be snipped, first. Then, he comes home with me. The cats will be ticked, but they will get used to it.

I have 12 years of experience dealing with a Border Collie - mix or not, she was very much Border Collie. I know how stubborn they can be. I know how manipulative they can be. I know how bored they can get, easily. I also know that most of those 'mind games' at the pet store are a complete insult to them, so I have already learned how to create much more difficult games for this type of dog.

His fur is longer. I can't wait to get him on the raw food diet so that it starts looking gorgeous. Right now, he needs a bath and some grooming.

I miss Sakari so much, and I will probably never get over the loss - especially because of the way it happened, but if I'm going to have another dog, love another dog - this is the dog.

And he will benefit from everything I've learned over the past 12 years with Sakari, the first year being the hardest. Hard for me, becauseI didn't know much at all about the BC temperament and unbelievable intelligence. I know now.

And no, I'm not keeping that dumb name 'Bogo'. I will have to come up with something. It has to be original.

I will provide better photos once he's with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 01:53 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
What a lovely story! Talk about fate! He is gorgeous . . . may the two of you have many happy adventures together. You both deserve it!

Old 09-15-2022, 01:54 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Aw, he's precious. I think most of us knew that this would happen sooner than later!

The way you describe Sakari and this dog reminds me so much of my girl, who is a "Labrabor" (Lab/Border Collie mix). Her personality is more Border Collie than Lab, though she looks more like a Lab. I almost gave up on her 4 times when she was a puppy. Then I realized: she is mine. I will never give up on her, and I never have. I saw those breed specific rescue sites with numerous black labs in shelters waiting to be adopted, and that was just one city. Nope.

Looking forward to seeing photos and hearing stories!

Old 09-15-2022, 02:00 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
James Herriott was totally supportive of getting another dog when you lose one. You will never replace Sakari, and that is not what you are/were doing. But "Bogo" seems to know what you needed and now you have another chance at a once in a lifetime friend.

Best wishes for both of you!

Old 09-15-2022, 08:17 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
With a name like "BOGO", I'd be prepared for 2!

Old 09-15-2022, 08:26 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I always feel that there is one that speaks to you (a bonded pair in my case) you know before you even meet them. They are the ones that belong with you, they are the next step in your world. I love the BCs, intense, independent but loving, brilliant and intuitive, wishing you and (needs a much better name) a long and wonderful life together.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:59 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Glad to hear you found a new dog!

Yes, I do believe you can see a photo of a dog and know it is the dog for you. 11 yrs ago when I started looking for another dog, I did not want a puppy. Several people sent me photos of adorable puppies and I said no not going to do a puppy. Then a friend posted a photo of a puppy in a high kill Texas shelter (I am in Ca). I took one look and that photo screamed I am your dog! I adopted her from that Texas shelter sight unseen. I have never regretted a day of the past 11 years as yes Chaos is my dog. She is a fantastic dog.

I wish you that same luck with your new dog!

Old 09-16-2022, 05:54 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
With a name like "BOGO", I'd be prepared for 2!
Thought the same thing (buy one get one free).

But I think Bogo is a fantastic name for a dog, first time I've heard it.

OP, enjoy your new pal!!

Old 09-16-2022, 09:38 AM

383 posts, read 664,546 times
Congratulations. I was done 2 years ago when we lost Petey. My husband was not and he found a bonded pair online. I put in the application thinking we would never hear from them. Long story short, 2 years ago at the start of Covid we added 2 dogs to our home.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:58 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
A dog-shaped hole in your heart can only be filled by one thing: another dog. Congratulations on finding your new buddy so quickly! He's not Sakari and never will be, and that's fine. Bogo's himself, and he's your dog now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs