Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:28 PM

180 posts, read 1,186,977 times

Advertisements

Excellent water pics CO!

Ok, here's a pic I took about 45 minutes ago. Goose in my front yard with 1/2" snow on her back. We have 2 inches down now though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 04:35 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
Swampy101 I miss the geese! Great shot!

When I lived in the Denver metro area, it was a honkin' good time to see and hear the geese up there. Sadly, they bypass my nieghborhood in Briargate as there isn't any water near. I see them every so often but rarely do they wake me up like they did in Denver. They fly way high around this area and it's a treat when you do see them in their migration.

My back yard picture isn't pretty but I don't have an over hang or I would have stepped out and taken a more thoughtful photo. The snow started about a little less than an hour ago here. I'm not in a warning or watch zone but I think we will probably get about 4 inches here in the northern part of C Springs.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:33 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
2005? Didn't realize it was that long since we went camping up there. Where does the time go? It was definitely not taken with my LG phone. In 05' I had a Nokia 5100 series phone. I think it had the rotary dial.

Nice ski pics Fuzz. Makes me homesick.

Swampy, if I took photos like that I'd quit my day job.

Quote:
Olympus X100, D540Z, C310Z
2005:06:19 12:46:57

This old workhorse slug? 3.1 Meg and no sound. About the only redeeming quality is it's .5gig memory chip.

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-16-2008 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Swampy101 I miss the geese! Great shot!

When I lived in the Denver metro area, it was a honkin' good time to see and hear the geese up there. Sadly, they bypass my nieghborhood in Briargate as there isn't any water near. I see them every so often but rarely do they wake me up like they did in Denver. They fly way high around this area and it's a treat when you do see them in their migration.

My back yard picture isn't pretty but I don't have an over hang or I would have stepped out and taken a more thoughtful photo. The snow started about a little less than an hour ago here. I'm not in a warning or watch zone but I think we will probably get about 4 inches here in the northern part of C Springs.
This pair of geese has been coming to our pond for 3-4 weeks now. We've seen them do their "business" (and I don't mean leaving droppings either). Then he stood guard over her for a couple of weeks while she packed on the wieght. Then about 5 days ago, they'd show up, then he'd take off and leave her alone for a few hours, then return landing almost on top of her while honking at her. Then a few hours later, they'd either get back in the pond and stay the night or they'd fly off to some unknown location for the night, returning in the morning.

2-3 days ago, he quit showing up with her. Dunno what happened. Coyote got him maybe while protecting her? Hit by a car? Got in a fight cause he was leaving her for a lunchtime fling? Just don't know. I can see in her movements and stuff that she's sad though. It's really a bummer and I wish we could open the garage and she'd come in to stay warm or something over night. We're really bummed about it ourselves.

Well, we're at 4 inches of snow already ourselves and it's pouring down still. They called for 10 inches at our location and I think they may have it right this time.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Swampy, if I took photos like that I'd quit my day job.

This old workhorse slug? 3.1 Meg and no sound. About the only redeeming quality is it's .5gig memory chip.
I hope you're not reffering to the goose shot above. :| But thanks!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a point and shoot camera. I was just talking to some friends about that a few weeks ago. I took this picture with a camera that was new in 2000, yes, 8 years old, only 2 megapixel!
http://www.bryanmaine.com/web/DSC00005e.jpg

I had posted one almost just like that earlier in this thread, but that was taken with a professional camera system.

People just have to learn how to use what they have is all I'm saying. Not saying that your pics are bad either. They are really clean looking, even from your "workhorse slug". Nice stuff!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 PM

McGowdog Those two pics I took of the leaves of my houseplant...those were taken with an Olympus D-595, just a step up from what you have there.

These were taken with my old D-460:

http://www.realproofonline.com/citydata/pikespeak1-30-04.jpg (broken link)

http://www.realproofonline.com/citydata/pikespeakagain1-26-03.jpg (broken link)

First was in Jan of 2004 and the second was in Jan 2003. Not sure what I did with the originals but you can get some really good photos with a point and shoot. One thing about photography (I am trying to get back into it again as my web stuff has dried up but $2000+ for a professional digital cam as well as all the other equipment is out of reach for me at the moment) is you can take a ton of shots - even for professionals - before you get that right one. I agree with Swampy101 learn to use what you have. Sometimes I get too impatient and that's my down side.

Those photos I took of my house plant, I took my time and adjusted the leaves for the light coming in. I took about 15 to get two workable shots and those weren't professional but I had fun.

Me? I want to get into architectural photography again. When I sold windows and doors I did a lot of photos (mostly for legal reasons) but many of my shots made it to our showroom and in brochures. I miss that part of my job.

I hope that Saturday, if it's nice enough and I don't have an issue with anxiety that I can get out and get some Colorado Springs buildings photographed. Slim pickings because so many are so generic though. Le sigh.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 PM

Oh for those looking for some good and hokey fun, check out The Flying W Ranch here in Colorado Springs. Flying W Ranch, located in Colorado Springs, Colorado Here's a sampling of their food (taken July 31, 2002):

http://www.realproofonline.com/citydata/cowboyfood.jpg (broken link)

I would show more photos but they have my family in them and I don't want to tick them off. I will look for more photos. I have some from the train going from Denver to Glenwood for a family event. I hope I still have them.

Wee, this is fun!

I lied, here's one of the band playing after "supper" (I call it dinner, not supper but hey it's the last meal of the day.)

http://www.realproofonline.com/citydata/P7310017.JPG (broken link)

Last edited by COflower; 04-16-2008 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
The pics on post 10 and 39 are crazy.

On some of those pics, I don't understand how you could get that clarity without having a lot of Pixels and some way of getting a better focus and/or long exposure times.

Once in a while I find myself having the perfect time and place to take a pic. But it rarely captures the scene like I see it with my own eyes. Do you know what I mean?

Flying W!!! Yes, I miss that place! You have to hold the plate under the apple sauce cause the plate's too hot!

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-16-2008 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 47,907 times
Some more from CO...
Attached Thumbnails
Colorado Photo Thread-may-2005-sunsets-010.jpg   Colorado Photo Thread-rainbow-10-02-06-002.jpg  

Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,349 times
IMHO, photography is 80% composition, 20% technical stuff (e.g. equipment, manual settings, etc.).

Great equipment without good composition will give you crystal-clear pictures of uninteresting subjects/scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado