Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 07:36 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,754,338 times

Advertisements

There's a thread on CD now where folks are raging against the idea of taking an "Emotional Support Animal" on a flight. As a frequent flyer, I agree, that these animals don't really belong on a flight, but mainly because of the animal's comfort.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...t-animals.html

Teddy (my elderly Sheltie) has been a faithful companion through some very, very difficult times. Two years ago, my husband shot himself in front of this sensitive and beautiful dog. She's not been the same since, but she's getting better all the time. And Teddy has provided me with much comfort and solace. She's a delightful companion.

Do you take your dog with you as often as possible? Do you object to seeing dogs (appropriately trained and well behaved) out in retail stores or in church?

Teddy at church!

PS. Teddy does have the appropriate paperwork (from my doctor) to be an ESA. She's shown here (above) without her vest. Oops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 08:12 AM

163 posts, read 145,200 times
No, I don't object!! I love seeing animals! Especially support animals. They are so wonderful! (I'm sorry to read about your husband, how awful. )

I can understand people being upset about an animal in a closed space like an airplane. Some people do have allergies. Some people don't even know they do until it's too late. My good friends stayed with us for a few days to go to a mutual friends wedding. Unfortunately, after a large doctor cost and medication he was on the mend, but what a huge pain! He almost missed the wedding. They have dogs themselves so this was new to him. Her husbands bottom lip swelled up so bad. It was my dogs dander they found out. He ended up having the same thing happen to him after he got home again. So he didn't have allergies all his life.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,794,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
There's a thread on CD now where folks are raging against the idea of taking an "Emotional Support Animal" on a flight. As a frequent flyer, I agree, that these animals don't really belong on a flight, but mainly because of the animal's comfort.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...t-animals.html

Teddy (my elderly Sheltie) has been a faithful companion through some very, very difficult times. Two years ago, my husband shot himself in front of this sensitive and beautiful dog. She's not been the same since, but she's getting better all the time. And Teddy has provided me with much comfort and solace. She's a delightful companion.

Do you take your dog with you as often as possible? Do you object to seeing dogs (appropriately trained and well behaved) out in retail stores or in church?

Teddy at church!

PS. Teddy does have the appropriate paperwork (from my doctor) to be an ESA. She's shown here (above) without her vest. Oops.
I believe people abuse the emotional support animal category often and that it is causing negative fallout on the people who use service animals.

I also do not believe a persons need for an emotional support animal trumps the needs of those who are afraid or allergic to said animals unlike a service animals.

I have no particular opinion about your animal, but if there is someone at church who is negatively impacted by your dogs presence that is not fair. And by negatively impacted I do not mean just annoyed, but rather so afraid or allegic that they would avoid going to church in the future.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:32 PM

32,737 posts, read 48,376,508 times
OP, I am sorry to hear that you have a mental disability.

A legitimate emotional support animal is serving a disabled person, so I am much in favor them.

Your dog isn't allowed in church, OP , because she is an emotional support animal. Emotional support animals are only a protected class for housing and airlines. Nowhere else. Your dog is allowed in the church because your church is being a good sport about it.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:51 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,754,338 times
Oh brother...

I don't think PTSD is considered a "mental disability."

I was hopeful that this forum on kittens and puppies would be a little more friendly.

My bad.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:53 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,088,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveSpringNewb View Post
I can understand people being upset about an animal in a closed space like an airplane. Some people do have allergies. Some people don't even know they do until it's too late.
Unfortunately for them, the new restrictions on Delta (and likely other airlines to follow) won't guarantee anything for allergy sufferers... they still have to allow service animals, ESAs over 4 months old with proper paperwork, and pets whose owners have paid a fee to bring them on-board in a crate. It literally only applies to "ESA" animals 4 months old or younger.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:58 PM

And as a dog lover/owner, of course I don't mind seeing WELL-BEHAVED dogs in public... it's the ill-behaved ones I object to, along with the obviously fake "ESA/Service" animals in places they don't belong. For example, the lab-type pup I saw at a grocery store lunging (in a friendly manner) towards other customers & rooting through the garbage at checkout. Its owner was too busy staring at her cell phone to even notice, and when I mentioned something to the cashier, she was like "I can't say anything." Yes, yes you can. And that's the other problem! Public-serving businesses/orgs need to train their employees on the laws, and what they can or cannot ask/do in regards to service/ESA animals.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Oh brother...

I don't think PTSD is considered a "mental disability."

I was hopeful that this forum on kittens and puppies would be a little more friendly.

My bad.
I think everyone is being nice enough to you, and I doubt they meant any offense by that. Most people just don't know the proper terms - but for the record, PTSD is considered a "mental health condition." So basically the same thing, just worded a little differently.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20355967

Old 12-12-2018, 05:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,902,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And as a dog lover/owner, of course I don't mind seeing WELL-BEHAVED dogs in public... it's the ill-behaved ones I object to, along with the obviously fake "ESA/Service" animals in places they don't belong. For example, the lab-type pup I saw at a grocery store lunging (in a friendly manner) towards other customers & rooting through the garbage at checkout. Its owner was too busy staring at her cell phone to even notice, and when I mentioned something to the cashier, she was like "I can't say anything." Yes, yes you can. And that's the other problem! Public-serving businesses/orgs need to train their employees on the laws, and what they can or cannot ask/do in regards to service/ESA animals.
When she said, "I can't say anything," she was probably referring to store policy.

I think this sort of thing needs to be a manager's responsibility. Checkout clerks have it hard enough without having to police ESA fakers.

OP, I wouldn't have a problem with your dog in a church.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
When she said, "I can't say anything," she was probably referring to store policy.

I think this sort of thing needs to be a manager's responsibility. Checkout clerks have it hard enough without having to police ESA fakers.
Yes, but that is exactly my point... the LAW allows you to ask two questions, and also says you can eject a dog who isn't behaving. That's why I said they need more training, because whoever told them they couldn't ask any questions is flat-out wrong. I'm not even talking about "policing ESA fakers," either, since these rules apply to ANY dog regardless of their status as service/ESA animals. Really the issue polices itself, since it's highly unlikely that a legitimate one would be acting out in that manner.

And yeah, they actually should be responsible for monitoring those situations, since they're the ones most likely to be present. I'm not a manager at the library, but still know our policies - and I am expected to enforce them while on the public desk. What's the alternative? Just ignoring a dog who's lunging, barking, peeing, etc, and shrugging your shoulders at anyone who complains? That's basically what happened to me in that scenario, and it didn't leave me with a good impression. Fast way to lose customers!

Anyway, that's a little off topic since the OP's dog seems to be well-mannered and welcomed at their church. If that's the case, more power to them.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-12-2018 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs