Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 AM

10 posts, read 24,877 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in New Britain. We are currently in Lancaster County, PA. - originally from Philly and we don't miss the city life at all. Looking to continue our quiet, rural life within a reasonable commute to New Britain. We are bringing along an unhappy 19 year old who is not thrilled about leaving but cannot afford to live here on his own. He's considering continuing his education ( possibly a community college or tech school ) so throw that into the mix. The taxes in CT are already scaring the bejezuz outa me... annual tax on my car, are you people serious? Also concerned about drugs/gangs/etc. That was the reason we left Philly when the kids were little. Is it possible to have a little bit of land and still order a pizza on Friday night on less than 100K a year? Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 10:23 AM

21,669 posts, read 31,330,023 times
CT has a little bit of everything. Lots of suburbs. Some ghettos. Some rural areas (not as rural as Lancaster though).

What's your price range for housing?

Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 AM

I don't think we could go higher than 250,000. Right now we've got an acre surrounded by neighboring farms - 3bed/2bath cape. We live just outside of a town of about 9,000 with a 30 minute drive to Lancaster City ( pop. 55,000 ) and it is really nice. We wouldn't even be considering the move but the job has alot of potential.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfgirl85 View Post
I don't think we could go higher than 250,000. Right now we've got an acre surrounded by neighboring farms - 3bed/2bath cape. We live just outside of a town of about 9,000 with a 30 minute drive to Lancaster City ( pop. 55,000 ) and it is really nice. We wouldn't even be considering the move but the job has alot of potential.
In this market you can probably find a decent house for 250k in the New Britain area. I'd suggest you start your search in the suburbs around New Britain - Berlin, Newington, Plainville, Farmington. Farmington will be the priciest but it's also IMO the nicest of all the towns. Berlin isn't bad either. New Britain itself has seen better days.

If you desire something more rural, definitely take a look at the Middletown area. Portland is a beautiful town, and very close to Middletown (which has a great downtown with restaurants, pubs etc). Cromwell is nice too. Both are easy commutes to New Britain on Route 9. Haddam is nice too, but a bit further out.

Taxes in CT aren't that much higher than they are in Philly, but yes, we do have a car tax. It's probably one of the biggest negatives to registering your car here. It depends on the mill rate of your town - take Berlin for example. The mill rate is 25. For every $1,000 the town assesses your vehicle at, you'll pay $25. So if you own a car that's assessed at 20k in Berlin, you'll pay $500 annually in taxes on that car.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:50 AM

21,874 posts, read 28,247,078 times
Tons of rural feeling options near New Britain. Bethany, Cheshire, Durham, New Hartford, Bethlehem, Morris, Portland, Haddam, etc. Most are about a half hour commute.

Depending on where you wind up, your son could go to Naugatuck Valley Community College in Waterbury, or the spiffy brand new Gateway Community College in Downtown New Haven, which will certainly have more to do for him.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Depending on where you wind up, your son could go to Naugatuck Valley Community College in Waterbury, or the spiffy brand new Gateway Community College in Downtown New Haven, which will certainly have more to do for him.
Tunxis CC would probably be closest to New Britain.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Thanks for all the help - I guess I'll be spending the rest of the day on zillow.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfgirl85 View Post
Thanks for all the help - I guess I'll be spending the rest of the day on zillow.
Stop back and let us know what you decide.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,165,557 times
I have a few clients in Lancaster/Harrisburg and live here in CT. I am there a few times a year. Kid is right, it's not as rural as Lancaster county, but there are many similarities. Although I would avoid New Britain, there are certainly pleasant homes to be found in the 200K-250K range in the Hartford area. If you are willing to commute a little longer, there are lovely more rural towns in the Middletown area and also in Eastern Connecticut. Durham might be another town to consider.

Miserable 19 year olds are miserable wherever they go, but I would recommend community college for him-- Not only will it get him on the path to qualifying for better jobs, but it's where he can meet his friends and a social clique. I have a cousin who moved here at 18 right after graduating high school. he's going to CC in Enfield, met great friends there and working at Starbucks.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 AM

720 posts, read 1,712,044 times
Bethany is absolutely gorgeous.Lots of rural and beautiful areas in CT, and the prices are down. All 4 of my kids have attended community colleges NVCC and Gateway. One just got her masters from UCONN, one a BS from Southern CT university, one is finishing up at UNH, and one currently at NVCC. New Haven has lots going on socially for your son's age group. We support 5 on around 100k, and it's enough for a nice life.(of course that depends on your debt obligations, we have a low mortgage payment) I live below Waterbury, so that's the area I'm familiar with, the naugatuck Valley. Don't put a lot of faith in Zillow, a realtor can give you better info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut