Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

Can he get bordatella even though I have him immunized for it?

I'd just be heartbroken if he had COPD.

I'm definitely calling the vet on Monday. I'll let everyone know what she says. Let's hope it's something minor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 03:59 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,909,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I'd just be heartbroken if he had COPD.

I'm definitely calling the vet on Monday. I'll let everyone know what she says. Let's hope it's something minor.

The COPD is not as bad as it may sound. My dog has functioned well after being diagnosed with it and it's been over 10 years for her.
She is still able to run and play...she just needs meds to help her breath is the only difference.

I just offered another view. One that I was not aware of until she was diagnosed with it.

*Think positive*

Old 09-23-2007, 05:32 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,225,338 times
My dog cough like that and it is allergies. Talk to the vet before you panic, it is probably something simple. Any small items around your home that she could have swollowed? We had a cocker that ate a lego once and she had a hack too. Took her to the vet, when they went to do a scope of her, the tube forced the lego down and she passed it the next day. That dog would eat anything as a pup, it was horrible.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:17 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yes! The Bordetella vaccine is not 100% as there are several strains of bordetella and they can't vaccinate against them all in one vaccine. Think of it like you would the human flu shot; it can help it in not being as severe if you contract it, but there's no 100% guarantee.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 39,202 times
Recently one of my Goldens is doing the same thing. Maybe once or twice a day now for the last few days he's been making a weird, loud wheeze/gag/hack/snort sound. It's either like he's going to throw something up or hyperventilate. He's also got a little dark debris showing up in his ear, so this may be allergies...I plan on changing his food & then a trip to the Vet.
Let me know how you come out. Good luck...I just wish our fur-children could talk & tell us what's going on.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:15 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,275,975 times
If your dog is not on monthly injections or pills for heartworms, the hacking can be one of the first signs of major distress.

Have your dog checked - if the test is negative, hit your knees and thank your lucky stars, and make that a part of your regular first of the month activities. It's so important - and yes, it costs, but HW treatment is worse. Much worse. Not sure where you live, so maybe that's not a player - but I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone to keep their dog on meds!

Mine are hacking and gagging too, but we're in the south and it is definitely allergies...six Rottweilers sounding like they are ralphing up hairballs is not attractive at all....

Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
He was tested last month. He takes monthly pills now. It's probably allergies. We have an appointment on Friday. I'll let you know.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:38 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I'd love any information on heartworm. Does anyone here have any experience with it? Is there hope for him if he has heartworm?
Is heartworm contagious? Could my beagle/basset catch it from the lab?
We don't live in an area with a large amount of mosquitoes, but there are mosquitoes like everywhere else.

Heartworm is not contagious. It's a parasite from mosquitos bites. You don't have to be in "swampland" to have heartworm problems. If you have mosquitos, I believe you could heartworm. Yes, it's treatable if your animal is infected, but it's very hard on the animal and can get expensive.

You should certainly give your dogs Heartguard or something all year round in your climate. The vet must get a negative heartwork test before beginning preventative treatment- giving Heartguard to an infected dog can kill him.

Two of my dogs had kennel cough when I was living with people who took their unvaccinated dogs to group situations. It sounded a lot harsher than a furball, and they often vomited slightly from coughing so hard. It looked pretty dramatic. I don't know if there are milder cases or not. I had everyone vaccinated recently when they were going to be kenneled- kennel wouldn't take them without proof of that and other shots.

Good luck at your vet's. And get them started on Heartguard for year-round. It's not worth the risk of serious illness.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 PM

17 posts, read 105,077 times
Hello Hopes, I have a beagle and he started making that hacking noise this Summer. It scared me half to death because it sounded like he couldn't catch his breath. I took him to the Vet and the Vetinariam said that it was allergies. He told me to buy him regular Benedryl (25mg). If you buy the 50mg break it in half and give it to him. I had to wrap the pill around some meat so my dog could get it into his system. I gave him Benedryl around the clock and I haven't heard him hack since then (3 months).

GOOD LUCK

Old 09-26-2007, 12:57 PM

211 posts, read 985,529 times
my dog has been doing this since I got him 7 years ago, when he first started doing it I was scared as hell because I didnt know what it was, but I heard it was common in alot of dogs, I would notice him only doing it maybe once or twice a week, but in the last week or so I actually have been noticing him doing it more frequently
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs