Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 05:44 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In future, do some initial screening over the phone before your buyer is allowed to see the puppies. GOOD IDEA

Also, I seriously recomend a home check to make sure the home is safe. Verify that they have a family vet and will give you the vet as a reference. What if they don't have a vet? However, other reference can be used as some rescues use personal references if a person has no vet.

The anger about being refused the pup is your verification that you did the correct thing.
Well, if it was me and they refused due to the way I was dressed. I would also be upset. We all don't dress the way others want us to dress.

I once went to a dealer to order a Corvette dressed as I was after working in the yard on a 90 degree day in TN and no one in the dealer would hardly talk to me. Went back the next day, dressede really nice, spent an hour with a salesman and the manager, then told them to shove it, explained why and left.

Went to another dealer and ordered.
Never judge a book by its cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 08:44 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I would love to see the law that says you cannot refuse entry to a DRUNK on to your PRIVATE property. Please supply CODE and governing entity. You are basically saying if a stumping drunk comes to your house to look at a puppy; by law you are required to allow them to enter! REALLY?
NO NOT What I said.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:58 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I completely agree. Vet references would be good. AFAIK, something felt off for you, and that's good enough. However, none of the characteristics you mention should be disqualifying - except the temper tantrum. So, yeah, set up some sort of screening to figure out if the pup is going to a good home.

Also, although state laws vary, I'd expect it to be meaningless, legally, if you change your mind about price, or even selling at all. This is a private transaction, you aren't a business. I'm pretty sure you can sell, or not, at your whim, regardless of the reasons.
With me it WAS a Business License & ALL including paying Sales Tax & Claiming puppy sales on my FED & Local State Taxes!

I Dont know IF there is or Was a Law or Code on the books BUT I WAS Sued Twice! First was For what the orginal poster did Raising prices when I didnt like the person that showed up. I Lost & had to sell him Pick of my Next litter for the price I org told him. Judge told me I Should just said NO as a Live animal I have the right to Refuse sale But Only with a FIRM NO.
2nd time I Won all I told the person was NO... actually had to toss him off my property! I WON!

Old 02-09-2021, 11:55 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
Please stop breeding dogs and selling on Craigslist.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:28 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Any reasonable person would be upset if they drove somewhere to buy something at a listed price only to be told that the price was higher than advertised.

Upset, yes. Temper tantrum and trying to bully the seller, not OK. You don't want to place a defenseless puppy into a home with a person who has anger issues and a temper he can't control. There is too much potential risk to the dog.

Of course, selling puppies to strangers who show up with cash is very likely to put your puppy in danger, anyway. Potential homes for living creatures need to be carefully screened and carefully selected. Responsible breeders are very careful where puppies are placed and do their best to ensure the pup has landed in a safe forever home.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:42 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
Generally, good breeders, perform verifications on perspective buyers and reserve the right to not sell to anyone they deem unsuitable. That said, I'm curious at to what breed of dog you were selling at that price. Good breeders spend hundreds of dollars per litter on shots, vet visits and the dam and sire undergo a series of genetic and health tests. Was this an accidental breeding?

Old 02-10-2021, 04:47 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Why are we selling puppies on Craigslist?

Old 02-11-2021, 09:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I listed my puppy on craigslist for $150. The last one of the litter. I had a guy come by to pick him up, but he seemed sort of out of the ordinary. He was dressed in black goth clothing, a black trench coat, piercings all over his face, didn't say much, seemed pretty reclusive. Wasn't much of a talker and just wanted to pay and leave. He also smelled strongly of marijuana.

I didn't want to tell him that I didn't feel comfortable selling to him, so I told him that I actually made a mistake on the price and was actually higher. He then got really upset and angry with me and wanted me to take the $150 since he was already there. I said sorry. He then got in his car and sped off. Was I wrong for turning him down? I really don't like to judge people and have been feeling bad about it these past few days, but he just didn't seem like a animal person.
Go with your gut. You don't have to sell to anyone you don't want to.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Why are we selling puppies on Craigslist?
Perhaps it is better than Wal Mart parking lot.
Who are you to judge. Obviously the OP cares enough not to sell to someone who doesn't feel right.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:17 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
With me it WAS a Business License & ALL including paying Sales Tax & Claiming puppy sales on my FED & Local State Taxes!

I Dont know IF there is or Was a Law or Code on the books BUT I WAS Sued Twice! First was For what the orginal poster did Raising prices when I didnt like the person that showed up. I Lost & had to sell him Pick of my Next litter for the price I org told him. Judge told me I Should just said NO as a Live animal I have the right to Refuse sale But Only with a FIRM NO.
2nd time I Won all I told the person was NO... actually had to toss him off my property! I WON!
Well, Katie, there is a difference there - you WERE operating as a business. The laws on selling at an advertised price, as a business, DO vary from state to state. Some states forbid price changes, and I'm pretty sure some don't. Not being a lawyer, I'm not 100% on that - but I know if I went to a store today and complained because the marked price on the shelf wasn't the price at the register, some places can legally say too bad, so sad.

But we are talking about private sales here.

However, your advice to "Just say NO" is good advice, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs