Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 08:09 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times

Advertisements

So, the vet just called and said he thinks it was heart failure. Freddie’s heart was enlarged, and the symptoms fit. Why it happened now, instead of last year, or next year, is something we’ll never know. He said it could have been stress from being in the kennel, but he does fine there, and he had been home a day before it started.

Anyway, that’s that. We’re still reeling. I’m so glad we have the second dachshund. It helps to still have a little warm dog in my lap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 08:09 AM

4,696 posts, read 3,480,233 times
I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you were able to bring happiness to him while he was with you.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 AM

4,539 posts, read 3,762,449 times
I’m so sorry, it’s hard when it’s unexpected.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:00 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Sorry for the loss of your dog, it is never easy. I had an old dog go into Congestive heart failure years ago and as it often does it comes on extremely fast lots of coughing and panting and sounds rather gurgling. I knew what it was scooped her up and raced to the vet. She passed out on the way there and was almost dead before the vet could get the injection in her. She had lymphoma and I had an appointment to take her in later that day to put her down but then started second guessing myself so I think it was her way of saying no you were right it is the day we say good bye. But yeah it all happened so very fast.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:39 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,551,923 times
Awe, I'm so sorry you lost your little girl. You had no way of knowing what she had, so don't feel guilty at all. She was lucky to have a great loving home for her short life (HUGS)

Glad you have another dog to cuddle. Losing a solitary dog is such a lonely home after they're gone. We had to put our 16 year old darling down while we were on a trip, and if we wouldn't have had our second dog along, I think I would have gone crazy with no dog to hug.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:02 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,917,958 times
So sorry to hear this.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 AM

Something we thought of that we didnt think to ask the vet, is the dog was treated for heart worm before we adopted him. Perhaps that takes a toll on a dogs heart.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:35 PM

8,570 posts, read 10,994,797 times
I am not a vet, and must take the vet's word that it was heart failure, but one other thing to look for if anyone else's pet is showing similar conditions, is to have a thyroid gland check.

The thyroid is located in the throat, and if there is a problem with it(cancer comes to mind), it could also cause the dog to cough.

Sometimes it isn't as easy a diagnosis, as kennel cough.

Bob.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I am not a vet, and must take the vet's word that it was heart failure, but one other thing to look for if anyone else's pet is showing similar conditions, is to have a thyroid gland check.

The thyroid is located in the throat, and if there is a problem with it(cancer comes to mind), it could also cause the dog to cough.

Bob.
So, at this point, we know our dog was either the product of bad breeding or accident. He was rescued from a shelter and treated for heartworm. He was fostered by an experienced group and then he came to us. We are empty nesters so we lavished him with love and good care. We are sad that it turned out this way, but we wouldn’t change anything, except perhaps our expectations going in.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:34 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
Very sudden coughing, gagging or shortness of breath with a fast decline are more often then not congestive heart failure. Having worked in a hospital for over 35 yrs when we get a call from the medics about a patient they are bringing in and these symptoms came on fast we all think CHF and we are usually correct.

Enlarged hearts do not do a good job of pumping blood so fluids can suddenly back up and sudden CHF Is the result.

It would be very rare to have coughing just begin followed soon by death if it was a cancer as usually coughing is an early sign of such cancers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs