Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:47 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

...and it worked. I feel bad though.
We are not yellers or spankers, with kids or animals, but today I got tired of "polite suggestions" for behavior not working.

Every morning when our dachshund, Freddie, thinks it is time to get up (6:30 or so) he starts going bat**** crazy. By this I mean he starts jumping on me in a crazy manner, and i tend to get scratched from his claws. Any other time of day or night, he is an angel, and has no behavior problems at all. Once I get out of bed, he becomes docile again.

So this morning I loudly scolded him and smacked his bottom, and he stopped the behavior instantly. I wonder if he will do it again tomorrow? If he does, I intend to do the same thing again until he stops doing it.

What do all you dog owners think this behavior is about? I am thinking that it is something that puppies do ...scrambling over the other puppies in the morning to get to their mom. Our dog is 3, and I am definitely "the mommy". He was a rescue, so not sure what his first years were like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 08:12 AM

965 posts, read 938,453 times
The use of physical force in place of training is unacceptable. Smacking a small rescue dog?!
Get the pup a crate to sleep in, and take him to training classes. A trainer should be able to help you learn to train away from a behavior. Or just get some books about positive training.

My dogs are so happy to wake me in the morning, and if it is just too early I tell them thank you, give them a pat, and they lay back down. If they are insistent I know they need to go outside "now".

Smacking a dog for waking you up could lead to potty problems, and a lack of trust between you and your dog (that can sometimes never be repaired). "Spanking" your dog for that left it wondering what it did wrong... you taught nothing.

Using physical force is straight up lazy.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:22 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
i agree with simple, his reaction is one of either excitement or desperation...punishing the behavior could lead to him no longer tellingyou he needs to potty...
but even not, he will learn to shy from your hand. and doxies are well known as nippers (they actually have the highest recorded incidents of bites) so instilling FEAR of a hand is NEVER something id want to do.

instead id try something like a squirt bottle if his behavior is truly ecessive...
I'm not 100% against "punishemtn" for extreme excessive behaviours if nothing else has worked but id NEVER resprt to laying hands on my dog...its a fantastic way to eventually get bitten, most dogs will only put up with it for so long and when they do snap its always "but hes NEVER done that before " or "he didn't give us any warning"

Old 10-15-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i agree with simple, his reaction is one of either excitement or desperation...punishing the behavior could lead to him no longer tellingyou he needs to potty...
but even not, he will learn to shy from your hand. and doxies are well known as nippers (they actually have the highest recorded incidents of bites) so instilling FEAR of a hand is NEVER something id want to do.

instead id try something like a squirt bottle if his behavior is truly ecessive...
I'm not 100% against "punishemtn" for extreme excessive behaviours if nothing else has worked but id NEVER resprt to laying hands on my dog...its a fantastic way to eventually get bitten, most dogs will only put up with it for so long and when they do snap its always "but hes NEVER done that before " or "he didn't give us any warning"
I assure you all this was not a hard spank, no more that an adult dog would swat a puppy, and I was not angry, only firm. He is not used to me raising my voice, so a little goes a long way. I like the squirt bottle idea. His foster mother used this method. I will have it ready for tomorrow.

It was not an urgent potty issue, since he does this EVERY day, and takes his sweet time outside peeing.
He has never, ever nipped anyone, very non aggressive.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
The use of physical force in place of training is unacceptable. Smacking a small rescue dog?!
Get the pup a crate to sleep in, and take him to training classes. A trainer should be able to help you learn to train away from a behavior. Or just get some books about positive training.

My dogs are so happy to wake me in the morning, and if it is just too early I tell them thank you, give them a pat, and they lay back down. If they are insistent I know they need to go outside "now".

Smacking a dog for waking you up could lead to potty problems, and a lack of trust between you and your dog (that can sometimes never be repaired). "Spanking" your dog for that left it wondering what it did wrong... you taught nothing.

Using physical force is straight up lazy.
You are way out there, seriously.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:40 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
Animals use "physical force" in the pack, why do people get so outraged when the pack leader is human and does exactly what the animal understands?

I too have used "force" of a small swat to correct my dogs from barking like crazy when they see something out the front window. They would just ignore me when I told them "no". I eventually started yelling to try to get them to stop...I finally said "this is crazy" and walked over and gave them both a swat on the butt and they stopped immediately.

The alpha dog (pack leader) would nip, growl or even attack them if they did something the pack leader didn't like. I'm not talking about beating the dog, just a swat to get their attention when they are ignoring my commands to stop.

You did nothing wrong OP.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:47 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
gentle, take a newspaper and roll it up loosely then when his behavior is not as you wish rattle the newspaper at him and give him a stern no.
We had a chihuahua that we did this with and we taught not to bark at every little noise. If necessaary give him a swat to get his attention and proceed from there.
Using physical force is not a bad thing unless you are beating the animal which I am sure you are not.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:53 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
I wouldnt dream of hitting my wee dog...but then he doesnt jump all over me early in the morning... that might make a saint grumpy.. my one and a half year old has always slept until I myself get up and he gets up right away and toddles after me . same at night he waits for me to go to bed and goes in to his while I brush my teeth... as he knows its bed time... try not to hit the dog please ... but let him know your not happy abouthis behaviour by your tone.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:48 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I assure you all this was not a hard spank, no more that an adult dog would swat a puppy, and I was not angry, only firm. He is not used to me raising my voice, so a little goes a long way. I like the squirt bottle idea. His foster mother used this method. I will have it ready for tomorrow.

It was not an urgent potty issue, since he does this EVERY day, and takes his sweet time outside peeing.
He has never, ever nipped anyone, very non aggressive.

I cringe............. the dog is non-aggressive, but you are aggressive and brutal! There is NO excuse for striking a loving animal. You do not have the temperament to be a pet owner because you have no self-control. Do NOT get another pet until you have gone to 'human obedience school'.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:51 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I cringe............. the dog is non-aggressive, but you are aggressive and brutal! There is NO excuse for striking a loving animal. You do not have the temperament to be a pet owner because you have no self-control. Do NOT get another pet until you have gone to 'human obedience school'.
Lol, unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs