Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:07 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,319,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I have issues with using a crate as a form of discipline. Especially if used so exclusively.
That is just asking for trouble if one needs to put the dog in a crate for traveling or safety.
If the dog is only ever put in a crate when bad, they will not want to go in the crate when neccissary.
It will only confuse them as well.
You missed the Boat. What the other poster was saying is she Crates the dog at nite dog wont be able to jump on her in morning. Dog wont know its punishment... which its not its him being put to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 10:22 AM

285 posts, read 198,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You missed the Boat. What the other poster was saying is she Crates the dog at nite dog wont be able to jump on her in morning. Dog wont know its punishment... which its not its him being put to bed.
Locking a dog in a cage all night is punishment imo. Dogs like to be with their people and I think it's mean to lock it in a cage in the dark overnight. My dog lays in our bed and sometimes she gets up to get a drink. When she was a puppy we tried keeping her in a crate and she cried loudly. It felt wrong and we stopped and got rid of the crate.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:17 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,319,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKate34 View Post
Locking a dog in a cage all night is punishment imo. Dogs like to be with their people and I think it's mean to lock it in a cage in the dark overnight. My dog lays in our bed and sometimes she gets up to get a drink. When she was a puppy we tried keeping her in a crate and she cried loudly. It felt wrong and we stopped and got rid of the crate.
Then you didn't bother to TRAIN the dog to except the crate as his den. BTW do you have kids? Did you allow the kids to Sleep with you or did they sleep in a Crib? So what if your dog wants a drink or even a bite to eat. that's what doggie bowls are for.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:31 PM

285 posts, read 198,070 times
Quote:
Then you didn't bother to TRAIN the dog to except the crate as his den. BTW do you have kids? Did you allow the kids to Sleep with you or did they sleep in a Crib? So what if your dog wants a drink or even a bite to eat. that's what doggie bowls are for.
Well I did train my dog, but you're right that I didn't train it to accept the crate as it's den. It was a personal choice that felt wrong to me. I trained her pretty well too, because she doesn't chew stuff that doesn't belong to her and she pees and poops outside when I walk her. I kept her leashed while I trained her so I could keep her with me at all times. Then if I witnessed undesirable behavior I immediately redirected her. As she earned my trust she gained more freedom. Not everyone has that much time to devote to their puppy, and that's fine, my way isn't the only way (or the best way!).

Yes, I have children and they had a crib. There were times where I allowed cosleeping, but mostly during stressful times (like transitioning after a move). Kids and dogs are similar in some ways, but very different in others. One benefit of my dog is that she's ALWAYS polite to me, so she gets to sleep beside me in bed. LOL!!!

(Joking on the last sentence haha!)

Old 10-19-2016, 01:40 PM

36,563 posts, read 30,900,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
...and it worked. I feel bad though.
We are not yellers or spankers, with kids or animals, but today I got tired of "polite suggestions" for behavior not working.

Every morning when our dachshund, Freddie, thinks it is time to get up (6:30 or so) he starts going bat**** crazy. By this I mean he starts jumping on me in a crazy manner, and i tend to get scratched from his claws. Any other time of day or night, he is an angel, and has no behavior problems at all. Once I get out of bed, he becomes docile again.

So this morning I loudly scolded him and smacked his bottom, and he stopped the behavior instantly. I wonder if he will do it again tomorrow? If he does, I intend to do the same thing again until he stops doing it.

What do all you dog owners think this behavior is about? I am thinking that it is something that puppies do ...scrambling over the other puppies in the morning to get to their mom. Our dog is 3, and I am definitely "the mommy". He was a rescue, so not sure what his first years were like.
Hes a sly one. He has trained you go get up when he wants you to get up.
My dog has tried this on me but I've been there done that. She learned what time I get up for work so weekends when I dont get up so early she jumped on my bed, crawling all over me crying.
I think you did the right thing. Sometimes she will try to get me up because something is creeping around outside. I just yell a firm NO and she goes back to sleep.

I know others don't agree but what you did is what a mother dog or alpha dog will do to stop certain behavior of another dog. I'm sure you did not hurt our dog.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:00 PM

18,532 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Never used a crate and never would.. my wee dog sleeps on the floor beside my bed , he has a comfy bed and also a padded dog duvet at the side.. he likes to move around during the night when he gets hot.. and sometimes likes lying on the wood floor.. so no never a crate.. I wouldn put my child in a cage ..so not my dog.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Never used a crate and never would.. my wee dog sleeps on the floor beside my bed , he has a comfy bed and also a padded dog duvet at the side.. he likes to move around during the night when he gets hot.. and sometimes likes lying on the wood floor.. so no never a crate.. I wouldn put my child in a cage ..so not my dog.
I agree with you. I dont get why the OP is getting so much flack or why people think a scolding and smack, which is natural behavior for dogs and other animals in regards to discipline, is so horrible while keeping them in a cage all night, which is unnatural, is ok. None of my dogs have ever been crated. My kids either.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:12 AM

18,532 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree with you. I dont get why the OP is getting so much flack or why people think a scolding and smack, which is natural behavior for dogs and other animals in regards to discipline, is so horrible while keeping them in a cage all night, which is unnatural, is ok. None of my dogs have ever been crated. My kids either.
This crating seems to be seen as the norm now..I thought caged bears from the past would tell people who supposedly love dogs.. how cruel this is...

Old 10-20-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
This crating seems to be seen as the norm now..I thought caged bears from the past would tell people who supposedly love dogs.. how cruel this is...
Many people seem to think its the berries but I don't understand getting a dog and putting it in a box all day while your gone or all night while you sleep. We dont do that to our human family members (though I've thought about it with my kids a few times) so why with our dogs?
I have 3 dogs, German Shepard, Staffordshire Terrier and a medium size mutt that have run of the house at night and lately during the day because I need to do some repairs on my kennel. I dont have any problems with jumping on my bed (except the GS because she sleeps there sometimes) or getting in the trash, tearing things up or having accidents. They aren't even allowed to scratch or lick their butts within hearing distance because they were scolded or smacked once or twice for doing those things just like my kids were scolded/smacked for doing bad or dangerous things. So now they (the dogs) sleep in their favorite spots, not in a cage, until I get up.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:35 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,141,442 times
Quote:
Oh...I'm not being mean to my dog(!)....I'm just putting him to bed!

I feel so sad and sorry for your dog, too.

How can people be so horrid to their pets?

Hearts of stone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs