Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:34 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,104,757 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't leave my dogs. But we have always had evacuation plans in place and we do evacuation training for the dogs-- run and jump into the van, everyone at once. My travel trailer is set up with kennels and everything the dogs need. About 1 minute to hook it up and off we go, with no need of evacuation shelters that won't allow my dogs.

That's what happens if I am at home.

We had a wildfire in my area that started while I was in town. I rushed back to get my dogs and the police had the area roadblocked and no amount of begging or tears would get me through the road block. Sometimes animals are not deliberately left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 10:38 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,427,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
To me our dog is part of the family and should be treated as such & YES I will judge someone who doesn't care about their pet....
Yep.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:52 AM

965 posts, read 939,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I wouldn't leave my dogs. But we have always had evacuation plans in place and we do evacuation training for the dogs-- run and jump into the van, everyone at once. My travel trailer is set up with kennels and everything the dogs need. About 1 minute to hook it up and off we go, with no need of evacuation shelters that won't allow my dogs.

That's what happens if I am at home.

We had a wildfire in my area that started while I was in town. I rushed back to get my dogs and the police had the area roadblocked and no amount of begging or tears would get me through the road block. Sometimes animals are not deliberately left.
This^^^ though I don't live in an area with many trees, so we usually just have to deal with smoke nearby, I still worry about it sparking to a house...

We have everything ready to go always (Snacks, leads, collars, bowls and a cup, water, important papers and sleeping bag, and extra clothes for me), and a crate for the cats.
Everyone is raw fed, so I don't worry about food for evacuating for wildfires.

We would follow the same practice with a hurricane since there is notice.

It is the time I get most stressed, when fires are kicking up everywhere. I also don't leave them during iffy snow weather either, because I can't afford to get stuck out of town even for half a day.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sometimes animals are not deliberately left.
That's a different situation. If you make an attempt to rescue them but can't because the police have that area closed off at least you tried to get to them.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
This^^^ though I don't live in an area with many trees, so we usually just have to deal with smoke nearby, I still worry about it sparking to a house...

We have everything ready to go always (Snacks, leads, collars, bowls and a cup, water, important papers and sleeping bag, and extra clothes for me), and a crate for the cats.
Everyone is raw fed, so I don't worry about food for evacuating for wildfires.

We would follow the same practice with a hurricane since there is notice.

It is the time I get most stressed, when fires are kicking up everywhere. I also don't leave them during iffy snow weather either, because I can't afford to get stuck out of town even for half a day.
I'm not following. Feeding raw is much harder than keeping dry food on hand, the major one being the requirement of keeping food refrigerated solely for your pets. Dry food doesn't spoil for months. Without power, keeping raw food fresh is difficult or impossible. Even humans subsist on canned food during natural disasters. And having notice of a hurricane's impending arrival doesn't help; it doesn't prevent long time power outages.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm not following. Feeding raw is much harder than keeping dry food on hand, the major one being the requirement of keeping food refrigerated solely for your pets. Dry food doesn't spoil for months. Without power, keeping raw food fresh is difficult or impossible. Even humans subsist on canned food during natural disasters. And having notice of a hurricane's impending arrival doesn't help; it doesn't prevent long time power outages.
I would be EVACUATING with my pets. I can buy more where I end up.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:11 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I would be EVACUATING with my pets. I can buy more where I end up.
Not if the power has gone out and the fresh food has spoiled. Best to make sure you pets will also eat canned or dry food as well as raw, as in a pinch raw may not be available.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:07 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,594,669 times
We do not get hurricanes but as I posted earlier we do get wildfires. The wildfires can start up in the mountains but with Santa Ana winds can come racing down very fast especially in the canyons. Many years ago one such fire started just as I was taking the dog walking along the beach and in that hour long walk it went from a little smoke to dark as night with ash falling even at the beach as the winds had caused it to roar down the mountains and even jump the freeway. I was living in a rental about a block off the beach and within a few hours they were telling people to evacuate and you would not be let back in so I took my dog and left. We found a place to spend the night then the next day I took her to my vets and boarded her until I could go home as my vets is in the downtown area so safer then where many homes are. It was easier for me to then spend the day out without dragging the dog every where.

Fires can change and move fast if the winds are bad and areas can get closed.Then they will not allow you in to get pets which is why Jazz and Dash went to work with me the one time. This is also the reason I would rather board my dogs at my vets when I am gone as while I did use a pet sitter for awhile I still did board them at dry times of the year when fires happen the most. Now I just board them as I doubt if a fast moving fire hit and the pet sitter was concerned about her own home that she would put getting my pets out as a #1 priority as I would so I just feel they are safer at the vets. Being in the downtown area the vets is removed from wild fire area. So like others have said I try to keep my dogs as safe as possible even if I am out of town.

We also get earth quakes and one day could get the " BIG ONE" hopefully if we do I will be home as that type of damage could make it very difficult to get home. Life does not come without risks.

There are disasters that you do get warnings for and can take action but there are the sudden ones that you do not get a warning. For the ones that do get warnings people should have plans and they should include pets.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Not if the power has gone out and the fresh food has spoiled. Best to make sure you pets will also eat canned or dry food as well as raw, as in a pinch raw may not be available.
Talking about EVACUATING, and NOT leaving pets alone. NOT About sitting and waiting out power cuts.

I'm a grown person who has raw fed to many, many pets for over a decade, and always with everything prepped and ready to go. I understand what needs to be done.

I wrote what I stock to be ready to EVACUATE, not what I don't stock to stay in place.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Earlier today i saw a lady being interviewed in a storm shelter and she said that she hopes her dogs are okay at home.

I would never leave my dogs alone, I would rather ride it out with them at home or I would just get in my car with them and drive north or west or wherever I can away from the storm.
Would be helpful if we knew why she had to leave her dogs behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs