Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 10:56 AM

330 posts, read 268,061 times

Advertisements

I listed my puppy on craigslist for $150. The last one of the litter. I had a guy come by to pick him up, but he seemed sort of out of the ordinary. He was dressed in black goth clothing, a black trench coat, piercings all over his face, didn't say much, seemed pretty reclusive. Wasn't much of a talker and just wanted to pay and leave. He also smelled strongly of marijuana.

I didn't want to tell him that I didn't feel comfortable selling to him, so I told him that I actually made a mistake on the price and was actually higher. He then got really upset and angry with me and wanted me to take the $150 since he was already there. I said sorry. He then got in his car and sped off. Was I wrong for turning him down? I really don't like to judge people and have been feeling bad about it these past few days, but he just didn't seem like a animal person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 11:09 AM

13,929 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Telling him the dog is Higher may come back & Bite you on the Butt! You should have out right told him NO! You will Not sell to him!

1 telling him the price has increased you set your self up of Having to sell to him if he comes up with the money. By Law!!

2 By refusing to sell to him & you need not say why the Law is on your side.

When you sell live animals You have the Right to pick & Chose the Best home!

BTW with Legal Marijuana you can NOT use that as excuse! No more than you can turn away a Drunk! BUT IF you Really Screen people you can elimanate the worst.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:51 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
In future, do some initial screening over the phone before your buyer is allowed to see the puppies.

Also, I seriously recomend a home check to make sure the home is safe. Verify that they have a family vet and will give you the vet as a reference.

The anger about being refused the pup is your verification that you did the correct thing.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:51 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In future, do some initial screening over the phone before your buyer is allowed to see the puppies.

Also, I seriously recomend a home check to make sure the home is safe. Verify that they have a family vet and will give you the vet as a reference.

The anger about being refused the pup is your verification that you did the correct thing.
Any reasonable person would be upset if they drove somewhere to buy something at a listed price only to be told that the price was higher than advertised.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:53 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
OP, it seems like you need to set up some type of screening process.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:48 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,943 times
I always follow my instincts...that gut feeling. Good for you.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:54 PM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Any reasonable person would be upset if they drove somewhere to buy something at a listed price only to be told that the price was higher than advertised.
Yes indeed.

Goth & pot smokers can be animal lovers too.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:39 PM

768 posts, read 860,378 times
Did you need the money this bad to subject a poor putty to who knows what kind of life? So sad.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:18 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,001,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I completely agree. Vet references would be good. AFAIK, something felt off for you, and that's good enough. However, none of the characteristics you mention should be disqualifying - except the temper tantrum. So, yeah, set up some sort of screening to figure out if the pup is going to a good home.

Also, although state laws vary, I'd expect it to be meaningless, legally, if you change your mind about price, or even selling at all. This is a private transaction, you aren't a business. I'm pretty sure you can sell, or not, at your whim, regardless of the reasons.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:35 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Telling him the dog is Higher may come back & Bite you on the Butt! You should have out right told him NO! You will Not sell to him! ONLY ANSWER THAT MAKES SENSE.

1 telling him the price has increased you set your self up of Having to sell to him if he comes up with the money. By Law!! Love it when the LAW is stated with NO REFERENCE TO LOCAL/STATE CODES. Laws on this subject are different from state-to-state, and if it is illegal to sell after you tell them it is a higher price than originally agreed to it is also illegal not to sell for the original amount quoted.

2 By refusing to sell to him & you need not say why the Law is on your side. In most states (NOT ALL STATES) verbal contracts are not valid.

When you sell live animals You have the Right to pick & Chose the Best home

BTW with Legal Marijuana you can NOT use that as excuse! No more than you can turn away a Drunk! BUT IF you Really Screen people you can elimanate the worst.

I would love to see the law that says you cannot refuse entry to a DRUNK on to your PRIVATE property. Please supply CODE and governing entity. You are basically saying if a stumping drunk comes to your house to look at a puppy; by law you are required to allow them to enter! REALLY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs