Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 08:51 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,531,803 times

Advertisements

The Denver Post also covered a survey that showed young people did not increase usage once it became legal.

Go to any of the "pot" shops near the border. Some have maps of the other state's customers who shop there. That's money going out of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas --going to... COLORADO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 10:39 PM

812 posts, read 1,472,359 times
Sorry, can't tell you how legal MJ has affected CO because I notice zero difference whatsoever. The big difference was when medical MJ became legal as a (ahem) "medical" pot shop opened about every 5 or 6 blocks on every street. The jump from "medical" to "recreational" has been to my eyes pretty much negligible. I'm a 40-something dad of two pre-teens. I didn't smoke pot before and I don't now. I know a couple people who occasionally smoked before it was legal and they still do. I didn't want my kids to become potheads or heavy drinkers before and I still don't and I don't see how either pot or alcohol being legal to purchase for those over 21 changes anything. Both were available to minors who wanted to get their hands on 'em before and both still are. Other than cops not busting adults for possessing MJ and people not going to jail or wasting court resources for growing it, I cannot tell any difference in my day to day life. I'm not looking very hard though as it was a non-issue before legalization and its a non-issue now, which is why being legal only makes sense. Why should a "non-issue" be illegal when booze, cigarettes, gambling, etc. are all legal? I mean, other than angry old white grampas being cranky about something they've always thought only minorities and good-for-nothing liberals use so they're for #^% sure gonna be against it? Why would it ever have been illegal in the first place anywhere if of wasn't for angry old white grampas and the alcohol/tobacco lobby? Goodness I'm morphing into a libertarian as I type this.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:36 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,348,417 times
That is true about money going from one state to another. Our hotel on the Raton pass was next to a pot shop. Walked yo walmart passing through the pot shops parking lot. Pretty much all cars were new Mexico. I'd sure hate driving the Pass b back to New Mexico in the evening but it isn't colorado problem on that pass it I s New Mexico problem. Of course the good part is colorado got their money. The issue is on New Mexico ballet so assuming it passes then New Mexico can make the money without killing others on that pass.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:00 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,634,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
That is true about money going from one state to another. Our hotel on the Raton pass was next to a pot shop. Walked yo walmart passing through the pot shops parking lot. Pretty much all cars were new Mexico. I'd sure hate driving the Pass b back to New Mexico in the evening but it isn't colorado problem on that pass it I s New Mexico problem. Of course the good part is colorado got their money. The issue is on New Mexico ballet so assuming it passes then New Mexico can make the money without killing others on that pass.
If a buyer is from out of state it is illegal for them to use it outside of the Colorado. They must smoke or consume it here. Also if you are buying using an out of state license or ID then you are only allowed to buy a limited amount compared to someone that lives in Colorado. I could only imagine New Mexico's police are chomping at the bit to pull people over coming over from Colorado just after they visited a pot shop.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:15 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,128,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlieJMiller View Post
I live in Oregon, where pot was legalized last year. While the culture in Oregon (especially Eugene,) was already unabashedly pro-marijuana, I have definitely seen some changes since its legalization. First and foremost, the unmistakable smell of pot wafting into your house or car windows is now a much more common occurrence. Also, the number of youth caught with or under the influence of pot in schools has skyrocketed in my area (I work with high schoolers.) And to echo what others have said, 20-somethings from all over the West coast definitely flock to Oregon, Eugene especially, to get access to legal marijuana.

Clearly I'm not a fan- no shame to anyone who is. But I definitely haven't seen anything positive come from its legalization here in Oregon. Not yet, anyway. Colorado, on the other hand, does appear to be on the rise in terms of funding and accessibility to social programs. I'm not sure to what degree that can be attributed to taxes coming from marijuana specifically, but I guess it's something to consider.
That's because employers are still allowed to discriminate pot smokers so it creates high unemployment and vagrancy. Employment testing is going to be the next big hurtle for legal weed.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:23 PM

Sales are still going up.

Colorado marijuana sales set monthly record of $122.7 million in July

Old 10-17-2016, 02:38 PM

776 posts, read 581,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Just vote Yes....
Far left Liberals, vote, don't think, will do that for you.
Quote:
Nobody is murdering or robbing anybody for a 6 dollar gram of weed.
I have seen people killed for less.
Quote:
There are no billows of pot smoke anywhere..
He hasn't been to a city.
Quote:
There are no "Stoner Zombies" wandering aimlessly about town...
Ha, the zombies in the walking dead have more direction than most of these stoner zombies.
Quote:
Nobody is doing bong hits while stopped at a red light....
Ha, I have seen this many times just passing through. The good thing is unlike drunk drivers, they usually slow down or stop. Angers you if you want to get somewhere but a little safer I guess.
Quote:
All the scare stories you hear are BS, plus the states are regulating and taxing the you-know-what out of it, so it's making them scads of tax money.
To pay for the issues it has created.
Quote:
California is voting on it, and I think it will pass. Arizona might as well get into the game while it's still early, Arizona can study how the other states did it and make some good decisions on how it should be handled.
Yea Arizona, you don't want to be singled out, you want to fit in. Just do it like everyone else, it'll make you cool. BTW, are we in middle school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlieJMiller View Post
I live in Oregon, where pot was legalized last year. While the culture in Oregon (especially Eugene,) was already unabashedly pro-marijuana, I have definitely seen some changes since its legalization. First and foremost, the unmistakable smell of pot wafting into your house or car windows is now a much more common occurrence. Also, the number of youth caught with or under the influence of pot in schools has skyrocketed in my area (I work with high schoolers.) And to echo what others have said, 20-somethings from all over the West coast definitely flock to Oregon, Eugene especially, to get access to legal marijuana.
You make your own decision but I wouldn't recommend it. IMO, it could be nice, but just like our other freedoms people go around and abuse it, ruining it for the rest of us.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
Far left Liberals, vote, don't think, will do that for you.

I have seen people killed for less.

He hasn't been to a city.

Ha, the zombies in the walking dead have more direction than most of these stoner zombies.

Ha, I have seen this many times just passing through. The good thing is unlike drunk drivers, they usually slow down or stop. Angers you if you want to get somewhere but a little safer I guess.

To pay for the issues it has created.

Yea Arizona, you don't want to be singled out, you want to fit in. Just do it like everyone else, it'll make you cool. BTW, are we in middle school.

You make your own decision but I wouldn't recommend it. IMO, it could be nice, but just like our other freedoms people go around and abuse it, ruining it for the rest of us.
Do you have "Reefer Madness" on constant rotation?

Old 10-17-2016, 03:31 PM

776 posts, read 581,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Do you have "Reefer Madness" on constant rotation?
No, I just like to point out what type of people legalization attracts. I really don't mind cannabis, it smells good, converts carbon dioxide to oxygen, even helps some ill people find cheap relief. Just like any other scam, when people want you to jump into something without thinking or lie like crazy, you can usually bet your not the beneficiary. Plus, I have some friend in legal states that moved out as they said it wrecked them, and if you can imagine it, they are all liberals.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
No, I just like to point out what type of people legalization attracts. I really don't mind cannabis, it smells good, converts carbon dioxide to oxygen, even helps some ill people find cheap relief. Just like any other scam, when people want you to jump into something without thinking or lie like crazy, you can usually bet your not the beneficiary. Plus, I have some friend in legal states that moved out as they said it wrecked them, and if you can imagine it, they are all liberals.
Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado