Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 27,210 times

Advertisements

Lulu started off with sneezing every now and then, Then came the hacking type cough we thought she had something stuck in her throat. I have just returned from our vets. Lulu is on the right tablets now. You wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her other than this horrible cough. sounds like sucking. I know now its reverse sneezing. She is two and a half years old. well feed and well cared for. I take her for long walks thats were the trouble starts playing with other dogs. But what can you do ? She is sleeping in her bed now snoring her head off. Thats another thing she has now stated to do. what can we do you can't stop your dog playing with other dogs. Just love them and look after them when things go wrong. Wish us luck. Sevenoaks UK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 8,895 times
My dog has a dry hacking cough. she is a 12yr old chauhaha. I also have 2 yr old Poodle that I take to the goomers each month. But, both dogs have had their Bortetlla shots. Poodle gets one each year in April and the Chuahaha had one in March and one April of this year because we boarded them both while we went on vacation last May. The Chuahaha does this hacking occassionaly. Most of the time it is in the house. When she goes outside for awhile, it seems to improve some. I have given her childrens Benedryl and that does not help. Could it be a kennel cough carried home from the poodle that goes to the groomer each month.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:45 AM

414 posts, read 1,011,194 times
Our dog had this too. Though he's just a little guy...a pomeranian. We saw that one of the signs of heartworm is this hacking cough, so we took him to the vet right away. They did some chest xrays (he didn't have heartworm) becuase they thought it might be congenital (sp?) heart failure...I guess that can be one of the signs...when we called the vet and told her the issue with the cough she wanted us to bring him in right away because of that. But the xrays revealed his heart was fine! We were so relieved.

Basically he had an upper respiratory infection and had to go on antibiotics. He really enjoyed that because we'd wrap his pill up in a small piece of meat!

I'd have your dog checked out. It could be nothing...could be something small or a bigger problem. I hope everything is ok!

Old 10-02-2010, 02:46 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,139,540 times
Edison has a hacking thing going on these past few days. It was an upper respiratory infection as well. He got some meds that have made him totally sleepy but he's almost done and no more hacking! Woohoo!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:29 PM

414 posts, read 1,011,194 times
The antibiotics made Bear a bit sleepy too! Though that was better than hearing him cough all night as he sleeps in our bedroom! It was waking us up and of course we don't like to see him uncomfortable! Poor guy...he probably didn't get much sleep!

I guess dogs can get coughs just like we do! I'm sure they get just as irritated about it as us!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,263,172 times
Our dearly departed Yorkie used to hack regularly -- sometimes continually. Vet said (if I remember correctly) that it was caused by a "narrow trachea". We finally got a cough syrup that we'd give her at the first sign it was getting bad, and that would usually stop it in its tracks.

The vet said it wasn't uncommon for Yorkies, and I'd assume it's not unheard of for other breeds.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 25,194 times
To all of the dog pet owners out there do not try to diagnosis your pet. Take them to the vet. My dog is a mix breed of Maltese, ****zu, Llapso Apso these breeds are prone to breathing problems. My dog was diagnosed with COPD a few months ago. He is now on medicine for it prednisone and aminophylline and is doing much better. The vet has tried him on two cough suppressants but, they didn't seem to work. I am still try to find some other medicine that will help him from hacking. Everybody out there who has a dog with those symptoms take them to the vet. COPD just gets worse as the time goes by. It is a chronic disease and won't ever go away. You just need to manage the dogs symptoms and get them on meds. You don't want to have the vet diagnosis it at Stage 3 or 4. The sooner the better.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,177,703 times
Chefrenee. I'm sorry your dog has COPD. I'm glad you could give him quality of life.

But I don't run my dog to the vet for every single thing. This thread is from September 2007.

My dog never went for the vet for this. He's still alive. He's still super healthy for a very old dog.

I just overly worry since he's 16 years old. I'm careful to not run to the vet for everything. I tend to be a hypocondriac via my pets.

And that means being careful to figure out the difference between my silly worrying and real issues that need a vet's attention.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 PM

Default Hopes

Your lab could have allergies, There could be an infection in his eyes, ears or nose that could be causing it. It could have a heart problem, COPD. It could be anything. Your best bet is to take the lab to the vet and they can determine what is going on. I don't want to alarm you but, My dog last year was vomiting yellow phlem not to often and just a few months ago he started hacking in the morning and evening or when he gets excited. I took him to the vet and he had to get chest x-rays. The results came back that he has an enlarged heart and COPD. I was devastated but, with the help with two kinds of meds he is doing much better. The vet can put it on a cough suppresant and maybe that will help but, go to the vet is my advice. I hope everything works out for you.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 PM

Default hopes

I didn't mean that you have to run your pet to the vet every time something is wrong. I don't even do it with my dog or 2 cats. Only when I see that there is something out of the norm that is wrong with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs