Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,178,212 times

Advertisements

I manage a restaurant and we're uber-pet-friendly, to the point of allowing some of our regular's dogs in to say hi to everybody, get their little bacon treat and go to the patio, where dogs are allowed.

Today, a stranger came in with a Jack Russell, immediately flashed a "service dog" ID and he and his dog were just lovely. The human didn't appear to have anything wrong with him, not visually or physically impaired, so why a service dog? I got curious and voila:

Now I see...anyone can buy "service dog" documentation on the internet with no verifiication.

This is exactly what the guy showed me:

Service Dog ID Tag and Vest Set

For $70 my dogs can be "service dogs," too. What an insult to the folks who require REAL service dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,052,837 times
Yes, anyone can buy the Service Dog vests, etc.
BUT - just because a person LOOKS fine, does not mean they don't have a legitimate need for a service dog.
I know two people who have service dogs for uses that would not show - One is a diabetic & the dog is able to detect dangerous sugar levels. Another is subject to seizures, and the dog can detect them before they happen.

Those illegitimate sales should be banned and the people pulling those scams heavily fined.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,449,699 times
This is really becoming a problem for me as well.

And a liability issue, it is a big mess.

You cannot ask what a person's disability is...or what services the dog does.

But, the problem is what will happen if someone' "service dog" that has no obedience training, goes for the throat of a legitimate service dog, that has had years of specialized training...

I deal with this balance on a daily basis, and the stress is killing me.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,710,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is really becoming a problem for me as well.

And a liability issue, it is a big mess.

You cannot ask what a person's disability is...or what services the dog does.

But, the problem is what will happen if someone' "service dog" that has no obedience training, goes for the throat of a legitimate service dog, that has had years of specialized training...

I deal with this balance on a daily basis, and the stress is killing me.
Whoa!

That makes me nauseous just thinking about it.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,908,846 times
actualy you CAN ask what the service dog DOES...you can ask what tasks the dog has been trained and how th dog helps with the persons disability you CANNOT ask what that dissiabilty IS but you can ask "is that serivce dog" and "what kind of assistance oes your dog provide"

as a business owner or workr you canot assume because someone is not visability disabled that they are not disabled...
i have epilepsy severe agoraphobia and mood and anxiety isorders i also have a heart condition...however you wodlnt know it to look at me...and with my conditions it is reccomendd that i have a service dog...
so i now have to worry that someones going to tell me my dog CANT be a srvice dog because i dont LOOK disabled...?
its not bad enough that i have to deal with "oh well you LOOK fine" on a regular basis but now i have to worry about potentially getting into arguments with store/resturaunt staff should i ever want to actually take my service dog to any of the places "normal" people go because i dont LOOK disabled enough to count?

now as a worked/buisness owner you DO have the ight to ask a customer to remove their service dog if it is being legitimatly disruptive...this means if the service dog (legitimate or not) is not behaving (shoud be quiet and inconspicuous, no random sniffing or getting up in strangers faces, unnessicary barking, growling ect...) or if the handler is not being respectfull (ie feeding their "service dog" at the table, ect) you can sk them to remove the dog (they can come back witout the dog) on those grounds...

yes people take advantage, BUT MANY legitimate service dogs are owner/handler trained due to costs or service type.
technically a service dog handler doesnt need ANY type of id/vest ect.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 PM

Wish it was that easy Foxy...believe me, I have had the law reviewed by administrative law judges.

It seems like this "law" changes on a weekly basis. And is subject to "interpretation". We don't want to "offend" disabled folks...

The whole thing makes me ill.

It used to be simple. Blind people had dogs. Done deal.

Not any more..siezure dogs, PTSD dogs, hearing dogs, mobility dogs, and people want them to go every place..and by the "law" they don't even have to be in a harness. Heck, just throw a rope around it's neck...

Drives me crazy.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,954,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It used to be simple. Blind people had dogs. Done deal.

Not any more..siezure dogs, PTSD dogs, hearing dogs, mobility dogs, and people want them to go every place..and by the "law" they don't even have to be in a harness. Heck, just throw a rope around it's neck...

Drives me crazy.
It's wonderful that dogs can be trained to help so many people in different ways.

I do think that there needs to be some sort of licensing at the state level. I would never want to try to judge whether someone needed the service dog, but the state already has to decide when someone can drive, have a handicap parking tag, etc. so they should be able to decide when a service dog is necessary.

I think what you're trying to express here is that healthy people who buy credentials for their dog on the internet so they can take their untrained dog anywhere they want are lowering the reputation of legit service dogs. Eventually it could lead to service dogs being banned in some places, and then people who truly need the service dog will not be able to take it where they need to go.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM

687 posts, read 1,497,979 times
It's a tricky situation for all involved. I have a brain injury, and get lost quite easily, which can then bring on quite the panic attack. I also don't always see curbs and steps. I have a wonderful dog who has gone through obedience training, and I am training her to be my service dog. She knows to "lead" me so I can see her going up or down first, and am cued in not to trip. As for "find home," "find my car," "find Dad's car," etc., we are having to teach her that here at home. I know how hard people have fought to have service dogs, and try to be very conscientious in her training. If I have a person with me, I don't take my dog. This has made her training take a little longer because I don't have her out in public as much as I would like. Because I "look" fine, I'm always a little afraid people will hassle me. At this point, she is identified as a "Service dog in training." By law, it is up to me to determine when she is ready to be identified as a full "Service Dog."

I know there are people who abuse the law, and just order things online, but please don't assume there is not a need for a dog, just because the person looks fine.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 PM

687 posts, read 1,497,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I do think that there needs to be some sort of licensing at the state level. I would never want to try to judge whether someone needed the service dog, but the state already has to decide when someone can drive, have a handicap parking tag, etc. so they should be able to decide when a service dog is necessary.
I agree...sort of. I wish there were a license, so I could officially prove my dog is a service dog. At the same time, there are so many different types of tasks, it would be very difficult to set up a good licensing process. Also, if full, "guide dog" type training were necessary for all dogs, it could cost $10,000-25,000 to obtain one. Many people who truly benefit from their dogs could not afford this.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 PM

I will admit that part of the problem is also the "militant" stance that even people with legitimate service dogs have..."this is my guide dog, he can go ANYWHERE with me, or I will sue.".

Well, great. But please have some common sense. For example, a blind person goes to an unfamiliar place, say a hospital, for example, the dog at this point is also unfamiliar with this place, and is really just guiding the blind person around so he/she wont bump into things. Not unlike a human guide. It is difficult to be blind and also control a dog in an unfamiliar environment. Thus, the dog is almost in the way at this point. The human does not know what direction he/she is going, and the dog takes direction from the handler.

Guide dogs are great mobility tools for blind people, but may not be helpful in unfamiliar areas.

Also, in some circumstances, it is appropriate to review situations and other people. If someone has a fear of dogs, or is allergic, is it appropriate to insist that you and your dog are a priority?

This is not meant to stir up arguments...I am pro service dog. I like dogs. But, I also think sometimes, service dogs are not appropriate in all places. Respect needs to go both ways. Rights of disabled should not trump rights of everyone, in all circumstances.

But, the topic is..."service dog scam"...sorry for my digression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs