Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 10:51 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,784,445 times

Advertisements

I have two Dachshunds, both adopted but one 6 months before the other. The first one - Roxy came with a bad habit of eating poop because the girl who had her left her in a crate all day.

Second one - Bella did not have this habit. She saw Roxy doing it so now they both have the habit.

I already tried pineapple and the stuff pet supplies stores sell to put on food. None worked. They have a doggie door with fenced area so I cant always get to it quick enough.

The other day it was suggested to put meat tenderizer on there food. Googled it and Cesar Milan has this tip on his site. Has anyone else done this? I don't eat meat and have never used meat tenderizer but I read it has salt in it. Is that safe? I thought dogs aren't supposed to have salt.
Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 11:20 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
I used pepper to break Katie of the problem. I watch her poo grab the pepper sprinkle it on before she had a chance to turn & eat it after a couple times she back away leave I did it for week of her not eating it just to re-enforce it. Lady-bug never ate hers or Katies. Lady was raised in a pen. Katie was raised out of a pen. Go figure!

Old 04-17-2015, 12:40 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,770,382 times
How old are they? If they're older dogs I wouldn't give them anything with extra salt in it.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:27 PM

30,566 posts, read 16,256,699 times
My Jessie dog used to do that too. Of course she was 7 when I adopted her so didn't know much of her background but I certainly never cooped her up in a cage.

When I saw her do it, I yukky fussed, not yelling at her, just acting disgusted. emphatically disgusted. She stopped but I don't know if it was because of my dramatics or for another reason.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
How old are they? If they're older dogs I wouldn't give them anything with extra salt in it.
They are around 7 yrs old.

I'm not around them when they poop so I can't sprinkle things at the moment or make a fuss.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:29 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,770,382 times
Maybe try another deterrent? I've had reasonably good luck with For-bid but honestly I've never been able to totally break mine of the habit.

Good luck.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:21 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
How do you Expect to Train them Not to eat it IF your not there when they potty?

Old 04-17-2015, 08:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,256,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I have two Dachshunds, both adopted but one 6 months before the other. The first one - Roxy came with a bad habit of eating poop because the girl who had her left her in a crate all day.

Second one - Bella did not have this habit. She saw Roxy doing it so now they both have the habit.

I already tried pineapple and the stuff pet supplies stores sell to put on food. None worked. They have a doggie door with fenced area so I cant always get to it quick enough.

The other day it was suggested to put meat tenderizer on there food. Googled it and Cesar Milan has this tip on his site. Has anyone else done this? I don't eat meat and have never used meat tenderizer but I read it has salt in it. Is that safe? I thought dogs aren't supposed to have salt.
Thanks for any help.
Try switching to a raw diet. Most kibbled dog foods end up passing through without being completely digested and thus the poos have an appealing food odor. Raw food is so well digested that the poos are really small and not nearly as fragrant.

If you do try a raw diet be sure to research thoroughly or go with a commercial AAFCO raw food. The commercials are a bit pricey but with two Doxies it likely won't break your bank.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How do you Expect to Train them Not to eat it IF your not there when they potty?
That's why I'm asking about the meat tenderizer idea. It was suggested to train them to stop. I'm not there because I have a doggie door so they can go out by themselves as needed. I'm disabled and bedridden and can't walk most of the time. Please don't make assumptions, if I could walk, I'd like nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Maybe try another deterrent? I've had reasonably good luck with For-bid but honestly I've never been able to totally break mine of the habit.

Good luck.

Thank you, that's why I'm asking about the meat tenderizer idea as another deterrent. I was hoping to get opinions if this worked for anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Try switching to a raw diet. Most kibbled dog foods end up passing through without being completely digested and thus the poos have an appealing food odor. Raw food is so well digested that the poos are really small and not nearly as fragrant.

If you do try a raw diet be sure to research thoroughly or go with a commercial AAFCO raw food. The commercials are a bit pricey but with two Doxies it likely won't break your bank.
This is a good idea to try and maybe I will but would like to know about the meat tenderizer. I guess I will just buy and try it. I'm a little nervous about the raw food thing since I've never done this before. I also don't eat meat so little to get over with that even though I do know their food is made with meat. I buy high quality food also, not cheap stuff. I also can't cook for myself so if there is a lot more preparation, might be an issue. I'm open to this though if it helps my Bella. Thank you.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:39 PM

107 posts, read 152,315 times
Only one of my dogs has had this problem and she doesn't do it all the time. She will only eat her own, and only when it is...uh..."fresh". In other words, if I can stop her from eating it immediately after she has pooped, then she won't go back later and eat it.

One thing that has worked for us is to give her a special treat when she comes in from going potty...she is so eager to get the treat that she doesn't take the time to eat the poop. I don't even have to watch her or call attention to the treat, she gets a treat when she comes in, and since she is extremely food motivated, it seems to do the trick.

This is such a frustrating thing to have to deal with...if you find something that works, please let us know! Good luck!

Last edited by ldydrgnfly; 04-18-2015 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs