Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2023, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 180 times

Advertisements

Awww the continual pink rash under arms/legs, chin and belly. This darn rash has only disappeared one in the 3 years I've had my American Pit. He has lived in different states, different climates and vegetation. Months in the desert with no grass, mosquitoes or allergens besides maybe mesquite. I know it's not environmental. After working for a national online pet store I heard other American Pit parents complain of the exact same rash. Sometimes gets hot to the touch and if inflamed will look burned and skin will crape and flake. The breed is sensitive to something specific. I'm still hunting that down. I eliminated all but natural household cleaners, cosmetics and laundry items. Switched to oatmeal hypoallergenic dog shampoo and have fed grain free food. So here's the only thing that worked...the OLD recipe of Nutri Source large breed puppy. ZERO rash for the week my dog ate from that 4lb bag. Thier new packaging must have a new recipe or a change because my dogs rash is diminished but not gone. Pink and not red, flat and not creped and not hot to the touch. It doesn't seem to bother my dog now. Still trying to find the official cure. I do think I figured out definitely no grain and omega 3 & 6 help battle whatever it is that is attacking my dogs skin internally. I am going to try the distilled water and start making food fresh. Next will be eliminate different types of proteins.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 06:26 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
This thread is so old, it's possible the dog in question isn't even alive anymore. But as a general story/advice: My old dog (who is also no longer with us) had a terrible skin issue when he was a few years old, which sounds similar to what this one had. Turned out to be a FLEA allergy, and even one bite from a flea would cause widespread itching and redness. I had to keep him on a very strict regiment of flea control, and that did the trick. He lived to almost 17, and only had maybe one or two more flareups after that.

Old 01-31-2023, 10:53 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,641,866 times
My dog has had skin problems ever since we got him five years ago. We have been to several vets, tried different foods, Cytopoint, you name it. Once he starts scratching, his skin becomes infected. Then we go to the vet for antibiotics. The only thing that keeps the itch away is bathing with medicated shampoo every two weeks. I know it's harsh and bathing too often is not good but it works for us. This is the shampoo we use: https://www.chewy.com/miconahextriz-...cats/dp/114184
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs