Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:10 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I mentioned that specific rescue because I have worked with them and they absolutely do take border collie mixes FREQUENTLY.

Border collie rescue

Read the first line, “Border collies and border collie mixes”. Additionally, they accept dogs from Maine and they specifically talk about medical rescues. They are in NY state, they have an in house staff and on call vet which makes things much more affordable for them than for a private citizen. And make no mistake this is now a special needs dog, and those they frequently keep on the farm for the duration of their lives.

It’s ironic that you mention classism and then pretend that because you have made donations (and clearly not to this rescue) in the past you and this makes you entitled to determine what is best for dogs and families. His dog is looking at a lifetime of surgical and supportive care that will be in the tens of thousands of dollars. If you feel so strongly that this animal that is in pain right now should not be put into rescue to get it immediate care than put your money where your mouth is and send the OP the money you otherwise would donate.

OP it is clear you love this dog and it is suffering. Contact glen highland, they can even come get your dog, and they will set him up in a home that can meet his needs and stop him from suffering.
That is not correct. Of course donors are entitled to specify how their donations are spent. The mismanagement of funds by many non profits has unfortunately necessitated this situation. This is a very good example. Many people would not agree with spending tens of thousands on one dog when healthy ones are euthanized every day. Others may feel differently. I know in my area we can check a box for S/N prevention assistance and that's where I "personally" choose that my donations go.

FYI many dogs never get this surgery and recover. OP will have to discuss the reality of that option with her vet as this is a severe case. The dog will be in pain until scar tissue forms.

I think I struck a nerve with you on the classism part. The fact that you are not listening to the OP at all and hearing her genuine concerns and desire to not further stress the dog by sending it to a rescue just proves my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 10:47 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, you are in Maine. I suggest you contact some vets in Canada and get some price estimates.

I have a friend who drove a lot further than that to get radiation treatments for a dog with bone cancer. The price was so much lower that it was worth spending hours in the car. She simply couldn't afford the treatments at the local vet.

No promises about costs, but it would be worth making a few phone calls. If the saving is substantial enough, you might be able to put it on a credit card (but still get a second opinion before doing the surgery)
Yes, I was going to suggest doing a lot of checking around. Our dog had luxating patella surgery on both back knees several years ago, and it was only about $600 per knee (we lived in Louisiana at the time). Out of curiosity back then, I googled to find out what the typical cost was, and I was reading about people who spent $2000-3000 per knee!!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:52 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
That is not correct. Of course donors are entitled to specify how their donations are spent. The mismanagement of funds by many non profits has unfortunately necessitated this situation. This is a very good example. Many people would not agree with spending tens of thousands on one dog when healthy ones are euthanized every day. Others may feel differently. I know in my area we can check a box for S/N prevention assistance and that's where I "personally" choose that my donations go.
What is no correct? That you were wrong about GHF and mixed BCs? Or that you think you can decide how donations are made to rescues you are not a part of? You clearly do not donate to the specific rescue I mentioned. You can move the goal posts all you like but the notion that YOU get to determine for all rescues is nonsense.

Quote:
FYI many dogs never get this surgery and recover. OP will have to discuss the reality of that option with her vet as this is a severe case. The dog will be in pain until scar tissue forms.
Scar tissue? Luxating patella is a dislocation disorder due to the knee cap not sitting properly in the groove of the femur. Scar tissue does not prevent dislocation you are just making things up at this point. The surgery increases the depth or width of the groove in order to prevent future dislocations, a bilateral issue suggest a malformation and that is not something that gets better overtime.

OP do not believe this nonsense. If a person dislocates their knee, you do not fix it by waiting for "scar tissue to form".

Quote:
I think I struck a nerve with you on the classism part. The fact that you are not listening to the OP at all and hearing her genuine concerns and desire to not further stress the dog by sending it to a rescue just proves my point.
I think you should try reading for content. For example you completely ignore the part that GHF will absolutely take border collie mixes. Care to acknowledge you were wrong there?

Old 10-03-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
What is no correct? That you were wrong about GHF and mixed BCs? Or that you think you can decide how donations are made to rescues you are not a part of? You clearly do not donate to the specific rescue I mentioned. You can move the goal posts all you like but the notion that YOU get to determine for all rescues is nonsense.

Scar tissue? Luxating patella is a dislocation disorder due to the knee cap not sitting properly in the groove of the femur. Scar tissue does not prevent dislocation you are just making things up at this point. The surgery increases the depth or width of the groove in order to prevent future dislocations, a bilateral issue suggest a malformation and that is not something that gets better overtime.

OP do not believe this nonsense. If a person dislocates their knee, you do not fix it by waiting for "scar tissue to form".

I think you should try reading for content. For example you completely ignore the part that GHF will absolutely take border collie mixes. Care to acknowledge you were wrong there?
I am not going to acknowledge being wrong as you desire nor am I going to argue semantics with you. Breed rescues are just that: breed specific. You have shown one that's not but it's not the norm. Otherwise, they would all be called mixed breed rescues. BTW, I did check out the site and based on info there they sound as strapped for cash as most rescues. I don't think it's an accurate portrayal to make them out to be some sort of "Fairy Dog Mother's" who can be benefactor's to a dog as you say may need tens of thousands of dollars in future treatments.

You can twist it any way you like, but you are the ONLY poster on this thread that jumped to surrendering the dog. Everyone else had helpful comments. I find this offensive. I am apparently not the only one that feels this way based on the positive reps I got after posting this. There is something odd in the thinking too. I can't put it to words, but it's somehow creepy. Facing a LIFETIME of surgeries is a grim prospect that many would question the ethics of pursuing regardless of finances. Hopefully, that's not the case here. It doesn't matter if there are rich people lined up to pay for it (which I highly doubt). It may not be in the dog's best interest.

Many dogs can and do live with this issue. It can flare up occasionally but they can live a normal life. Due to severity this may not happen with OP's dog. I only mentioned this as surgery is not an option at this time but OP is working on it. The surgery has a high success rate so it would be great if OP can get some help. BassetLuv posted some great links that offer grant assistance and low or no interest loans so owners can keep their pets.

Scar tissue can form. It can be a help or a hindrance that may need to be removed later with surgery. (from a vet surgery site)

Common knee problems in domestic animals involve either tears in the cranial cruciate ligament and/or dislocation of the knee cap (patella luxation). Both of these conditions can be surgically treated, returning your pet to a more active and comfortable routine.
Without intervention there is a chance that scar tissue will stabilize the knee and that your pet will be able to use the leg again. However, this kind of recovery rarely occurs if there is accompanying meniscal cartilage damage. The torn meniscus acts like a stone in a shoe, causing significant discomfort and gait abnormality. Often, even if the knee does “self-stabilize,” it does so in an abnormal position promoting arthritis to accumulate rapidly in the joint.

The Knee: Problems and Solutions for the Injured Knee - Veterinary Surgical Centers

Old 10-03-2018, 10:03 PM

53 posts, read 89,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I've had two dogs that had surgery for luxating patella and the surgeries were expensive. both dogs recovered and never had further problems with their knees for the rest of their long lives. they didn't even have arthritis.

You have a hard decision to make and you need to make it fast. either suck up the costs and have the surgeries done or, please, do right by this animal you love and loves you and have this suffering animal euthanized humanely. he is in great pain and needs your help now, one way or the other.
What kind of dogs did you have with luxating patellas?

Old 10-04-2018, 06:37 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
my dog, a chow mix. she lived to be 14. Had surgery around 4 years old.

One of my foster dogs-Labrador retriever mutt. he was adopted by his family after he recuperated from the surgery.

You have shared how much this dog loves you, but how much do you love him if you continue to let him suffer?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-04-2018 at 06:55 AM..

Old 10-04-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I am not going to acknowledge being wrong as you desire nor am I going to argue semantics with you. Breed rescues are just that: breed specific. You have shown one that's not but it's not the norm. Otherwise, they would all be called mixed breed rescues. BTW, I did check out the site and based on info there they sound as strapped for cash as most rescues. I don't think it's an accurate portrayal to make them out to be some sort of "Fairy Dog Mother's" who can be benefactor's to a dog as you say may need tens of thousands of dollars in future treatments.

You can twist it any way you like, but you are the ONLY poster on this thread that jumped to surrendering the dog. Everyone else had helpful comments. I find this offensive. I am apparently not the only one that feels this way based on the positive reps I got after posting this. There is something odd in the thinking too. I can't put it to words, but it's somehow creepy. Facing a LIFETIME of surgeries is a grim prospect that many would question the ethics of pursuing regardless of finances. Hopefully, that's not the case here. It doesn't matter if there are rich people lined up to pay for it (which I highly doubt). It may not be in the dog's best interest.
I didn't make mention of any rescue EXCEPT THE ONE I MENTIONED. Which you then claimed would not accept mixed breeds which is DEMONSTRABLE FALSE. You are the one backpedaling and pretending you were not wrong. When someone cannot admit they were wrong, you should take any advice they give with a grain of salt the size of a boulder, it shows they lack intellectual integrity. Leads those people to make ridiculous claims, like pretending they have any idea about the finance of a rescue they are uninvolved with just so they can move the goal posts further.

Also, you think only your posts got repped? Do you think you get notified when other do to? That is a bizarre assumption to make, but I suppose in line with the rest.

Quote:
Many dogs can and do live with this issue. It can flare up occasionally but they can live a normal life. Due to severity this may not happen with OP's dog. I only mentioned this as surgery is not an option at this time but OP is working on it. The surgery has a high success rate so it would be great if OP can get some help. BassetLuv posted some great links that offer grant assistance and low or no interest loans so owners can keep their pets.
And where is your veterinary degree from? The one you use to pretend you know more than a vet? At least others have suggested getting a second opinion, you instead suggest they go with yours instead. Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Scar tissue can form. It can be a help or a hindrance that may need to be removed later with surgery. (from a vet surgery site)

Common knee problems in domestic animals involve either tears in the cranial cruciate ligament and/or dislocation of the knee cap (patella luxation). Both of these conditions can be surgically treated, returning your pet to a more active and comfortable routine.
Without intervention there is a chance that scar tissue will stabilize the knee and that your pet will be able to use the leg again. However, this kind of recovery rarely occurs if there is accompanying meniscal cartilage damage. The torn meniscus acts like a stone in a shoe, causing significant discomfort and gait abnormality. Often, even if the knee does “self-stabilize,” it does so in an abnormal position promoting arthritis to accumulate rapidly in the joint.

The Knee: Problems and Solutions for the Injured Knee - Veterinary Surgical Centers

LOL! You are advising someone using a source that admits scar tissue stabilization "rarely occurs" and that for a bilateral luxation and then the best case scenario for a 2 year old dog is a lifetime of arthritis.
Your posts speak for themselves.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
I have had a border collie mix with luxating patella on one knee. She had surgery at 3. She did have arthritis, but she was a working dog and would not take it easy. I had a purebred BC that had a single dislocation event in one knee, and the doctor allowed for a 4 month recovery to see if it would self repair. It did.

The difference between the dogs was the underlying issues with femoral groove. The dog who recovered on her own, had normal grooves as shown by imaging. Did your vet take images of the dogs knees?

Old 10-04-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I didn't make mention of any rescue EXCEPT THE ONE I MENTIONED. Which you then claimed would not accept mixed breeds which is DEMONSTRABLE FALSE. You are the one backpedaling and pretending you were not wrong. When someone cannot admit they were wrong, you should take any advice they give with a grain of salt the size of a boulder, it shows they lack intellectual integrity. Leads those people to make ridiculous claims, like pretending they have any idea about the finance of a rescue they are uninvolved with just so they can move the goal posts further.

Also, you think only your posts got repped? Do you think you get notified when other do to? That is a bizarre assumption to make, but I suppose in line with the rest.

And where is your veterinary degree from? The one you use to pretend you know more than a vet? At least others have suggested getting a second opinion, you instead suggest they go with yours instead. Makes perfect sense.

LOL! You are advising someone using a source that admits scar tissue stabilization "rarely occurs" and that for a bilateral luxation and then the best case scenario for a 2 year old dog is a lifetime of arthritis.
Your posts speak for themselves.
You just twisted everything I said around in an attempt to continue to argue. Not going there. The OP has a vet. Just mentioned what has happened to other dogs. Every situation is different. Funny that you just replied to OP that one of your own dogs healed.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
You just twisted everything I said around in an attempt to continue to argue. Not going there. The OP has a vet. Just mentioned what has happened to other dogs. Every situation is different. Funny that you just replied to OP that one of your own dogs healed.
And yet again, you cherry pick and ignore what was actually said. Dog without bilateral, with imaging, and my dog was not unwilling to play or lethargic like the OPs.

But hey, at least you are consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs