Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 05:18 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post

I believe that a shelter law should be in place instead of just generalizing the dog breed. It shows lack of dog breed knowledge on the law makers part.

Just my 2 cents.
Agreed. No law should be generalized.

My other concerns with tethered dogs aside from weather conditions, are the issues of proper exercise and not being able to escape a wild animal. I cannot imagine the horror of going out in the morning to feed and water, only to find a dog who has been torn apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 07:52 AM

965 posts, read 938,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Agreed. No law should be generalized.

My other concerns with tethered dogs aside from weather conditions, are the issues of proper exercise and not being able to escape a wild animal. I cannot imagine the horror of going out in the morning to feed and water, only to find a dog who has been torn apart.
First let me say I really don't like constant tethering, and I do believe there should be strict laws about animals having proper shelter, food, and water. I think it is terrible for a dog to live without proper exercise as well.

I agree with the above in theory, which includes electronic fences. I don't believe having a fenced yard gives adequate exercise either, but a lot of people leave a dog in the yard expecting they will run around for hours exercising themselves. Just a pet peeve of mine that people believe a fenced yard is the be all to end all of proper pet ownership.

And yet, an old friend's 70 pound was just killed in her own yard. He had been left alone during the day, in his own fenced yard, and 2 dogs climbed/ dug into the yard and killed him.

Owner showed up at home to find him dying, as the dogs were still mauling him. This doesn't happen often where I live, and it does depend on dogs at large. It is a rural area, and some people do actually let their dogs roam.... The fence only slowed these dogs down. It is situations like this that keep me from having a dog door, or leaving my dogs in my fenced yard when I'm not home.

Honestly, I wish we didn't have to have these laws, and I still think they are laws put in place so animal control can actually do something, though still only sometimes.... it really doesn't help a lot of dogs. I havent looked up statistics.
I think finding your dog dead, and sharing the story, and though horrific may be the only thing that will change some people's ideas about how to keep their pets.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:00 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
We have anti tethering too, which is more for excessive heat than cold. Really, some dogs like the cold and are comfortable outside in cold weather. Common sense should be used.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:11 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace_country View Post
I agree strongly with no tethering laws, I don't really agree with this though. Different dog breeds and animals deal with the cold very differently, so I don't agree with the general premise some people seem to believe of if you're cold they're cold type of thing.
Although it does specify a weather emergency, I'm not really sure what they're defining that as.
I think it's pretty clear:
Quote:
Enforcement of the regulations will go into effect during times of extreme cold, heavy snow and winds, all of which can be detrimental to the health of a dog, and other animals no matter how thick their coats are.
I don't think it matters what the temp is, if it's extremely cold in New England, you know what they mean. Heavy snow and winds...you're going to know. There's a difference between a snowfall and heavy snow and winds.

In regards to "pet nazis", gmab. I find it ludicrous that anyone would define, "stop leaving your dog out in a fricken blizzard or heavy snowstorm with howling winds" as being a "pet nazi". I find it more repulsive that anyone would leave their pet out in those conditions. I don't give a fig if your dog is a "sled dog" from the frozen tundras of the extreme north, don't leave your dog out in that kind of weather. Why did you get a dog? As an ornament? If it was for protection, NO ONE is walking around casing houses in that kind of weather. Bring your dog inside.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:37 PM

275 posts, read 469,647 times
I always wondered why people get a dog if they are going to leave it outside all the time. Dogs are pack animals and need their people. If only dogs could treat humans the way they have been treated, maybe less dogs would be neglected

Old 11-28-2016, 06:08 PM

483 posts, read 418,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitwo8765 View Post
I always wondered why people get a dog if they are going to leave it outside all the time. Dogs are pack animals and need their people. If only dogs could treat humans the way they have been treated, maybe less dogs would be neglected
Again. If you lump all dogs together as one. You are generalizing dogs. And not showing too much in depth knowledge to different dog breeds.

There are many working dog breeds that are most happy with their flock. In fact, flocks are their packs not humans.

Or there are hunting breeds.
They love to chase preys.
Like fox hounds.

Then people too can say.. it is abusive to keep these dogs in the house all day long caged up.
Why do these people have them if they aren't letting the dogs have walks, to run and feel the joy???
But caged up 10 hrs a day???

Would a human love being caged up forbidden to go outside the house or would that human love to have the adventure to hunt or do a job herding sheeps all day long???

I love to be that free human than being kept in house and be exposed to burning to death if fire happens and not be able to escape.. unlike my free to run counterpart anyday.

As a human.
So what does the dog really thinks even???

Old 11-28-2016, 10:33 PM

I rescued a lonely dog who was a backyard dog. My parents also rescued a dog who was left alone in a backyard for many years, so I have a different opinion on it. My dog is always with me in the house. Yes there are probably some breeds of dogs who like to be alone in the backyard by themselves. But I think most prefer to be with their people. I also used to own newfs and they were very social dogs. Did you read the earlier link about the newf who was outside for 4 years in the freezing cold? I'm sure he would have loved to be inside with his people. That is an extreme case. At least the dog was finally able to get help. I enjoy the companionship of dogs and personally don't see the point of having a dog if it will only be outside but that's my opinion on it.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:17 AM

Well. My Roman chooses himself (doggie door, free run of house then to sunporch 20 x 15 ft and huge deck like 45ft wide by 15ft) to be outside 24/7, only in the Summer
and the midst of -10 will he willingly stay in (then I have to even resort to tethering him inside, so he dun keep going in n out letting cold air in or breaking the dog door).

And I can confidently even say his life is way better than most in house dogs. Yes, I stay with him as a stay at home moms so most dog owners who work and have to crate their dogs will have less time with their dogs than my (he chooses to be outside) dog.

Because of one thing..
He goes where he wants as he is free to choose and he goes collarless.

And I only do thing "he" likes..
Yes, his slave and butler dancing to his attention 24/7.
And his personal chef too.. he eats like my own son cause he is my only son. Means if it's steaks (he gets weekly, or that prime rib or that yearly wagyu).

My Roman also gets to eat out at restaurants.. we take him weather permitting to dog friendly places.

Instead of boarding him for vaca, we plan the vacation around my boy and took him once to twice yearly for family vaca. I get separation anxiety, my Roman suffered none. In fact he is typically aloof of his breed.. so too much attention means he wants out for personal space. Much like a human.
Roman's pawcation this year.
https://youtu.be/X9CGsdCS6_8

Hence why we really shouldn't discriminate all outdoor dogs.
https://youtu.be/Xrt-voBHUAo
Attached Thumbnails
0 fine for leaving an animal out in the cold-received_1142216552479231.jpeg   0 fine for leaving an animal out in the cold-received_1137844606249759.jpeg   0 fine for leaving an animal out in the cold-photogrid_1462971576656.jpg  

Old 11-29-2016, 07:24 AM

Hence why I also dun see a point of any humans having a dog if they cannot spend enuff time with the dogs be it inside or out..

And cannot walk the dogs daily and plus hike for a few hours on weekends... Roman got 6 hikes in 3 days on Thanksgiving.

Plan a doggie vaca instead of having to board dogs.. comes back to quality time of doggie loving time with owners.

Can't eat quality human grade meats but have to put up with kibbles.. at least give the dogs choices to choose like a human you know...

Provide vet cares without needing a fund me page..

Have the same freedom.. yes, freedom as Roman.

Etc...

Really.
Every dog should have the life of my dog that even many humans would love to have.

But that is just my two cents.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:47 AM

I agree with you on many points but I personally would not want my dog to always be outside. He is a beautiful dog and seems like he has an awesome life. Not all outdoor dogs have Roman's life. He is lucky he is taken so well care of. When the dog I got was in the backyard, she was skinny and no one was taking care of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs