Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 08:06 PM

53 posts, read 89,827 times

Advertisements

I have had a few opinions...2nd, 3rd....all say the same thing. The only way to fix this is through surgery. Bilateral. The right knee is worse, and he has now been licking the inside of that knee, to the point that it is very red and irritated. He also licks the other knee now, which makes me believe that they both hurt. A day or two, he was actually doing pretty good, but then he went back to just wanting to lay down. He has lost a lot of the muscle mass in both legs. And when he holds his right leg up, he is getting shaky on the left one.... probably due to a combination of muscle loss and pain. I have been giving his pain meds from the vet and sea cucumber treats once a day. The vet also did say that he was born with this, which now makes sense, as he's always kicked his legs out, and hasn't wanted his rear quarters touched. Also, he already has arthritis.
I understand the thought of the rescue, but I can't do that to him. I watched my parents dog's health deteriorate due to basically a broken heart when they had to move and couldn't take her. She stopped eating and was very depressed. It never got better. Bentley (my dog) is completely attached to me. He will not eat anything if I'm not home, he will only lay in front of the door waiting for me to get back. He will not go to bed, until I do. He doesn't even like me to leave the room. It breaks my heart to think of him trying to figure out where I am. If the decision has to be made to where I need to take the step to stop his suffering (euthanasia), I WILL be right there beside him, he will know I'm there. He's my best friend, and honestly has been like a service dog to me for my anxiety and depression. But I will not let him suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 09:50 PM

981 posts, read 900,964 times
what about working with the rescue you got him from or any large rescue to promote a fundraiser? the rescue network i work with does many of these, and often for situations where an animal with a family is facing high medical costs. most rescue groups have large social networks, and raising $2-3k isnt unheard of. it is worth a shot. i would donate.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:25 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,406,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
I have had a few opinions...2nd, 3rd....all say the same thing. The only way to fix this is through surgery. Bilateral. The right knee is worse, and he has now been licking the inside of that knee, to the point that it is very red and irritated. He also licks the other knee now, which makes me believe that they both hurt. A day or two, he was actually doing pretty good, but then he went back to just wanting to lay down. He has lost a lot of the muscle mass in both legs. And when he holds his right leg up, he is getting shaky on the left one.... probably due to a combination of muscle loss and pain. I have been giving his pain meds from the vet and sea cucumber treats once a day. The vet also did say that he was born with this, which now makes sense, as he's always kicked his legs out, and hasn't wanted his rear quarters touched. Also, he already has arthritis.
I understand the thought of the rescue, but I can't do that to him. I watched my parents dog's health deteriorate due to basically a broken heart when they had to move and couldn't take her. She stopped eating and was very depressed. It never got better. Bentley (my dog) is completely attached to me. He will not eat anything if I'm not home, he will only lay in front of the door waiting for me to get back. He will not go to bed, until I do. He doesn't even like me to leave the room. It breaks my heart to think of him trying to figure out where I am. If the decision has to be made to where I need to take the step to stop his suffering (euthanasia), I WILL be right there beside him, he will know I'm there. He's my best friend, and honestly has been like a service dog to me for my anxiety and depression. But I will not let him suffer.
He's suffering now. Even with pain meds, he's in a great amount of pain. Whatever your decision is, I urge you to make it soon.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,003,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
Thanks for following up and getting back to us. The fund-raising idea is a possibility, but at this point, given the dog's young age, I have to wonder how much even surgery will help.

Whatever you decide, good luck. To paraphrase an old blessing: "You've been given a stoney path. I will pray that you be also given strong shoes."

Old 10-20-2018, 08:18 PM

Update:. We adopted Bentley when we were living in NC. But we moved back home last year. New thing that's been happening the past couple of days. Bentley is kind of twitchy at times. Kind of like a twinge? And he's also been "chasing" something, like a bug, but there's nothing there. He's been restless, moving from one place to another, like he's just not comfy. He will have a great day, where he acts almost fine all day. But then he has days like today, that are filled with restlessness and acting like he is seeing things.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 AM

I thought I should update. So Bentley has NOT had surgery, but he has improved. Not sure how. Maybe he has learned what not to do so that it stays in place. But he's been more like himself. It got real cold here, real fast this year, and I honestly thought he wouldn't be able to handle it, he was holding his leg up within seconds of going outside. Now, he's going out without limping at all! He even had a day where he was running around in the snow like a puppy again. He greets everyone with kisses, standing on his back feet. He's not being snippy when we are near his hind quarters. And when he does limp, which is not often, it lasts for only a few seconds. Not sure how this is happening, and it may not last, but I'll take it. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, and he's not on any pain meds. ❤

Old 12-13-2018, 08:48 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,511,338 times
That's great to hear! He is still young so has resilience. Hope this lasts too. You have both been through a terrible ordeal. It's great that he is not showing pain anymore and doesn't need meds.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,003,360 times
That is good news. The "ghosts" are concerning, but so long as he is adapting. FWIW, I mentioned my hound with the blown cruciate (rear knee). That happened when she was about 7 - and she went running for another 5+ years afterward. Sometimes the dog can adapt. If they get exercise, the muscles can learn to compensate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs