Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:24 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,783,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Not going to deny a snuggle Can you keep them off the bed til they throw up? Does it happen as soon as they come in? Or is it unexpected hours later? I took care of a elderly lady years ago she had this elderly cat The cat would throw up within 30 mins of eating. After that the cat was fine & allowed on the ladys bed! By the time I was hired they had it down to a routine. Feed cat... cat waited til it thru up then cat got on bed til next meal.
Lol, no denying the snuggle.
No way to figure out when she will throw up and she doesn't do it every day. Sometimes weeks will go by and then other times it will be a few days in a row. She throws up in other places, not just the bed. She might eat it and throw up soon after or not until hours later. The key is going to be just to get her to stop eating it. I stopped at the vet today's to ask what they thought of the meat tenderizer idea and they never heard of that. I haven't done it yet because I don't get out much and the stores I have been to didn't even sell it.

Well with any luck I will be moving soon, I will get better and then I can be more on top of the situation. Or at least be able to pick it up before she goes for a snack. Yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 07:30 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,783,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I totally agree the type of food is not the issue. I wish you much luck OP but this is one thing I've never been able to stop unless they are on some kind of supplement to make the poop taste bad (I would think it would taste bad enough on its own!). I have noticed that, for the most part, it seems to happen when my dogs get older.

If you find something that is a permanent solution please post it because I'd love to try it.

Good luck!

--------------------------------

Slightly OT but I will add for anyone reading this thread, that I have had horrible luck with Blue Buffalo. It made my GSD lose his stunning plush coat. He looked like a sickly stray who was eating garbage to survive - his coat was that bad. I took him to the vet because I thought he was sick and they and ran a full blood panel and it was perfect. The vet thought it was the food. I switched him back to what I was feeding (Natures Recipe) and his coat is coming back in nicely. I know a lot of people swear by Blue Buffalo but I will never feed it again.
Yes, I will post if I find something that works.

Yeah I hear mixed feelings on Blue Buffalo but so far it's been ok for us. I try and mix it up and buy other brands just as good or better but some are really expensive. I buy them the best treats, nothing made in China and I read all labels. A friend tried to give me a bag of some Pup-peroni and I would even take that. I don't give them any junk food, ha

They actually love veggies.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 AM

26 posts, read 22,802 times
My Bandit eats his poop....sometimes. For him, I think it is more behavioral. He has never been in a pen/cage. When we went to work we would put out a "pee pad" and he was good about using it if he needed to, but there were tell-tale signs that there had been poo on the paper that mysteriously disappeared. I think he eats it so he won't get yelled at! LOL Now that I'm retired, I don't see him do it any more. He rarely ever ati it outside. Our vet recommended some chewable tablets from the pet supply store, but they really never did much good. Doxies are stubborn, so it will probably be a tough habit to break. Good luck.

Last edited by Jeanne Wolf; 04-30-2015 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: accidentally hit enter before post was complete

Old 05-01-2015, 03:19 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
Try a bit of V8 juice. Not too much or they get diarrhea. Just enough to make the poop taste gross(er).

Old 05-01-2015, 03:26 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,768,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Try a bit of V8 juice. Not too much or they get diarrhea. Just enough to make the poop taste gross(er).
V8 is tomato based and tomatoes can be toxic to dogs if they eat enough of them. IMO there are safer ways to discourage poop eating.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:56 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,995,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
V8 is tomato based and tomatoes can be toxic to dogs if they eat enough of them. IMO there are safer ways to discourage poop eating.
Ohhh??? I didn't know ...

well, my dog stopped eating her poop within 2 days and hasn't done it since.

But I guess I won't give her V8 juice anymore if she does it again... thanks for the tip!

Old 05-01-2015, 10:52 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,584,736 times
Um,

Dogs do that to explore their environment, don't they? I had a Chi-Poo, and she had this icky habit of eating other animals' poop. It didn't seem to affect her adversely, though, except, hopefully, people thought twice about letting her kiss them!

I've also heard that poop eating is a sign of not having the proper nutrients in their diet. Have you tried switching to a different food or maybe feeding a vitamin supplement?

Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 PM

121 posts, read 120,143 times
I worked at a vet clinic and we'd suggest the coprophagy products or meat tenderizer. Yes, the meat tenderizer has sodium, but used for a short term shouldn't hurt them.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:31 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,956,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post

I've also heard that poop eating is a sign of not having the proper nutrients in their diet.
I have a dachshund that does this, vet says it's an iron deficiency, I just have to keep a really close watch on her to keen her from doing it.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:35 AM

5,526 posts, read 7,120,303 times
My dogs eat their own crap and from the other dogs straight from the tap. They even love to snack out of the litter box.
When they belch, it is the most hideous thing you ever smelt!

I tried the pills, the meat tenderizer and none of that works. My vet even suggested injecting the poo with tobacco sauce, (He gave me a plastic syringe) All that stuff only enhanced the flavor.

Supervising them and picking it up as they go is the only answer for me, but I know this is a challenge for the OP.

I never tried the pineapple but will give it a shot. Pineapple is the most delicious food (to me), I can't imagine why that would have the opposite effect when it is recycled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs