Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 08:24 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,770,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Earlier today i saw a lady being interviewed in a storm shelter and she said that she hopes her dogs are okay at home.

I would never leave my dogs alone, I would rather ride it out with them at home or I would just get in my car with them and drive north or west or wherever I can away from the storm.
No I'd take them. If you live in an area that is prone to hurricanes you need a plan to get you and your pets out and the plan should be in place whether there is a hurricane forecast or not. People had DAYS of warning to figure something out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 08:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,780,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
. But it DOES NOT come before human welfare! .
It depends how much you love your pet, for some people it does.

Dogs are family. I would not leave my family alone to die, I would rather die with them.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:36 AM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times
We have been in the situation twice and stayed with our dog. She would never have abandoned us.

The thing about having a pet is one needs to think about such things BEFORE getting the pet, how they will take care of emergencies. Too many people get pets for selfish reasons. A pet is a BIG responsibility.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:40 AM

10,108 posts, read 6,452,713 times
What Rowan123 said. A hurricane doesn't just pop up - there have been days of warning so people have had time to make plans ahead of landfall. It's not like a tornado that strikes without notice. I have my house set up to accommodate my cats in case of a hurricane (generator, emergency stores, hurricane resistant roof, etc.), however, if I was made to evacuate I would certainly take the cats and drive as far inland as needed until I found a place to stay for the duration. I'd never leave them there alone.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We have been in the situation twice and stayed with our dog. She would never have abandoned us.

The thing about having a pet is one needs to think about such things BEFORE getting the pet, how they will take care of emergencies. Too many people get pets for selfish reasons. A pet is a BIG responsibility.
I found my dogs in an animal shelter. I don't know why they were given away. My first little guy is wonderful and the friendliest dog I ever met. He was a healthy year and a half year old Chihuahua. I believe the reason given was they had to move. Perhaps it was an older person who had to go to a nursing home. I won't judge them. I've had his for over 2.5 years and won't give him up, if I have to move I will figure something out and take him with me. The other dog I got 2 years ago and he is the happiest dog in the world. He was mistreated by his previous owner and dumped at the shelter, the ad said they didn't take him to the overnight drop off and tossed him over a 6 foot locked gate. He was last call, no one wanted him after 30 days he was gonna be put down or have to find a rescue to take him. Both are wonderful dogs.

I would not abandon them for any reason.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 AM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Dogs are family. I would not leave my family alone to die, I would rather die with them.
And how does that help anyone? How does adding a human corpse to a pile of dog and cat corpses make anything better?

If your animals (for whatever reason) are doomed, what sense does it make to also doom yourself?

Old 10-07-2016, 08:51 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,770,382 times
Quote:
And how does that help anyone? How does adding a human corpse to a pile of dog and cat corpses make anything better?

If your animals (for whatever reason) are doomed, what sense does it make to also doom yourself?
If you're not an animal lover you'll never understand. I would not leave my pets anymore than I would leave a family member.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Like I said, it's family. I would not leave kids or pets or grandparents alone in a hurricane.

If you would, that's your prerogative.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:58 AM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The thing about having a pet is one needs to think about such things BEFORE getting the pet, how they will take care of emergencies.
Yes. And you need to be sensible and pragmatic enough to limit yourself to the number of animals you can actually move in an emergency such as a flood or a hurricane. Remember, in an evacuation situation you're going to need to move ALL your pets and ALL your human family members at once; there won't be time enough to do the job in stages. Do you own a vehicle big enough to accomplish that task? If not, do you have other friends or family members who could be relied upon to help with transportation if an evacuation is needed?

Unfortunately a lot of people don't think about this until a crisis occurs, and then it's hard to come up with good options.

(It's also a good idea to prepare a 'bug-out bag" for each family member, which contains essential medications, important papers, some clothes, etc. For pets, the "bug-out bag' should contain several days' supply of food plus vaccination/health records. Then if you ever have to leave RIGHT NOW!, everyone can just grab their bag and GO!)

Old 10-07-2016, 10:00 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,001,589 times
If you can't take care of a dog, don't get one.

I would NEVER leave my dog alone. If I go to a shelter that doesn't allow her, I guess I am going to sleep in my car. With her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs