Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 08:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times

Advertisements

So tell me about these tethering laws. I tether my dog most morning while I cook breakfast and get ready. He needs to toilet and I need to shave etc...

Would I get fined simply for leaving my dog on the tether? Or is there a time/weather component?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 09:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
So tell me about these tethering laws. I tether my dog most morning while I cook breakfast and get ready. He needs to toilet and I need to shave etc...

Would I get fined simply for leaving my dog on the tether? Or is there a time/weather component?
For my community:Town of Chapel Hill, NC : Dog Tethering Restrictions

I know of other communities which have time limits like 8 or 9 consecutive hours.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Honestly I know countless people who take their dogs in at night and stuff them in a crate, then back out to a kennel/ yard all day..........snip

I give yearly to Fences for Fido. They have a great story about how they started, they are a grassroots group of volunteers who offer free fenced yards to people. Now they have a waiting list. Their members will still occasionally offer to a dog they'd think is being neglected, but they don't treat the owner like an abusive pet owner.
I'd rather give money to them, than to pay extra taxes for a law that won't really help, and it won't change people's ideas/ opinions.
Educate, educate, educate....
Every dog I have ever had in the last 25 years have come to me kennel trained. Actually I would prefer to have the dogs sleep with me but they put themselves to bed every single night. no stuffing needed. Most of the time we don't even bother to close the door or latch it. They are still in their crates in the morning. They feel safe and secure there or they would not go or stay in there.

The last outdoor dog I had was 25 years ago and it broke my heart to find her dead in her dog house. She was a sheltie submissive pee-er who simply could not be in the house. Just speaking to her in a loving voice or trying to pet her made her pee. We interacted with her at least twice a day when she was fed but still it was a lonely life for her. I swore I'd never have another outdoor dog and we haven't.

We walk our dogs at least 4 times a day and give them potty breaks in the fenced in yard between walks and when we have to be away for more than 2 hours They have access to the screened in porch with fresh water and beds.

Prison time for tethering is extreme. Fines usually do the trick but I understand fair warnings are given before fines are imposed. Education is the way to go.

I used to volunteer with a Fence Program in Atlanta. It was very satisfying to provide a fence and/or dog house for dogs who had been discovered tethered. A good-sized chain link fence can be installed in no time with the right equipment and several volunteers.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:38 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Are you saying it is "pet Nazi law" to outlaw tethering? Of course cold is tolerated better in some breeds but why get a dog only to have it tied up most of the time. A responsible person does not tether a dog, IMHO. It breaks my heart to see a tied up dog. And I am, I assure you, a deep thinking person.
I'm not referring to tethering. Sure, I'm good with limits on that.

I am referring to "outside in cold weather" - irrespective of tethering.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:41 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
Tethering dogs is NEVER acceptable, under any circumstances. Period.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:49 PM

An extreme case.

This Wounded Dog Was Left Chained In Subzero Weather For 4 Years

Old 11-17-2016, 06:16 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

MyNameIsBellaMia says: "Tethering dogs is NEVER acceptable, under any circumstances. Period."

There's your answer, JONOV. And understand that they don't want to simply slap you with a fine. They'd like to put you behind bars for what you're doing. I'm not kidding. So be prepared, and don't forget your toothbrush...

Old 11-17-2016, 08:29 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times
I've never tethered my dogs, however, certain breeds (primarily northern breeds of sled dogs) are fine with it. From what I've seen, that is the generally accepted method of containment in Alaska.
I can tell you that my Malamute loved the cold weather more than you could imagine. Even though he had access to a warm shelter, he would NEVER go in it regardless of outside temperature or bad weather!

Old 11-20-2016, 09:37 PM

483 posts, read 418,237 times
https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/c...-veterinarian/

Above link is a great insight to tell if dogs are cold.

Roman is a winter breed (like huskies, Malamutes, Tibetan Mastiffs, Russian Ochavca etc.).

I dun tether him.
I even let him be collarless (he is chipped) so collars dun kill his mane.
But.. He loves cold and love staying out even sleeping on snow than hot weather (hot weather he hangs out in CA Central Air with us). If its cold weather.. I have been known to tether him inside the house in sub zero temp so he stays in. Else he will just run out (doggie door.. the whole bottom of the kitchen door).

I think law is great with most dogs..
But if it applies to working breed (sheep guardian dogs even used up in Canada).. may be a bit too discriminatory. Because these Shepherd type dogs will stay out with the sheeps even in weather or extreme conditions.

I believe that a shelter law should be in place instead of just generalizing the dog breed. It shows lack of dog breed knowledge on the law makers part.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:42 PM

483 posts, read 418,237 times
Example of working dogs, winter breed with their flock.
Attached Thumbnails
0 fine for leaving an animal out in the cold-pyrenean-sheep-dog-7199167.jpg   0 fine for leaving an animal out in the cold-pyrenean-mountain-dog-protecting-sheep-pyrenees   0 fine for leaving an animal out in the cold-146406-belle-sebastian-0-230-0  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs