Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 08:59 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,767,922 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with pee. I plant flowers near my mailbox and dogs pee on them all the time. My own dogs pee on the flowers in my backyard and they all manage to survive. I do try not to let them pee on people's flowers when I'm walking them but I'm not always successful. IMO what's much worse is cat urine, that stuff smells awful.

However, dog owners who don't pick up poop are the worst. My neighbor once let her dog come over and poop on my yard. I watched to dog do it and then go back across the street. I picked up the poop and rang her doorbell. When she answered, I handed it to her and said "I think this belongs to you." When I walk my dogs, I carry bags and pick up their poop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 09:08 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,172,169 times
i have my dogs go before their walk, but they like to pee to leave their scent behind a few times on walks. i always make sure they go on a patch of grass and not flowers, mailbox, etc. most of the time since they have already gone before when they pee on their walks hardly anything comes out. but they feel like they are accomplishing something i guess.

it cant really be controlled. if your neighbor starts walking in the middle of your yard regularly to let the dog go then you have a problem. i never walk off the side walks myself.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:12 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,936,953 times
While this could become annoying, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it unless it becomes a habit. Habit meaning, is the dog consistently peeing in the same general area? If that is the case, I would confront the owner.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:19 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,714,531 times
Or get something that makes a noise like a shotgun. Then switch to other random, loud, startling sounds.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:23 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,630,345 times
I couldn't imagine walking a dog on someone's lawn. Can you try training the dog with something like deer b gone and eventually he won't return to your yard and you won't need to do it anymore?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:30 AM

7,251 posts, read 7,087,479 times
I never let my dog onto someone else's yard. The public grass, yes.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:33 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,404,514 times
You can control where your dog pees. You keep them on a short leash and walk at a brisk pace. This prevents them from "marking". Dogs don't need to stop and pee a dozen times while walking. They mark instinctively to leave their scent behind.

This is what I do when our route takes us along people's property. For the first 1/3 of our walk, short leash, brisk walk, no stopping. During the middle of our walk, when we reach a common area, I'll lengthen the leash and slow down so he can stop, sniff, "mark", and poo. The last 1/3 of our walk, I shorten the leash and resume a brisk pace.

On the occasion when I see that he's about to pee on something that I don't want him to (like someone's garbage bin on the curb or someone's flowers), I'll tug his leash and he'll come along without peeing.

Last edited by HokieFan; 05-12-2017 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-12-2017, 09:39 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,999 times
OP, I understand your frustration, but I think you are overreacting a little. You probably haven't thought of all the stray dogs and cats that wander through your yard, not to mention many other animals that eliminate at will. I can almost guarantee you that the dog isn't eliminating "a pint" of urine on your flowers. If a dog was digging in your flowers, or leaving poop behind, then yes, I'd be angry. But a little pee? Nope.

A healthy husky weighing 60 lbs. (27 kilos) produces about 2 ml/kilo an hour. That's 27x2 - 54 ml per hour, and about 1,296 ml. per day. At 473 ml. per pint, that's about 2.7 pints in a 24 hour period. The average indoor dog goes out 3-4 times a day, which means that there's less than a pint for each walk or outing. Most of the urine is eliminated in the first leg lift, usually in the owners yard within 10-15 yards of the owners front door. :-) (For example, we let our 40 lb. dog out in the backyard for a few minutes before taking him on a walk, to give him a chance to eliminate.) Dogs mark their territories (which, in the dog's mind, extends far beyond their yard) with a small amount of pee and leave their "business card" in other areas. Often, the pee is to cover up other smells that they detect and assert their ownership. Other times, the pee gives a lot of information to other dogs, such as sex, age, rank, sexual availability, etc. Such marking is a small amount, usually 2-3 teaspoons at most.

I think it's fair to ask the dog's owner not to allow the dog to pee on your flowers. But I don't think a couple of teaspoons of urine on the grass is cause for distress.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:01 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,002,435 times
Many dog owners say that their dogs are just as much a part of their family as their kids are.

Do they allow their kids to **** on other people's lawns, also ?

Old 05-12-2017, 10:13 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,806,136 times
I have two male dogs that pee all over my flowers in the back yard. They haven't killed anything yet in over ten years. We live in a village and I walk my dogs frequently. I do not let them pee in peoples flower beds. I certainly don't want them crushing plants and destroying some ones work. My boys know the routine. Pee on this tree, pee on this fire hydrant, pee on the curb. Head into someones flowers? They get a strong NO! I understand your frustration.

I don't understand the entitled mentality some dog owners have by letting their dogs defecate and leaving the mess behind for someone else to clean up. We were at a dog friendly hotel that supplied bags and a place to deposit the mess. I had to walk my dogs off of the property because we would have been stepping in mess after mess. I had no choice but to let them do their business on private property. Yes I cleaned it up, as should all of those other ignorant pet owners should have done on that hotel property.

I love my dogs and all dogs for that matter, but there has to be consideration on the part of the owners for those who don't like dogs. I know I didn't appreciate cleaning up pile after pile in my flower bed in the ally. If your dog heists it's leg on my fence back there? Whatever. The rain or watering will clean it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs