Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,202,035 times

Advertisements

It's a start but any kind of tethering is against the law in my community.....not just in the cold.

http://blog.fido4ever.com/breaking-t...imals-outside/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 09:53 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,781,365 times
Agree, it's a start.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:20 AM

112 posts, read 133,807 times
I agree strongly with no tethering laws, I don't really agree with this though. Different dog breeds and animals deal with the cold very differently, so I don't agree with the general premise some people seem to believe of if you're cold they're cold type of thing.
Although it does specify a weather emergency, I'm not really sure what they're defining that as.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:28 AM

10,122 posts, read 6,480,688 times
I approve heartily. I own a lakeside lot (I don't live there, just keep it for recreation) and the "people" (I use the term loosely) across the street from me have had a poor pit pull mix tethered with a chain outside since last year. I've never seen the dog off the chain, and he's worn a 30 ft. diameter circle of earth to a bare patch of ground. I've even seen the owner come outside to dump trash - they say "Hey" to the dog but don't pat him or pay any other attention to him - meanwhile he is whining and crying from loneliness. It breaks my heart. I did call Animal Control for the county, but he's still out there - their standard is that as long as the animal has shelter (he has a rough dog house) and food and water, then they're within the letter of the law.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:58 AM

that is so sad. I hate people who do that to animals. They are lacking basic compassion and humanity.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:31 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,567,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
that is so sad. I hate people who do that to animals. They are lacking basic compassion and humanity.
Exactly! What is the point of owning a dog to just tie it outside and neglect it? We can't love and spoil ours enough.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,445,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It's a start but any kind of tethering is against the law in my community.....not just in the cold.

http://blog.fido4ever.com/breaking-t...imals-outside/
Define cold.

Also, obviously, hardiness is clearly breed specific.

Yet another feel-good "welfare" law that could end up needlessly penalizing people who are doing nothing harmful.

Over time, all these "pet Nazi" laws will actually discourage pet hosting, most especially by people who are the most responsible. If having a pet becomes just like having a baby or toddler, it will be just too much overhead for most deep thinking people. It will get to a point where it becomes infeasible to ever leave a pet unattended.

It's the ones who are not responsible who will keep getting pets they cannot handle or adequately care for, from questionable sources.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Define cold.

Yet another feel-good "welfare" law that could end up needlessly penalizing people who are doing nothing harmful.

Over time, all these "pet Nazi" laws will actually discourage pet hosting, most especially by people who are the most responsible. If having a pet becomes just like having a baby or toddler, it will be just too much overhead for most deep thinking people. It will get to a point where it becomes infeasible to ever leave a pet unattended.

It's the ones who are not responsible who will keep getting pets they cannot handle or adequately care for, from questionable sources.
Are you saying it is "pet Nazi law" to outlaw tethering? Of course cold is tolerated better in some breeds but why get a dog only to have it tied up most of the time. A responsible person does not tether a dog, IMHO. It breaks my heart to see a tied up dog. And I am, I assure you, a deep thinking person.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:39 AM

965 posts, read 942,369 times
I agree it is a feel good measure, but it is a start to educating "some", who might otherwise think it is fine/ normal to leave a dog out with a PROPER doghouse not equipped for the weather. Too bad that we end up legislating to stoopid.

Tethering itself is not the worst thing ever, if done properly, but ignoring a dog, whether tethered or in a fenced yard/ kennel is far worse. I have a pet peeve..... asking people if they have a fenced yard for the dog is my least favorite way to find out if someone is "responsible" as a pet owner. So many of those dogs are left their entire life in that fenced yard, or inside in a crate so no one sees the neglect. I'll just stop there.

Honestly I know countless people who take their dogs in at night and stuff them in a crate, then back out to a kennel/ yard all day. The dogs are fat, and have plenty to drink, but NO attention, except on the way in, and out every day... luckily they find this bothersome and most swear they will never have another.
They would be considered responsible, and yet, I would rather see them tied out 3 times a day, and the rest of the time having attention, and exercise. But I don't want more legislation to tell us how to behave.
People notice dogs that are tied out and ignored, but they don't seem to notice dogs crated or fenced in and ignored.
Trying to prove they have been left out in cold weather is very difficult, a few have mentioned that. It should be more specific if they want to make a law, otherwise it isn't going to do much. Ask animal control how well it will work.

I give yearly to Fences for Fido. They have a great story about how they started, they are a grassroots group of volunteers who offer free fenced yards to people. Now they have a waiting list. Their members will still occasionally offer to a dog they'd think is being neglected, but they don't treat the owner like an abusive pet owner.
I'd rather give money to them, than to pay extra taxes for a law that won't really help, and it won't change people's ideas/ opinions.
Educate, educate, educate....

Old 11-17-2016, 05:16 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,495,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Define cold.

That's exactly right. You can see where all of this is heading. So now if I let my dog go out and play in the yard, I run the risk of the busybody neighbor calling Animal Control because she thinks it's too cold outside, or too windy, or too wet, etc.

And "pet Nazi" is not too strong a term for it. There are people on this very forum I would bet, who actually believe tethering a dog deserves a prison sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs