Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 02:05 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,866,614 times

Advertisements

I love Big Mutts and I can not lie...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 12:04 AM

13,080 posts, read 7,533,882 times
cared for a, female, shih tsu, 7-10yo. My sister inherited her when Mom passed. She just passed last month, at 17yo, years at the beach.
She definitely had a independent personality and like most shih tsu's will always say hello.

We have a shih tsu, on the bottom floor. Now 1 yo. He's always happy to see anyone. His whole body wiggles and waggles when he greets you.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:31 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,165,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
This is how we feel-after getting a couple dogs from breeders, we decided to only adopt senior dogs. Never regretted it. My heart dog was an older Boxer who was passed up by many because he had a history of cancer. The year+ we had him was the best. Everyone loved him including neighbor kids who were afraid of dogs.
My BIL and his wife have a Boxer/Boston Terrier mix. He's big, at about 70 lbs, and the very essence of "good boy". He's obedient, friendly (with family) and patient with my crazy happy shih tsu. He's such a sweet heart.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:40 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,165,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
cared for a, female, shih tsu, 7-10yo. My sister inherited her when Mom passed. She just passed last month, at 17yo, years at the beach.
She definitely had a independent personality and like most shih tsu's will always say hello.

We have a shih tsu, on the bottom floor. Now 1 yo. He's always happy to see anyone. His whole body wiggles and waggles when he greets you.
We have a 1 1/2 yr old male shih tsu. He's big for a shih tsu at 20 lbs. He is a happy, friendly little clown. He does so many funny things. He likes to play fetch, and his favorite toys are shoes. Not all shoes, but he has 2 pair that are his toys. There's also his 'ball'...which actually, is not a ball. It's a pink stuffed octopus. But if you ask him "where's your ball?" That's what he'll bring to you.

He IS my lap dog, and joins me on the couch most evenings, in between the times he wants to play fetch.

And that boy TALKS. It's the funniest thing to me. Lots of vocalizations. lol

Old 06-10-2022, 10:58 AM

15,221 posts, read 10,331,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I love big dogs. The bigger the better. But they take up a lot of space and with the cost of groceries going so high, the cost of feeding them becomes an issue.

I love the tiny dogs, too. They can fit just about anywhere and perch on your shoulder and they are smart and trainable and sociable. Bred to cuddle and to be a lap dog. They are real dogs and act like real dogs if you treat them like a real dog. They fit under the airline seat so they are easy to travel with. They are cheap to feed even if they get a luxury diet.

Medium size seems to be a good compromise. They can still do big dog things, you don't have to worry about hawks taking them, and they still fit in your lap, with a bit of scrunching.

What size do you all like having around the house?
I have a 5 pound Yorkie, a 50 pound Louisiana Catahoula mix and my BF has a 30 pound Pug. I'm only missing super large.

Oh, and I have a cat who loves the dogs but doesn't like other cats which is not good because we have a very sweet stray cat who has been hanging around.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:06 AM

14,507 posts, read 12,148,609 times
Why are there no pictures on this thread?

I have had mostly big dogs.... retrievers, a dalmation, other bird-dog crosses.

We currently have two corgis and a Livestock Guardian, so both ends of the spectrum. :-)

This is the only pic of all three I can find on this computer... the LGD was only about 6 months here, not full grown yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Size of Dog-2020-12-12-02.16.52-1.jpg  

Old 06-10-2022, 12:16 PM

36,576 posts, read 30,907,841 times
I am also a fan of big dogs but I dont choose a dog based on size. Actually I dont choose them at all, God or perhaps Satan does that for me.

Currently I have two German Shepherds, two black and tan coonhound mixes, and one freak show, size medium.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:46 PM

4,259 posts, read 3,181,121 times
Right now I have a 9 year old Mini Schnauzer and a 2 year old KNPV Dutch Shepherd. The mini is around 20 pounds and the Dutch in the mid 70s. The Dutch is a REAL handful and takes 4-5 hours a day of physical and mental stimulation. I've had many different breeds over the last 50 years from bird dogs (Springers), hound dogs (Beagles), mutts, and Wolf hybrids that were as large as 120 pounds. I've owned several working line GSDs in the 80-100 pound range. Spent plenty of time around Dobes and Pits. In my 70's, the Dutch is far more dog than I ever bargained for!!!

Old 06-10-2022, 08:11 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
We lost our Golden Retriever last year. She's been our heaviest dog (85 pounds). We also have a German Shepherd who is tall but on the lean side (75ish pounds). And we have a medium sized Staffy mix (35 pounds).

Old 06-11-2022, 07:08 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,404,025 times
I have come to love the medium sizes!!
But i will always get second hand dogs and most likely always,
( in honor of my favorite breed , rottweilers,) a black and tan with eyebrows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs