Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 08:04 PM

53 posts, read 89,907 times

Advertisements

I have a Border Collie/Lab mix. He shows more border collie traits. I had to have xrays on him and was told he NEEDS surgery for bilateral luxating patellas. The right side is much worse as he is in pain on that side and holds that leg up. He doesn't put weight on it much. He can be doing well, but then he goes out to do his business and by the time he comes in (which is not long at all), he's limping again and just lays down. He spends most of his day laying down, not like him at all. He hasn't brought me a ball or toy in over two weeks. Here's the problem...surgery is expensive and I truly don't have the money to pay it immediately. I cannot find a vet in the state of Maine that will work with me on a payment plan, and I cannot get the Care Credit that everyone mentions. He's only two, and I hate that he is just spending his days laying down, not playing and running like he should be. I've been told he may end up having surgery again in the future, and that he will have arthritis. It is hard to do massage therapy, as he's already bit my husband twice for even touching that leg. He has snapped at me and my daughter also. I'm worried he will bite someone else. I know he doesn't mean to, he is a really sweet dog...he's just hurting. I need advice... anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 08:45 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,010,072 times
Oh, this is a hard one. I feel for you, because this is not going to be easy. This dog is young, and, based on what you tell us, the condition is very severe. This condition would be either congenital (a birth defect), or genetic (passed down from the parents). And it apparently is diagnosable early in a dog's life (like at 4 mos). But that means the dog will have to live with this for his whole life, and deal with it. BTW, most dogs with luxating patella (dislocated kneecap) manage their lives without surgery. Another possibility occurs to me. Is it possible that this dog, through extreme athleticism, DAMAGED the soft tissue of the knees? That would change things a little, but possibly not much over the long term. However, if the current severity of the problem is because the dog has extreme damage because of something he did, you might be able to live with this by allowing a few more weeks of rest as recovery. And then move to careful exercise.

Let's look at positive paths forward. We're here, the dog is here. What can we do now?

Vets, surgery. I understand not being able to afford the surgery, given the severity, it's probably expensive - $2-3k anyway. I couldn't afford it if it happened to my dogs. A lot of dogs have dislocating kneecaps and never have surgery. But not dogs who have been in extreme pain for two weeks, I'd think. On the surgery front, I would suggest you keep contacting vets. I am sure you have tried a few, or even several that are near you - but keep calling new ones. Unless there is something else going on here, I can not imagine you will not find one who will work with you - vets are compassionate people as a rule. So make a phone campaign of it.

Next, dietary joint supplements. Some people find their animals improve noticeably with dietary joint supplements. Some people DON'T see any improvement. They aren't a guarantee. If you are going to see improvement, you should see improvement within a few weeks. And, there is science behind all this. Chondroitin, glucosamine, and MSM. When I read up on all this, a couple years back, either chondroitin OR glucosamine with MSM are complementary. They work bettter together. But chondroitin AND glucosamine together do not work better - they don't seem to work as well as either one alone. FYI, ymmv. They are readily available, and you will probably find them cheaper if you look on the human market, rather than the dog market. There is nothing different about chondroitin (etc) marketed for dogs, except the label (and the cost). Pay a little attention to daily doses.

Pain medication. The kneecap should move back into place within minutes normally, and this should reduce the immediate pain level. But it sounds like your dog's condition is much more severe than "normal". There are a number of NSAIDs that are dog-specific (aspirin is not). A consideration here is long-term use. Aspirin, and other NSAIDs, will (or can) cause damage when used long-term. The dog-specific NSAIDs are less likely to cause damage over the long term. Some people report great results for CBD oil when managing pain. If it isn't available yet in Maine, it is in neighboring states.

Exercise. A person or a dog with pending joint issues can improve the long-term prognosis with low-impact exercise. Since you're not going to teach your dog to ride a bike, this means swimming for a dog. This would have to be regular exercise to strengthen the muscles and connective tissues, and it would have to be long term. In Maine, come winter, you would have to find a doggie-day-care that has a swimming pool for the dogs. Such exercise can be very helpful, but it has to be regular enough to be strengthening. You will find exercise frequently mentioned in the care of such joint problems. Based on personal experience, I've found low-impact exercise to be massively superior for strengthening connective (soft) tissues around the joints.

Day to day physical management. As I mentioned, the kneecap should return to it's normal position, by itself, in a fairly short time. Given that your dog has been in severe pain for weeks already, it sounds like his condition is extremely severe. NSAIDs might help, by reducing the pain, to let the joint move back to a normal position. The CBD oil, mentioned earlier, might be even more helpful. Worth a try!

I have to wonder if a compression bandage (Ace bandage) might be helpful on a day-to-day basis, to help keep the kneecap from dislocating. Long-term use of a compression bandage is typically discouraged, as it can weaken the connective soft tissues. But that is for normal situations, and I don't think we have that here. In human terms, you could think of a dislocated shoulder. Somebody in your family has probably had one of those. When they are painful, massage is not likely to help. Once the joint has been relocated, and everything is back in its proper position, massage therapy might be useful, but it isn't the first thing I would look to when attempting to assist my dog heal from this. It might be useful, so I wouldn't discount it, either.

Living with joint problems. I had a hound who completely blew out her cruciate ligaments. We didn't get surgery, as we couldn't afford it. Without surgery, she worked herself back into good enough condition to run a couple miles a day. She started with half-mile runs, and it took a couple of years. A lot of dogs don't improve from a blown-out cruciate ligament without surgery, but it also can be lived with.

Quality of life. But, speaking of living with problems. The dog you describe is in daily, constant pain and discomfort. He is already not enjoying his life. His quality of life, at the moment, is very low. Talk to your regular vet, soon. Ask your regular vet what will happen if you don't do the surgery. Ask them what they might do for the dog if you don't have surgery. Ask the vet what they think the dog's quality of life will be - without the surgery.

This is the hardest part of my reply here. I think the answers you get to the above questions are not going to be optimistic. A "lab/border collie" mix is not something anyone who regularly breeds dogs would ever seek or allow. So it didn't come out of a home where somebody understood the necessities of breeding. Although many will say this sounds harsh, imho this is a dog a breeder would have culled. Or never bred the parents, but that would be obvious. If you got it through a rescue, they shouldn't have passed him on. I apologize in advance to those who are upset by my saying this, but sometimes in life this has to be the answer. It's not easy. And I am not a person to jump to such conclusions, as those who are regulars here will know.

A dislocated kneecap is a problem that should be periodic, not chronic. Since what you describe is already chronic - two weeks is a long time here - I'm afraid that this dog will have to live most of his life this way. A lab, I could see them being a chill dog, happy to be alive with no more exercise than walking around the house. But not a BC. There are chill BC, but most would be neurotic, at the least, to be confined because of constant pain. I hope I am wrong, but it sounds to me like you are describing a young dog whose quality of life is already so bad that you have to consider the final option. This is probably the hardest reply I've ever posted here.

cschmand66, I wish you luck, and I'll send a prayer up for you. I don't think you are facing an easy situation.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:17 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,386,059 times
I have no idea if any of these could help, but here's a list of potential foundations I found at a link (dogtime.com):

Brown Dog Foundation

Brown Dog Foundation dedicates their resources to helping families that find themselves in a temporary financial crisis at the same time that their pet requires either a life-saving treatment or life-sustaining medications. home

The Pet Fund

This registered 501 C 3 nonprofit provides financial assistance to domestic animals that need veterinary care. https://www.thepetfund.com

Shakespeare Animal Fund

For the elderly, disabled, or those whose income does not exceed the current federal poverty guidelines, the Shakespeare Animal Fund is a good resource for emergency pet medical care. Shakespeare Animal Fund

The Onyx and Breezy Foundation

A privately run nonprofit organization begun in honor of the founder’s dog, the Onyx and Breezy Foundation provides emergency medical care to animals whose owners are in financial hard times, and also works to get dogs on death row out of high-kill shelters. The Onyx & Breezy*Foundation - Home

Handicapped Pet Foundation

This non-profit corporation dedicates itself to the health and well-being of elderly, disabled, and injured pets. They also donate mobility equipment to needy pets. Handicapped Pets Foundation

Old 09-30-2018, 05:51 PM

cschmand66, somehow you replied to the thread on your blog!? I don't know how you did that. But you do provide a bit more information in your reply.
Quote:
Thank you. This gives me a lot to think about, and some things I hadn't thought of. Bentley, my dog, is such an awesome dog. He is normally full of energy....he brings me his ball or some other toy at just about the same time everyday....telling me it's time to play. And we do...we go outside and I throw his ball and he fetches it. Also, he has usually one case of the "zoomies" in the course of a day, where he just runs at full speed in circles outside.
I feel like he was definitely born with this as he has never really liked anyone near his rear quarters. Like if he's laying on the couch and you lean on him, or you accidentally touch his rear with your foot. He usually just jumps up and might give just a low irritated growl. Now though, he tries to bite...and I know that's not his fault, he just hurts.
I actually do have the oil that I put on a treat for him. And that does help, but he still struggles.
A couple of weeks ago he went to get off the couch, and I believe his knee popped out at that time as he fell and wouldn't walk on it.
I don't think it was from an injury running around out side.
I'm also worried about his quality of life and am waiting for my regular vet to call me. The x-rays were taken by a different vet because they couldn't squeeze him in to our regular one. She (the vet), told me that he should probably see someone that is experienced in that surgery. She was quite honest in that she would not be comfortable doing it. So I've been looking. I have a couple more calls to make tomorrow. Another concern is that I've been told I need to crate him for a few weeks after surgery. He has only been crated twice as a puppy. He has never needed it. He would absolutely go crazy. And I'm home with him as I work at home. He's my big baby. But watching him suffer is horrible too.
Thank you for your advice and your honesty, I really appreciate it.
cschmand66
As in this is not entirely something new, but this instance seems to be extreme. It greatly concerns me that the dog is in so much pain that he has bitten your husband, who, at the least, should be part of the dog's "pack". I know, they were warning bites, but that is still an extreme response.

I may have over-reacted a bit, but I'm not sure, and you are the person who must make the decisions.

You said you can't imagine the dog tolerating being crated. However, the vet is absolutely right - after the surgery the dog MUST be restrained, and MUST live a very circumspect and careful life until healing is well along. You DON'T want to have to go back and try to fix torn stitches. I've been there. You DO NOT WANT to go there!

If you can't crate, have somebody keep the dog with them 24/7. Do not EVER let the dog out of sight or off-leash during the initial healing. If you keep them with you, you can avoid crating, and the dog may tolerate this. The person who keeps the dog with them should be, ideally, the person they have bonded to. Which sounds like you, more than hubby. But hubby will do, and you can switch. You can also keep the dog in the car, waiting for you, for up to an hour or two. My dogs, who are English Shepherds, not BC (but they are similar in many ways), would rather go with me on errands, and wait in the car, than sit at home or in the yard.

And, if you get the surgery, and the vet says the dog must wear the cone of shame - DO IT. The tearing out of stitches because the dog could worry at them by licking them, or by doing too much, is a real and honest concern. It will mean re-doing the surgery. And, the 2nd time will NOT be as good as the first might have been. Crate or don't crate. But the dog must be kept still. No jumping, no licking, etc. For minor surgeries, all this is not a particular worry, but for a major surgery like this, and with a dog like you describe, this IS a worry.

Last edited by hiero2; 09-30-2018 at 06:00 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 06:01 PM

Hiero2:. I am home, and honestly, he does not leave my side. But I'm here 24/7....other than the occasional errand, but my hubby or daughter can watch him then. Thank you so much for your advice.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
Hiero2:. I am home, and honestly, he does not leave my side. But I'm here 24/7....other than the occasional errand, but my hubby or daughter can watch him then. Thank you so much for your advice.
You're welcome. I hope that what I've said has been useful.

I also think that, in the future, Bentley should not be allowed on furniture. He has to get up and down, and whether you get the surgery or not, that would be a stress on the knees. A dog like Bentley will probably never be happy being still, but hopefully you can work things up to where he can be active again.

From your description, it is obvious that he has a strong human bond. Hopefully, he is also very biddable (meaning he will listen to you), as even if he ever gets back to fetching, or running, you will have to discourage him from jumping or leaping.

There are knee braces available for dogs. They are, to my knowledge, for blown cruciate ligaments, not luxating patellas, but they would reduce knee stress, and might be helpful. Talk to the vet. And, they are another expense $$. If you are handy with a sewing machine, and your husband is handy with DIY stuff, you could make your own knee brace. Find some recycled cordura nylon backpacks or computer bags for material and strapping, and check out designs by going online and looking at what is for sale. The stiffening rods could be made by cutting down some of those driveway marker rods for winter - you know - the orange fiberglass ones?

I've thought about this because of my old hound, back when she was still with us. They need to have flex at the knee, and I'm thinking you could make that happen either by sanding down a section of the fiberglass rod, or by cutting it, and fastening the two halves back together with rubber tubing like what you can buy by the foot at a big box hardware store.

BTW, mine are with me pretty much 24/7 too, and they prefer it that way. It's a trait for some herding dogs - they would rather be with their human. Today people call it velcro dogs, but for the herding dogs - it's because they want to help the human at work. Of course, most of us don't have work for them to help with anymore! Unless you have sheep, cattle, or chickens around!

Good luck.

H

Old 10-01-2018, 08:57 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,386,059 times
*Can't give you a rep hiero2, as per the forum restrictions, but will give you this instead:

Old 10-01-2018, 02:42 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,561,659 times
I can't add a thing to hiero2's post, but what a difficult situation you are in with your dog Op. hiero2 has given you a lot of informative information for you to think about.

I'm glad to read such compassion on this forum rather than just pointing a finger at the Op and being unkind.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:51 PM

It has been hard posting on here, worried about what people would say. Thank you all for being compassionate, especially hiero2.
I believe his pain is worse. He doesn't even want to get up for a treat. He constantly licks the knee area to the point where it's getting raw. And if he even thinks that we are going to be near his leg, he gives a warning growl. ��

Old 10-01-2018, 04:12 PM

15,653 posts, read 10,425,074 times
I've had two dogs that had surgery for luxating patella and the surgeries were expensive. both dogs recovered and never had further problems with their knees for the rest of their long lives. they didn't even have arthritis.

You have a hard decision to make and you need to make it fast. either suck up the costs and have the surgeries done or, please, do right by this animal you love and loves you and have this suffering animal euthanized humanely. he is in great pain and needs your help now, one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs