Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 05:05 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times

Advertisements

A property owner up the road has a male and female cur dog chained up guarding his roosters. (He does not live on property; just has a bunch of roosters) He allowed the dogs to breed and now there are six pups running on the road and around neighboring properties.

The pups don't have a chance of surviving long. If the coyotes or Bobcats don't get them the cars will.

I'm considering snatching them.

Last edited by Wartrace; 03-16-2019 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 05:35 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Go snatch them and keep them safe at least for the time being and then when they are old enough get them good homes where they will be loved unfortunately unless the idiot up the road spays mama dog chances are this will happen again . I wish states would put in a mandatory spay and neuter law unless you can show proof you show those dogs .

Old 03-16-2019, 05:59 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
No snatching, it's a crime.

Do you have a Humane Society near you? Discuss with them.

Talk with the owners....ask them to let you take them and find them homes...they'll be grateful no doubt. Then ask HS to help you...

Old 03-16-2019, 06:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
^ This. I'd also call animal control and see if there are ordinances in your area about leaving dogs chained 24/7. They (and local LE) also might be interested in what he's using all those roosters for.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Ditto call animal control. If chained up they can't even defend themselves properly from coyotes.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:07 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
The proper thing is to call animal control but if your animal control is ineffective then I would snatch them, may not be legal but it's right.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:01 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
We had near us up in Magalia two women attacked by nine dogs - all dogs from the same owner who was in court the same day, cited for keeping too many dogs. They were Rotts and Pit mixes, as far as I know.
Both women were taken to a hospital in serious condition.

Neighbors claim they were complaining to animal control about the threat these animals represented but no action was taken. They claim the owner had as many as twenty dogs on the property sometimes.

I don't think animal control is interested in anything else than get fines and giving out citations. I carry a big knife when walking our Airedale and if we are at more isolated locations I carry something else.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:08 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Call Bedford County Animal Contol. https://m.facebook.com/BedfordCountyAnimalControl/

I'm not sure how much help you will get from them, in a case like this (the pups aren't abandoned), but it's worth a phone call

Don't try and take the pups without the owner's permission as it could land you a court date. If the situation is bad enough and Animal Control comes out, you might stand a chance of getting the pups to foster.

Good luck finding a resolution -- I am sick to death of irresponsible people. I was naive enough in my youth to think things would be better by now but they have become worse

I'm sorry I can't help if the pups do get confiscated. I have a rescued Catahoula/Pit mix and young Rottweiler that was rehomed to me last December, plus I still have horses. At my age, I just can't take on anymore

Old 03-16-2019, 09:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
We had near us up in Magalia two women attacked by nine dogs - all dogs from the same owner who was in court the same day, cited for keeping too many dogs. They were Rotts and Pit mixes, as far as I know.
Both women were taken to a hospital in serious condition.

Neighbors claim they were complaining to animal control about the threat these animals represented but no action was taken. They claim the owner had as many as twenty dogs on the property sometimes.

I don't think animal control is interested in anything else than get fines and giving out citations. I carry a big knife when walking our Airedale and if we are at more isolated locations I carry something else.
Probably true in many cases. I think there's something more going on here, though. The guy in the OP has a bunch of roosters on his property, and the usual reason for having a bunch of roosters and not much else but a couple of dogs to guard them is a felony in all 50 states.

ETA — OP, since the puppies are running around off the guy's property, you've got every legal right to snatch them as long as you don't take them from the property itself. You said they're running along the roads and stuff — snatch them from there if you can. I doubt he'll be calling the law on you anyway.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-16-2019 at 09:48 PM..

Old 03-16-2019, 09:38 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Probably true in many cases. I think there's something more going on here, though. The guy in the OP has a bunch of roosters on his property, and the usual reason for having a bunch of roosters and not much else but a couple of dogs to guard them is a felony in all 50 states.

My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
A property owner up the road has a male and female cur dog chained up guarding his roosters. (He does not live on property; just has a bunch of roosters) He allowed the dogs to breed and now there are six pups running on the road and around neighboring properties.

The pups don't have a chance of surviving long. If the coyotes or Bobcats don't get them the cars will.

I'm considering snatching them.
Well, snatching them is illegal, as others have noted. However, you do say they are wandering on other properties.

This may not be quite applicable, but if you find an untagged, unregistered dog on your property, and you do not know who the owner is, it would be lost property. In which case it would then be FOUND property, with you as the finder. The legal status of dogs as found property is VERY cloudy, but generally you should call your local animal control inside 48 hours, after which animal control would likely let you take care of the dog, should you want.

Here's a technical review of various states and options. https://www.animallaw.info/article/o...g-legal-issues. It IS on the technical side, but it gives you a good picture of the variety of legal statuses around the country in such a situation. THIS link is simpler, by far, but ultimately may not be as accurate: https://resources.lawinfo.com/insura...as-my-own.html. Keep in mind the 2nd link is for MICHIGAN. TN will be different, but how its different I don't know. OTOH, I don't think the animal control officers are going to care if you tell them you want to care for the pups. To them it would just take a problem off their hands, I'm sure.

And another consideration would be how much this neighbor would care if you "found" the pups - or even just started caring for them in his place, as a good-faith neighbor.

Best option would be to talk to the neighbor next time you see him. If that's going to be a long while, take the pups in and foster them until the neighbor comes around. Be prepared for the neighbor to say he wants the dogs back - but at least you'll have done the right thing. If the dogs are running loose, you can sic animal control on him at any time.

BTW - I'm assuming the pups are past weaning age - since they are running around on other properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs