Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 10:21 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,167,996 times

Advertisements

I think you're being ridiculous here. Poop I could understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 10:29 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,429,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I posted a mention on our HOA FB page that I thought was improper pet owner behavior and rude.
Generational, my big ole butt. I'm 50 and I think you need to get over yourself.

It's pee. It's not going to hurt your precious grass, for goodness sake. I have four female dogs and my grass and flowerbeds are just dandy.

Not to mention, it was passive-aggressive and cowardly to boot. You could have walked outside when your little alarm went off, and talked to the neighbors yourself.

I can only imagine what nickname your neighborhood has given you.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:30 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,645,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Plant poison ivy.
What a disgustingly cruel suggestion! Why would you want to see an innocent animal suffer - what does that accomplish? The dog doesn't know he did something that you find unacceptable - he/she is simply behaving like an animal.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:32 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,429,619 times
Quote:
I called no one out by specific name, merely said "the person walking the large Husky"
And there you got personal. You got exactly what you deserve.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:37 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,645,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Many dog owners say that their dogs are just as much a part of their family as their kids are.

Do they allow their kids to **** on other people's lawns, also ?

What a silly and baseless hypothesis - comparing human behavior with an animal's. It has nothing to do with whether or not some people consider their dogs family, they never said their dogs were human beings. Most dog owners do control their pets and lead them to common ground and do not deliberately and maliciously guide them to private property for the purpose of having them pee on someone's lawn.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:49 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,938,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
What a disgustingly cruel suggestion! Why would you want to see an innocent animal suffer - what does that accomplish? The dog doesn't know he did something that you find unacceptable - he/she is simply behaving like an animal.
It accomplishes nothing. The dog is not going to be affected by it.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:50 AM

761 posts, read 605,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I am surprised by the responses you are getting here, OP. People don't seem to mind urine being poured on their yards or plantings.

I think it is irresponsible and deliberately mean-spirited. The dog owner can take the dog to the city area or undeveloped land to pee. Or let the dog pee at this own house! You are not a designated porta-potty for canines. I always walked my dog to the edge of our development where no one lived. Sagebrush and cactus.

That's really too bad you can't solve it with a low fence. Really weird reactions here, IMO.
This above, by Sand&Salt is completely reasonable.

A neigbor of ours has little signs all along the edge of their property

stating they have their lawn serviced with chemical treatment..

I wonder if the dog owner might by-pass your property
to show care for his pet with those signs up?

(you can buy them already made up)

Old 05-12-2017, 11:00 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,795,831 times
Quote:
Last night a women who lives in my development was walking her beautiful large Husky. She proceeded to let the dog urinate on my front yard, near a tree and a flower bed. We added an element to our alarm system that alerts us to someone in our yard (not near the street) so we looked out when we heard the alarm and watched the owner allow the pet behavior.

I do not know the owners, but have seen them before in the neighborhood and they seemed pleasant, waving, etc. I posted a mention on our HOA FB page that I thought was improper pet owner behavior and rude.

Of course I was summarily blasted by other residents.

Is it too much to ask that all the hard work my 71 year old husband puts into our yard, restoring it from neglect from the previous owner and spending money on flowers, fertilizer, etc. to think dog walkers would curb their dog and use city-owned grass areas near the street? I don't feel it is asking too much.

The owner responded that, basically, his dog could pee anywhere it wanted, it wasn't something he considered or worried about and that he picks up feces per city rules. I understand that there may be a generational difference of opinion here. He was not totally impolite but his responses as well as other responses had a snarky quality to them.

I just wonder how these people would feel if I deposited about a pint of urine on their front yard and flowers.

Opinions, please.
As a former dog owner I agree with you. My dogs got to water any telephone post they liked and even a few mailbox stands. Hydrants also, but I NEVER let them go onto anyone lawn(property) to whiz.

To me, that's YOUR property and it's MY job to make sure MY dogs stay off YOUR property.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:13 AM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Is it too much to ask that ...
In a word: yes. You live in a community.
If you want to live behind a moat... you need to move.

Not picking up their dogs poop is another matter
but even then there is often some er, uhm. residue that will remain.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:41 AM

503 posts, read 773,118 times
When I take my dog for a walk I like to say he is checking his "pee-mail".
He goes on the area between the sidewalk and street - I don't let him in someone's main lawn. Hope people always pick up the poo - if not it makes for bad poo karma!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs