Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:50 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,302,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have to agree. With all the hoopla over "discrimination" people with disabilities are left conspicuously out of the equation. And we are regularly and blatantly discriminated against. Even by doctors. I've had it happen in the emergency room. I've had more than one doctor contemptuously dismiss me as being actually disabled. Oh, there is very visible outward indication of my disability, but it takes at least an x ray to see for what it really is. The scars and disfigurement are pretty telltale, but the real damage is inside.

Just based on my own experiences with the predjudice and outright bigotry disabled people endure, if someone tells me their animal is a service animal (like I'd even ask anyway) it's not my business to judge.
Exactly.
Adding also, as having read enough posts to even mini quote all of them, but many things are not seen on the surface. Be it a seizure dog,PTSD or hearing for example. The dog does not need to be a large dog such as needed for balance, as well as other disabilities. Disabilities act and violation there of comes with a serious fine, and not to be taken lightly.
Frankly I find it rather offensive to read how many jump on the " Scam" bandwagon... May they never need the assistance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 08:36 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,959,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

You cannot ask what a person's disability is...or what services the dog does.
IIRC from the other recent thread on this topic, you CAN ask what the dog is trained to do.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:37 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
Why is this one been bumped up when we have the other one active?

Old 03-26-2017, 05:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,777,887 times
It is also difficult to understand, a service dog may not look like one.

My wife had ear operations years ago. She is deaf in one ear, and hard of hearing in the other. She has a difficult time determining when something is an unsafe condition for her. She has had a service dog (hearing ear dog) for over 20 years. That dog is to warn her of danger, or something that needs her attention.

She started with a Miniature Collie, then a Jack Russel Terrier, and her current dog is a 5 pound Chihuahua.

A lot of people have a hard time accepting the fact a Chihuahua can be a service dog. They do not realize that they are considered one of the best watch dogs in the world, and are very alert and able to warn a person of danger around them. For her he is the best of the ones she has had. Nothing gets past this dog, and when about he is a far better hearing dog than a big one would be, without causing the disruption a large dog causes.

A lot of people would look at my wife and her tiny dog and automatically believe the dog is a fake service dog. They would be wrong. People are too quick to judge, no matter what the subject. They think they know what is the truth, and what is the lie just looking at people. The majority of people that need a service dog, are like my wife, and do not show the problem and get around as well as they do, because the dog sends them the signals, and the help they need without it being obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs