Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 08:30 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,987,290 times

Advertisements

Never. Never would we remove ourselves from danger and leave our dog to the unknown.
Just seems cruel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 11:22 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Wow I did not know any animals would starve themselves to death if they can't find the food they like.
In the wild, parrot pickiness is a survival feature. The young bird learns from its parents and other members of the flock which of the many plants in the local area are edible; sticking with only those familiar items as an adult ensures the grown parrot doesn't inadvertently poison itself by sampling one of the many plants in the area that are poisonous But that very sensible strategy backfires in captivity if the chick was fed a limited diet when it was in the "learning what is food" stage. The poor bird ends up thinking that all sorts of perfectly good foods might be deadly poison, and avoids them. Sometimes with determination the adult bird can be convinced to broaden its diet, but not always. It's really a human-created problem.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:41 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
If I had a vehicle---and many don't---I would pack up my pets and keep driving until I found some place that would shelter them. At least they would have a chance. If the place is unsafe for humans, what chance would a cat or dog have? Now my a-hole son---well, that's why I got him swim lessons

Old 10-08-2016, 11:39 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,676,119 times
No, I would not leave my dogs behind but I would also be hesitant to jump to conclusions about the actions of other people without knowing their whole story.

I really do hope we see the continuation and increase in public education as far as what rescources are available for pet owners and hopefully there will come a day when there is no excuse for a pet not being safely accommodated.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:00 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
No, I would not leave my dogs behind but I would also be hesitant to jump to conclusions about the actions of other people without knowing their whole story.

Buy you are judging and pointing your fingers at others.

What I do know is I would never leave my dogs alone, unless I was forced to by the cops at gunpoint.

Perhaps she has a valid reason, perhaps she doesn't. She might not know any better, perhaps she was told it was a mandatory evacuation and pets were not allowed in which case ignorance is her excuse.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:16 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Look at how many dogs are in the shelters. There is a percentage of people in this world who don't get attached to their pets. I don't know why they have them, but they get them and then abandon them without a thought.

In some evacuations, the rescue parties will not take pets, or will take pets in arms only. It's people only and they won't take a hound that takes up the space where another person could fit into the boat.

A lot of this comes down to forethought and planning for the whole family, including the pets. There are a few disasters that don't give forewarning, but not a lot of them. It takes little effort to have an evacuation plan for the entire family, including the pets.

Some people can't think ahead, even for a few hours, though. Look at how many people rush out to buy bottled water 30 minutes before the storm hits, even though everyone knows it is coming for 3-4 days prior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs