Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:08 PM

57 posts, read 167,582 times

Advertisements

we have a1 year old dark brindale boxer and she is spoiled,we have 5 humane boys and she thinks she is one of them,they have there ways but I think they are awesome dogs.You do need to have them train so they won't jump on you,which they do learn fast,They are very easy to train as well,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 AM

629 posts, read 3,600,097 times
Thanx all for the info!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:27 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
2 experances with boxers...when I was a kid the neighbors had 3...there was about 50 kids in the neighborhood..gues where we played! Yes we all ended up at the boxers houes & not 1 kid got hurt by these dogs! Babies in diapers that could barely walk to teens. Then 3 years ago a friend of mine that has allergies to dogs & asmas discovered the boxer she got 1 it sleeps at her feet..no medical problems! & no peoblems with her 3 kids! Youngest just started school!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 AM

859 posts, read 2,150,042 times
We also have a boxer boy, he is very strong willed, and walking him anymore is not happening, he is just to * exitet* too many things catch his attention and we have LOTS of deer, which he of course wants to chase. lol I will however buy the *gentle halter for him and try this
But we have a huge back yard, and he is never chained.

Just a thought here just because a breeder has a *AKC* Paper does not mean the Breeder is ANY good nor does it proofe the Dog is any good. No Offense to out breeders here.
AKC is not what it use to be anyway, I turned in a *rep.Breeder* to AKC who ran a Puppy mill, I was told " Well what do you want us to do?" I was disgusted with the help, and concern THEY (AKC) showed in this Matter.

As always check out the breeder, whether it has Papers or NOT.
Go to their Home, request to see the Dogs ( ALL of them not just the Pup), the area they use, request refrences from people they sold too.

Also try petfinder, they always have Babys there too

Old 10-09-2007, 08:26 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,955,713 times
"papers" are only good for rolling up, and whacking yourself in the head with

No, seriously, people seem to think that AKC is some kind of mark of quality, when nothing could be further from the truth. On one hand, they state that they are registry, and nothing more, not much different from the car registry of your state! They register dogs of specific breeding.

The confusion sets in because in addition to registering pure-bred dogs, they hold the breed standards, and have AKC sanctioned shows and matches, which DOES judge quality, issue titles of record (points in the breed ring, Championship titles, obedience titles, etc).

Confusing, isn't it

Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,430,380 times
Thumbs up Boxers are great with children

My family got a dark brindle boxer, Butch, for my dad's birthday (it was a year b4 he passed away). We paid about $400. Best gift we ever got him. Yeah, they do get excitable, love to jump, & knock everyone over but I've known other large breeds that also do this (labs). They do need alot of training & attention. But they're great with kids & have the energy level to keep up with them. And they're very protective. My mother had Butch for about 10 years (he died of cancer) & he followed her everywhere. Not that anyone would try to mess with her with the dog around; people mistook him for a pitbull. And he loved her grandkids - kisses for all. My younger sister got one for her 4 boys. She says she can't see any other breed of dog for them. And Iggy is just as protective of my sister; he follows her everywhere too. And if I had the space, I would get a white boxer. A friend owned one years ago & I still think they are the best-looking dogs around.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,607,264 times
This is Millie she is was 10 in July born in the UK and has lived in 3 states here.
She is the first white Boxer we have ever owned or should I say been owned by !!! Have always had Boxers before and they are wonderful. Lots of people said that they have more health problems than other Boxers but thats not true in Millie's case. In the UK white Boxers are often put to sleep at birth !!! as they cannot be shown or registered with the Kennel Club. We had Millie spayed as I dont think it is a good idea to breed from white Boxers as often they are deaf - she certainly isnt.
Attached Thumbnails
Boxers-100_1177.jpg  

Old 10-09-2007, 11:02 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
I have never owned a boxer myself, but my brother owns one and a good friend of ours use to own one. They are very sweet dogs, but the two that I have been around were very active, not that that's a bad thing! lol! Any breed of dog can be good with children if they are well bred, properly raised, trained and socialized and never left unattended with children. Our three APBTs are far better with children than our two Labs were! I'm sure you already know this, but I have to say it.. Before you get any breed of dog it is critical to do research on the breed to make sure it is the right breed for you and your family.

Here are some good Boxer websites..
Boxer (dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
American Kennel Club - Boxer
Boxer Information and Pictures, Boxers
Boxer

Good luck!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:28 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,177,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
"papers" are only good for rolling up, and whacking yourself in the head with

No, seriously, people seem to think that AKC is some kind of mark of quality, when nothing could be further from the truth. On one hand, they state that they are registry, and nothing more, not much different from the car registry of your state! They register dogs of specific breeding.

The confusion sets in because in addition to registering pure-bred dogs, they hold the breed standards, and have AKC sanctioned shows and matches, which DOES judge quality, issue titles of record (points in the breed ring, Championship titles, obedience titles, etc).

Confusing, isn't it
Personally from a breeder stand point, papers are very important because we strive to not only find loving homes for our puppies but to also find homes that will show wether it be agility or comformation (most of our buyers do show). With that being said I do agree if you are not interested in showing at all then no papers arent necissarily that important.

I wish that AKC would be more selective about the dogs and puppies that they allow registration. I say this because you get alot of people who have two AKC dogs that breed and register puppies with no thought of the standered, who the puppies are going to, bettering the breed, etc.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Personally from a breeder stand point, papers are very important because we strive to not only find loving homes for our puppies but to also find homes that will show wether it be agility or comformation (most of our buyers do show). With that being said I do agree if you are not interested in showing at all then no papers arent necissarily that important.

I wish that AKC would be more selective about the dogs and puppies that they allow registration. I say this because you get alot of people who have two AKC dogs that breed and register puppies with no thought of the standered, who the puppies are going to, bettering the breed, etc.
To a certain extent I agree with you. However I think for a good pet pedigree is just as important as a show dog. To show the AKC papers are needed. A pet owner really doesn't need the AKC papers, however since the dog is registered it has a known lineage and bloodline. If you want a sound pet make sure it comes from a reputable breeder and a healthy line, as well as dogs that don't have temperament issues. Hope you see what I mean. Keeping a quality dogs will come from a quality line.

I agree with you on the AKC (and other registries), it would be nice if they actually selected for quality. In some other countries you can "register" the litter as being on file but have limited registration on ALL the pups. This is not the breeders choice, it is done by the kennel club. Then when the dogs are adults they can be evaluated as being breeding quality or not and then given recognized registration.

In some countries there is no puppy registration period the dog can't be registered until it is evaluated as an adult. Similar to UKC registering a non UKC registered APBT. However the sad part is if you have a AKC or ADBA AST/APBT you must have the dog inspected before he/she can be UKC registered but if you have the worse looking, poor structure, bad temperament and bad health APBT that was registered as a pup from UKC parents you can go right ahead and breed that dog register the pups.

When you apply for single registration to the UKC it says the inspection is to help ensure quality of the APBT and has a little paragraph about it. So why don't they do this same thing to dogs who are already UKC? Instead of allowing all this crap to be bred/registered. Also this is only for APBT, the single registration of other breeds doesn't require the inspection from what I have seen.

It is true that some people mistake AKC for "quality". Simply being registered isn't enough, all it means is the dogs ancestors have been kept on file with the registry. People need to do more research. Its like the guy who paid $350 for his reg Pit Bull and said he got a dog with a good bloodline, papers and everything. He had no idea what bloodline (so couldn't factually say if it was good/bad), he just assumed since the dog was "expensive" (in his opinion) and had papers it must be a great dog. If they show/work the dogs, have health testing, temperament testing is always a plus, and the dogs in the pedigree match up to being the same quality, they have a good reputation and a great health guarantee thats where to go.

There are also people who think AKC is the only reputable registry in the world. They act like if its not AKC then its crap. While the UKC is a long time reputable registry and so are other foreign registries. On this other forum one person said something to the extent of they baulk at breeding APBT because they are not AKC FSS registered. The comment is senseless because their are reputable registries for the APBT and considering the AKC accepted APBTs for registry in 1936 under the name of AST they are not going to then later add them to the FSS program. Some how people have it in their head that all AKC dogs are quality and only AKC dogs are quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs