Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 11:52 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,898,500 times

Advertisements

So this is what I would do, since that was the question posed in the OP, and I'll be blunt:

Those involved in cockfighting are the worst kind of trash, and I'd avoid engaging with this guy.

Although it's somewhat possible that the puppies are the result of negligence on his part, it's also likely that they're a cash crop in their own right. Puppies are commonly used as bait to train fighting dogs, and he's clearly already involved animal gaming, so he's got the connections for that.

If I were in your place, the pups would disappear. No neighborly discussions, no offers to foster, nothing, nada. You found puppies on the road and have no clue where they came from and did what any decent human would do to ensure they were cared for. Your local Humane Society may be able help you out with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 04:27 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
The proper thing is to call animal control but if your animal control is ineffective then I would snatch them, may not be legal but it's right.

Also my thoughts our animal control is worthless as well . I guess some of these posters would rather see the puppies dead in the road because snatching is against the law . well sometimes the law is stupid and not right . Sometimes Gods law is more important and im more interested in what God thinks of me than some mans law ,

Old 03-17-2019, 05:46 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,076,584 times
No snatching. Talk to your neighbor and offer to help the puppies find homes. Start the conversation with, “It must be so hard to take care of all these dogs!” or something like it. Use neutral, non-judgemental words and tone even if you want to throat punch this person. If you put someone on the defensive they will fight you.

Are there laws in your area about “outdoor” dogs or dogs on chains in your area? Because those are both violations in mine and it’s a steep fine at the very least. Might also be worth mentioning to your neighbor.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:50 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,704,281 times
Hard to know what to do. Depends on how good your local shelter is. I'd be inclined to snatch them and turn them in.

I live in the NoVA area where we have tons of non-profit rescue groups that are linked up with shelters in the south and the bring these pups up north all the time (we have a big market here for people wanting rescued dogs). Very hard to find "puppies" in this area and we have our pet overbreeding situation fairly well control.

I, myself, just "rescued" a Cur (I suspect) dog who had been living in a "yard" with her sibling. Mother was apparently the town tramp and just had litter after litter.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:19 AM

1,665 posts, read 1,931,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So this is what I would do, since that was the question posed in the OP, and I'll be blunt:

Those involved in cockfighting are the worst kind of trash, and I'd avoid engaging with this guy.

Although it's somewhat possible that the puppies are the result of negligence on his part, it's also likely that they're a cash crop in their own right. Puppies are commonly used as bait to train fighting dogs, and he's clearly already involved animal gaming, so he's got the connections for that.

If I were in your place, the pups would disappear. No neighborly discussions, no offers to foster, nothing, nada. You found puppies on the road and have no clue where they came from and did what any decent human would do to ensure they were cared for. Your local Humane Society may be able help you out with this.
^^^This, which I didn't think about and certainly should have. These types of people are capable of burning someone's house down or shooting their dogs or livestock.

You should have bolded some of your thoughts, so people would pay attention

If that is what is going on, it's going to be rough as h*** to get Animal Control out.

Wartrace,. If those pups do go missing, make sure you are NOT anywhere near the property they live on. I would bet a month's pay there are game cams set up everywhere -- you don't want your picture on them ----

Old 03-17-2019, 06:21 AM

8,131 posts, read 12,870,396 times
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will be contacting the county animal control however from what I've seen in this area loose dogs are very common. I walk by the place every day and it would break my heart to see a pup run over.

If A/C doesn't do anything about it I am sure it will work out for the pups somehow.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:31 AM

24,149 posts, read 32,644,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
A property owner up the road has a male and female cur dog chained up guarding his roosters. (He does not live on property; just has a bunch of roosters) He allowed the dogs to breed and now there are six pups running on the road and around neighboring properties.

The pups don't have a chance of surviving long. If the coyotes or Bobcats don't get them the cars will.

I'm considering snatching them.
This is very sad and uncaring. Also irresponsible. I also feel sorry for the adult dogs What a horrible life!

I would snatch up the puppies and take them to a humane shelter that does not kill animals. I'd probably keep one for myself.

Are the adult dogs housed? Are they protected from the elements - heat and cold? Does he give them food and water? Why does he have a bunch of roosters on property where he doesn't live? Why doesn't he just take them to his own home? Why is he keeping a bunch of roosters anyway? Roosters can't breed without hens. Is he involved with c*ck fighting?

I think this individual has more problems with the law that puppies on the lose. I doupt he's be calling the cops on you if you snatched (saved) these pups. At least in my county he's breaking all kinds of laws.

What is a cur dog? In it a regional term for a mutt? Or some kind of breed?

Last edited by sheena12; 03-17-2019 at 06:42 AM..

Old 03-17-2019, 06:53 AM

8,131 posts, read 12,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This is very sad and uncaring. Also irresponsible. I also feel sorry for the adult dogs What a horrible life!

I would snatch up the puppies and take them to a humane shelter that does not kill animals. I'd probably keep one for myself.

Are the adult dogs housed? Are they protected from the elements - heat and cold? Does he give them food and water? Why does he have a bunch of roosters on property where he doesn't live? Why doesn't he just take them to his own home? Why is he keeping a bunch of roosters anyway? Roosters can't breed without hens. Is he involved with **** fighting?
I've never met the guy. The "back story" is this guy purchased the property two or three years ago and I am assuming he had planned to build a home on it. The property owner of the road frontage is building some small homes for resale which upset the "rooster guy" as he hadn't anticipated three homes being built in front of his property. He then had a dispute with the builder because he wouldn't allow an easement for above ground power across to the rooster guys property.

As soon as the second home's foundation was being poured the roosters showed up right along the property line behind the houses being built. The "rooster guy's" property is 13 acres +/- and has plenty of other places the birds could live on. I suspect the roosters were placed there to hamper the sale of the properties and upset the builders plans.

I do not know if he is involved in fighting the birds or if he just has them because they are loud.

I have not seen the living conditions for the dogs as they are well off the road and I don't want to trespass.

Cur dog - https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/black-mouth-cur#/slide/1

The cur dog is pretty common in the south.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Also my thoughts our animal control is worthless as well . I guess some of these posters would rather see the puppies dead in the road because snatching is against the law . well sometimes the law is stupid and not right . Sometimes Gods law is more important and im more interested in what God thinks of me than some mans law ,
It depends. Many times they ARE worthless, phonelady61. In my area, which is pretty average when it comes to Animal Control, the dogs would need rabies vaccinations at the very least, and I don't think those dogs have ever seen the inside of a vet's office - or maybe even a house. Which brings me to the issue of keeping dogs chained 24/7 without shelter. Rules here are not as strict as I'd like, but at minimum, an enclosed area, and some insulation in the dog house. Puppies running wild, un- inoculated, and and unlicensed and two adult dogs chained all hours of the day...none of this would be acceptable here, or in most places. I am guessing it's a rural area, because I live in a small, suburban like city. People would not tolerate that stuff for one minute.

And of course, the adult males and female will continue to reproduce, litter after litter.

And I do agree, sometimes being merciful and kind is the patch to take, and God's law supersedes faith.
Nice post.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I've never met the guy. The "back story" is this guy purchased the property two or three years ago and I am assuming he had planned to build a home on it. The property owner of the road frontage is building some small homes for resale which upset the "rooster guy" as he hadn't anticipated three homes being built in front of his property. He then had a dispute with the builder because he wouldn't allow an easement for above ground power across to the rooster guys property.

As soon as the second home's foundation was being poured the roosters showed up right along the property line behind the houses being built. The "rooster guy's" property is 13 acres +/- and has plenty of other places the birds could live on. I suspect the roosters were placed there to hamper the sale of the properties and upset the builders plans.

I do not know if he is involved in fighting the birds or if he just has them because they are loud.

I have not seen the living conditions for the dogs as they are well off the road and I don't want to trespass.

Cur dog - https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/black-mouth-cur#/slide/1

The cur dog is pretty common in the south.
That's interesting. I've heard the word "cur" but I didn't really know what it meant - I actually though it was a disparaging term for a mutt. They actually sound like nice dogs.

Anyway, I don't blame you for not trespassing on this guy's property. "Rooster guy" sounds like he might shoot first and ask questions later. I think I've encountered his type before and they don't make for good neighbors, parents or pet owners. Besides fighting birds, which I think is illegal everywhere, I'll bet he is involved in some other shady activities. Maybe drugs. He just seems to have anti-social tenancies.

That makes sense that the roosters and maybe even the dogs are there to ward off potential home buyers and as a kind of revenge for infringing on his property - where he may have wanted to live in seclusion.

I would call animal control. The whole thing sounds like a mess to me. I think in the long run, it might be solved when people buy and inhabit the newly built homes. No mater how small or modest, most home owners don't want to live near noisy roosters or chained barking dogs, not to mention constant litters of puppies running all over.

I hope everything works out for you and those dogs. No dogs should have to live that way.

Let us know what happens. Wishing you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs