Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 06:22 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,276,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser_user View Post
Yippie! How long does it say the revitalization will take? The cola daily article says “22 to 4 months”. I’m hoping she meant to put 2-4 months which would be lightening speed IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 07:51 PM

403 posts, read 235,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Yippie! How long does it say the revitalization will take? The cola daily article says “22 to 4 months”. I’m hoping she meant to put 2-4 months which would be lightening speed IMO.
I’ve read 2 years so I assume they meant 22-24 months

Old 09-15-2023, 08:39 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,276,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
I’ve read 2 years so I assume they meant 22-24 months
This sounds like the pace I was expecting.

Old 09-17-2023, 08:58 PM

1,154 posts, read 958,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Hurray..I remember when the park first open. It had a cafe on Laurel Street and was the site of many high school date night strolls prom, graduation picture taking (before social media). Even landmark festival like the now defunt Mayfest was hosted there and the island stage was an attractive amenity for evening concerts along with the meandering walkway beneath the fountain. Then teenagers with loud music and cruising late 90s early 2000s started to dominate the space and the residents on the hill (and likely the Governor at the time) had the parking lot block off. Some fights and a shooting later.. and most of the casual visitors were gone and the police ended the teen take overs.. and that left a void that was filled by the homeless. With no advocacy group to push for its restoration.. it languished until now.

I suspect the push to have the old veterans affairs building turned into apartments, the City's purchase of the Main Post office and rumors that Richland County may decamp from their Court House across Assembly opening the door for a major anchor project on northern end of Main Street.. may have forced this second look at the park not to mention efforts to move the Oliver Gospel Mission and the Shelter on Main@ Elmwood.

The biggest challenge is activating that space. I think those project sites that I mentioned above with housing, hotel or other attractions may help but doing something to connect the park to Downtown Main Street across Assembly is critical.. Assembly is a River of Asphalt and that crossing is at the bottom of a racetrack hill which makes it not attractive to cross. Some Streetscaping and attractive pylons (not flexpost please) need to be put in place to connect it with downtown proper
I saw awhile ago that one of the plans for the park for people crossing the road is to run tunnels under Assembly Street. You know how I am when it comes to that stuff. I love the idea of connecting Pedestrian Tunnels and walkways throughout the city.

Old 09-18-2023, 05:19 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,379,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I saw awhile ago that one of the plans for the park for people crossing the road is to run tunnels under Assembly Street. You know how I am when it comes to that stuff. I love the idea of connecting Pedestrian Tunnels and walkways throughout the city.
Yeah.. I remember you posted something about a network of skywalks with one crossing over Assembly.. Some people dont like pedestrian bridges because it takes people off the street. I think at this location it would be appropriate. I believe the key is what is built on the Richland County Courts site (if/when they move) and what the City does with the Main Post Office site.. when they eventually move. It would seem like a good place to connect two "developments" with a pedestrian bridge and get people comfortably over Assembly Street to the Park. One site could be a hotel and the other maybe an apartment building seems likely. I am afraid an underground tunnel may be avoided by many unless is it staffed and has good lighting for reasons I dont need to explain.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:21 AM

The Mayor mentioned a flyover, similar to the high line in NYC, over Assembly as a possibility down the line.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:02 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,379,617 times
Quote:
The Mayor mentioned a flyover, similar to the high line in NYC, over Assembly as a possibility down the line.
Ironically, there used to be a single track RR Trestle that went airborne at Lincoln at Senate Street just south of the Blue Marlin (which was the former Amtrak Station) and followed Lincoln Street all the way down to the vicinity of Capital City Ballpark then went west through Olympia before making ground contact in the track work as it goes over the Congaree into Cayce.. That track was abandoned from Earlewood to the track work in Olympia when the RR Corridor was built in the vista where the current Amtrak Station. There was debate over preserving the trestle but the decision was made to take it down. Had it been there today. I am sure it would have been used as a way to take people from the Vista...to atleast the Greek Village in a NYC Highline type fashion with connections to the Colonial Center and related developments that would emerge along the route...especially with the introduction of scooters and the popularity of cycling..

A similar bridge exists in USC that was built for pedestrians along the Marion St axis from Catawba Street to Blossom. I believe the segment around Wheat Street has been removed but it used to be a continuous pedestrian experience.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Wait where did he mention a Flyover? I would like to know. Heck I would like to get a 1 on 1 with out new mayor. I did for Bob Coble and Mayor Benjamin.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah.. I remember you posted something about a network of skywalks with one crossing over Assembly.. Some people dont like pedestrian bridges because it takes people off the street. I think at this location it would be appropriate. I believe the key is what is built on the Richland County Courts site (if/when they move) and what the City does with the Main Post Office site.. when they eventually move. It would seem like a good place to connect two "developments" with a pedestrian bridge and get people comfortably over Assembly Street to the Park. One site could be a hotel and the other maybe an apartment building seems likely. I am afraid an underground tunnel may be avoided by many unless is it staffed and has good lighting for reasons I dont need to explain.
The thing is Many places around the world has skywalks that doesn't diminish the Ground level experience at all. This will just elevate the walking and pedestrian experience. No one will be forced to take it. it will just be another option for those who want to or on days like this past Sunday Morning into the mid afternoon where it was just non stop pouring rain. I would have loved to have a series of skywalks to be in while in downtown yesterday instead of in the floods.

If we are gonna build something like that we need to integrated it well that it compliments the Street Level activities. just look at a lot of places in Asia that are building it. Like Tokyo has a bunch of them and it doesn't kill the ground level at all. I think people are scared of the idea because what was seen with a few american cities that built these. I think the issue many people dont realize is the reason a lot of cities in america that have built the skywalks or tunnel networks have pulled people off the streets is because their streets are built for the cars so of course no one is gonna take the time to be outside when theres nothing out there. But now with the knowldge we have today about how important our streets are to people I think we can still build a skywalk mixed Tunnel network and still have busy vibrate streets.

If I can find my picture I made again I did make it that a lot of the network was ground level walkways too.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Wait where did he mention a Flyover? I would like to know. Heck I would like to get a 1 on 1 with out new mayor. I did for Bob Coble and Mayor Benjamin.
https://www.southcarolinapublicradio...king?_amp=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area