Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is CO due for a new license plate design
Yes 14 19.72%
No 52 73.24%
Maybe 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 11:16 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

I agree with you, OP; would like to see more variety in the plate design. it's the first thing I noticed after moving to CO; all the plates look the same, even most of the special-interest ones have the same basic mountain design, and only add an element in the middle of the plate per the special interest of choice.

Why would one have to do away with embossed plates just to get some nice background artwork? California embosses their photo-artwork plates, as well as the plainer plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 11:29 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would one have to do away with embossed plates just to get some nice background artwork? California embosses their photo-artwork plates, as well as the plainer plates.
FWIW - The flat plates are likely cheaper, and they're definitely easier to make because you don't have to stamp them.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:00 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
FWIW - The flat plates are likely cheaper, and they're definitely easier to make because you don't have to stamp them.
Would the savings be reflected in the registration fees, though?

I like the look of the embossed ones, but maybe I'm just old-fashioned. I'd still opt for the fancy background ones, if I had to give up embossing.

Right now, I have the hunting/fishing conservation ones, which, instead of a central element among the lettering, has wildlife perched on top of the standard mountain theme. I feel it adds a lot more to the boring mountain design, fwiw. Though the one in post #5 is nice, too, but I'd have to eliminate a letter from my vanity plate lettering to accommodate one like that.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:32 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Would the savings be reflected in the registration fees, though?

I like the look of the embossed ones, but maybe I'm just old-fashioned. I'd still opt for the fancy background ones, if I had to give up embossing.

Right now, I have the hunting/fishing conservation ones, which, instead of a central element among the lettering, has wildlife perched on top of the standard mountain theme. I feel it adds a lot more to the boring mountain design, fwiw. Though the one in post #5 is nice, too, but I'd have to eliminate a letter from my vanity plate lettering to accommodate one like that.
Not likely. We're pretty cash-strapped from a DOT perspective. CDOT's 10-year deferred maintenance backlog is over $1 billion and growing. Any savings they realize will probably be reallocated somewhere else.

Old 12-20-2021, 11:55 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
IMO any savings will be so trivial that it doesn't matter. Thanks to TABOR, Colorado continues to burn the furniture so they can stay warm.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-20-2021, 12:01 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Ok, I actually reached out to the Department of Revenue (Motor Vehicle Section) and they responded today. To clarify, the default/standard license plates will be the same as they are today - the white mountains, green numbers, green sky, with the embossed/raised lettering. (Yay!).

However, if you want to keep your old letter/number combination when you renew your plates, that would be a custom plate, and those are the god-awful, cheap-looking, non-embossed (flat) printed plates. And based on what they said, all of the non-default plates will be printed on demand with non-embossed (flat) letters/numbers.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
As a license plate collector(yes people really do this) Colorado has an iconic plate design and to get rid of it would be crazy but many states have had iconic plate designs and went away from it ie California(black and gold)(sunset) New York(Liberty plate) and even Iowa has changed to something cartoonish. Printed plates are garabge and nobody likes them, part of the art is the stamping and how you get your design to work within it. Otherwise fine, just go out and do some stupid hologram plate.

As a license plate collector I often change out my front plate to one of my favorites, this month I am rockin' a 1934 Colorado plate I paid $110 dollars for and it looks great on the F150.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:21 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
As a license plate collector(yes people really do this) Colorado has an iconic plate design and to get rid of it would be crazy but many states have had iconic plate designs and went away from it ie California(black and gold)(sunset) New York(Liberty plate) and even Iowa has changed to something cartoonish. Printed plates are garabge and nobody likes them, part of the art is the stamping and how you get your design to work within it. Otherwise fine, just go out and do some stupid hologram plate.

As a license plate collector I often change out my front plate to one of my favorites, this month I am rockin' a 1934 Colorado plate I paid $110 dollars for and it looks great on the F150.
I disagree. Montana has quite a few artistic flat printed plates. The printing technology got better over the last 2 decades, you rarely ever see them faded by UV light or weather. Colorado is just behind with the times as being iconic, refuses to upgrade their standard license plates and keep the embossed plates as special order.

https://dojmt.gov/driving/plate-desi...ture-forestry/

Examples

Old 01-17-2022, 06:02 PM

185 posts, read 461,318 times
Colorado can do waaaay better, the only other big state plate I see as plain right now is Cali plates, which, Cali as we all can agree are either rental cars, or ******* drivers.

Don't be like California. Do better for your home state.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:41 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,322 times
Nah, our green and white standard plates are iconic and therefore fine.

That being said, I'm not against some sort of "upgrade" to real imagery of something awesome like the Maroon Bells, for example. But again, it should be something awesome, not generic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: