Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:34 PM

340 posts, read 913,664 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine. He has a 2 year old American Pitbull. His dog has always had this pink rash on his belly and toward his hind legs. He has changed food multiple times, put him on allergy medication, and tried some doggy steroids from the vet.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing it? The vet seemed to be of no help with the prescriptions, so it's got to be something environmental. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Has he had a skin culture done? Could be a resistant staph infection. They can be tough to eradicate and often require a long series of pulsed antibiotics.

Is it year around or seasonal? Does the dog get ear infections and urinary tract infections? Or just the skin thing.

Food allergies often manifest with food itching and licking, and are actually not that common. Atopic/flea allergies are very common but seasonal. Pit bulls are prone to skin problems and allergies.

I say if vet #1 can't figure something out, get a second opinion. Detroit area, you say? Try Wilson Animal Hospital. A couple of locations - Romeo and...Warren? Google it. MSU vet school in Lansing will do RAST skin tests and come up with a custom cocktail to ease symptoms, but that is pricey.

Has your friend tried a completely grain free diet? That is cheap and worth a try.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Usually, if a dog does not react to antihistimines, it probably means a food allergy. Try cooked (poached in water, no seasonings) ground turkey and rice or sweet potato diet for a few weeks. Give him only distilled water to drink. If the rash gets better, then it's food-based, and you can buy a preccription dog food that is hypoallergenic, or a commercial brand that is grain-free (Wellness 2 ingredient or Blue Buffalo Basics).

Most commercial dog food have corn and grains in them, and dogs who are sensitive will develop allergies. They can also be allergic to chicken (of all things).

Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
We had this with our dog when we brought her home. She needed antibiotics to clear it, and we've been maintaining it on a grain free diet and she's been fine. No corn/wheat.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Okay staying with the food allergen theory, the big three food allergens: corn, wheat and soy.

If your friend has a Costco nearby, they sell the Kirkland brand, Nature's Domain, grain free. It comes in two flavors, turkey and fish. I had to put my Am Bull x on it to get grain free at a decent price ($31.99 for 40lbs).

If staying with the food allergen theory, if your friend is feeding the dog chicken or turkey, what have they (ranchers been feedig the chickens and turkeys, as in do they feed them corn?) If so, even though the bag says grain free, are the chickens and turkeys eating grain free, such as "free range chicken and turkeys" eat bugs, worms and such.

Bison, Venison, Duck and fish are other options...

Diesel's tummy issues are much better since he's gone grain free. I don't know if it was corn, wheat or soy that upset his lower GI but going grain free has been a true help.

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 04-09-2013 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Need a spelling and grammar button!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Lucy our Bichon was a bright pink on her under belly and hind quarters and she was miserable. While she was sensitive to insect bites we ruled that out as the cause (bites would cause hot spots-not pink spots) We tried a variety of dog foods including grain free, 1 source of protein, etc. Finally a very helpful clerk in the specialty pet store told me to try the fish variety of Nature's Variety because all other sources (chicken, turkey, etc) have been fed grains. This did the trick and Lucy has been a happy camper for many months now.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 PM

340 posts, read 913,664 times
I appreciate the feedback everyone, I'll be sending him to this page

Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM

765 posts, read 2,439,996 times
I have an English Bull Terrier - and his inside thighs and belly are often inflamed - at times worse than others. I found a chicken/barley formula (professional) that he does best on. When he is kenneled, he comes home COMPLETELY clear - so I know for sure that his inflamation is from grass, because he doesn't have a grassy area at the kennel. I don't know for sure if his allergy is to grass or to the chemicals on the grass. I just know that we and he, has to tolerate a bit of skin allergy so he can go for walks and to chase his ball (he lives to play ball - I can't take that away from him).

Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Dogs, pits, tend to lay on their stomachs, so I'm thinking it may be something in the grass or the carpet.
I would want to apply a soothing ointment, maybe coconut oil with a healthy dose of lavender oil, or some colloidal silver spray..

Old 02-12-2014, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 79,647 times
I have a Pitbull Boy with a rash with blisters and they burst. It is red and he often licks it. It is on his belly in the soft white area and going down his leg. He also now has it on his chin. We have given him Benadryl and antibiotics with no luck in clearing this up. It almost goes away and comes back. Does anyone know what this might be? The Vet is no Help!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs