Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 07:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, but that is exactly my point... the LAW allows you to ask two questions, and also says you can eject a dog who isn't behaving. That's why I said they need more training, because whoever told them they couldn't ask any questions is flat-out wrong. I'm not even talking about "policing ESA fakers," either, since these rules apply to ANY dog regardless of their status as service/ESA animals. Really the issue polices itself, since it's highly unlikely that a legitimate one would be acting out in that manner.

And yeah, they actually should be responsible for monitoring those situations, since they're the ones most likely to be present. I'm not a manager at the library, but still know our policies - and I am expected to enforce them while on the public desk. What's the alternative? Just ignoring a dog who's lunging, barking, peeing, etc, and shrugging your shoulders at anyone who complains? That's basically what happened to me in that scenario, and it didn't leave me with a good impression. Fast way to lose customers!
I know what the LAW says and what questions they can ask, but many stores have individual policies about this for reasons of their own. I suspect it's because they can't legally ask for any sort of proof, which makes it kind of moot. When the employee said she "can't," she could have been talking about store policy (not defending it; just saying this exists). This is the sort of thing I was talking about:

https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr...o-to-the-dogs/

Quote:
With such confusing laws and fear of lawsuits, most stores simply allow the dogs without question. And the more people see dogs in businesses, the more people will feel free to bring their own animals out – oblivious to the law.
We're going to have to disagree about your second point. A manager should have been called, or better yet, been aware enough to notice the situation in the first place and do something about it. The clerk, and everyone else, might have been better off by the time the woman with her lab got to the checkout line by just hurrying them through.

Maybe you can contact the management of this store and complain. I agree with you that it's an unpleasant situation and I might have stuck around and talked to a manager in your place.

Anyway...

Quote:
Do you take your dog with you as often as possible? Do you object to seeing dogs (appropriately trained and well behaved) out in retail stores or in church?
No, I don't take him out with me much and never to stores. Doesn't bother me much to see them in stores, but it doesn't happen that much where I live.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-12-2018 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 10:33 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Oh brother...

I don't think PTSD is considered a "mental disability."

I was hopeful that this forum on kittens and puppies would be a little more friendly.

My bad.
Who has the PTSD, you, or the dog? Your dog having it doesn't entitle you to bring her everywhere and, unless she is a task-trained service dog, she is equally not entitled to go everywhere. If you have PTSD, you can task-train her to be an actual service dog

If you actually read ADA law you'd know that ESA are only granted legal right to access public places on airlines and in housing. Nowhere else, and the letter from your doctor does not change that fact. Like someone else said, the only reason you can bring her to church is because *your* church is cool with it. But you can't expect that same welcome mat being put out by other churches, or businesses.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:53 PM

The OP said nothing about barging into the church all self-entitled because her dog is an ESA. For all anyone here knows, Teddy is there with the full blessing of the pastor and members of the congregation.

SMH.

My only problem with ESAs is from a landlord's standpoint. Too many scammers.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-13-2018 at 04:04 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 05:37 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The OP said nothing about barging into the church all self-entitled because her dog is an ESA. For all anyone here knows, Teddy is there with the full blessing of the pastor and members of the congregation.

SMH.

My only problem with ESAs is from a landlord's standpoint. Too many scammers.
Thanks, Metlakatla. The pastor and his wife just lost their own beloved Sheltie (which is Teddy's breed), and they smile every time I walk in the door. It's very dear.

Teddy and I have been through a lot. She's extremely important to me, so I try to assuage her anxiety by taking her to church with me - when it's an option.

There's only been one complaint from a congregant, and apparently, the rest of the congregation is very supportive. I go to great lengths to make sure we stay on the rear pew and stay out of everyone's way.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Who has the PTSD, you, or the dog? Your dog having it doesn't entitle you to bring her everywhere and, unless she is a task-trained service dog, she is equally not entitled to go everywhere. If you have PTSD, you can task-train her to be an actual service dog

If you actually read ADA law you'd know that ESA are only granted legal right to access public places on airlines and in housing. Nowhere else, and the letter from your doctor does not change that fact. Like someone else said, the only reason you can bring her to church is because *your* church is cool with it. But you can't expect that same welcome mat being put out by other churches, or businesses.

What are you even saying? In your zeal to offer a misplaced diatribe, you inferred things that weren't even suggested in the OP, which clearly only references the OP's church, where the dog is welcome. As Martha Stewart might say, reading comprehension is a good thing.

Emotional Support Animals are allowed...wherever they're allowed. Contrary to your "nowhere else," you might be interested to know that that includes Wegmans, where I can't tell you how many times I've seen well-behaved ESAs accompanying shoppers.

And churches are private entities. What the ADA allows with respect to public access has nothing to do with churches. And I can guarantee you that the OP's church is hardly alone in allowing ESAs, anyway.

Don't choose to read something sinister into what was a lighthearted post. And don't assume that the OP is ignorant of ADA specs regarding ESAs...where they apply.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
There's a thread on CD now where folks are raging against the idea of taking an "Emotional Support Animal" on a flight. As a frequent flyer, I agree, that these animals don't really belong on a flight, but mainly because of the animal's comfort.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...t-animals.html

Teddy (my elderly Sheltie) has been a faithful companion through some very, very difficult times. Two years ago, my husband shot himself in front of this sensitive and beautiful dog. She's not been the same since, but she's getting better all the time. And Teddy has provided me with much comfort and solace. She's a delightful companion.

Do you take your dog with you as often as possible? Do you object to seeing dogs (appropriately trained and well behaved) out in retail stores or in church?

Teddy at church!

PS. Teddy does have the appropriate paperwork (from my doctor) to be an ESA. She's shown here (above) without her vest. Oops.

I'm sorry about your husband. My first husband also committed suicide. I think maybe your dog (beautiful btw) is probably feeding off your emotions, just my opinion. Anyway I posted in the other thread. My feelings are pretty much I dont buy into people needing to take pets everywhere for their emotional well being. That said, I dont mind pets in public, even seeing them in carts at Wal Mart. I would not mind if someone brought their dog to church and if its ok with the congregation I dont see a problem as long as they are well behaved.

I do take my dogs on short trips in my car weather permitting. I have taken them to outside ball practice. Thats it, not in any indoor public places. I take some of my dogs with me sometimes because THEY want to go. They are somewhat well behaved. The hounds are like toddlers, my female GSD whines, my male GSD is too fidgety, the old pit refuses to leave the property and my mutt, well his Indian name is Freak show if that tells you anything. He also witnessed his family, save one brother, gunned down. My nephew (inherited the dog from him) thinks he suffers PTSD because of it. I think he is just a weirdo.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Metlakatla. The pastor and his wife just lost their own beloved Sheltie (which is Teddy's breed), and they smile every time I walk in the door. It's very dear.
I had a border collie/sheltie mix years ago. Good dog.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:01 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,295 times
Quote:
There's a thread on CD now where folks are raging against the idea of taking an "Emotional Support Animal" on a flight. As a frequent flyer, I agree, that these animals don't really belong on a flight, but mainly because of the animal's comfort.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...t-animals.html

Teddy (my elderly Sheltie) has been a faithful companion through some very, very difficult times. Two years ago, my husband shot himself in front of this sensitive and beautiful dog. She's not been the same since, but she's getting better all the time. And Teddy has provided me with much comfort and solace. She's a delightful companion.

Teddy at church!

PS. Teddy does have the appropriate paperwork (from my doctor) to be an ESA. She's shown here (above) without her vest. Oops.
I would like to see the whole "ESA" nonsense done away with completely. I am THRILLED with Delta's new policy and hope others follow suit. I take my dogs where dogs are allowed to go. They are welcome in many, if not most, retail stores in my town. I object to seeing people claim special status to get their dogs in places where the rest of us cannot take our dogs, the exception being LEGITIMATE service dogs, highly trained to perform specific tasks and needed as a MEDICAL necessity. We all know that doctors and shrinks hand out those letters like a Pez dispenser - all you have to do is ask and most won't refuse it. If they do, you can buy one off the internet. It means nothing. An ESA letter does NOT give you public access. Of course, you can always buy they *$%#ing service dog vest and badge off the internet too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs