Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 11:01 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
2. Your picture of all of this is a little off because you are in law.
Obviously, my perspective is relative to my field and educational background. That said, I did previously mention for the majority of students, the college itself matters minimally in securing employment re: teaching, health care, computer science and so on (as long as the appropriate degree is obtained).

In other words, again, it depends on one’s chosen field and career goals (as well as talent/proficiency), particularly relative to highly-competitive fields. That said, I’m amazed at how many threads there are in this forum relative to such. If you don’t think it matters, clearly, you’re not in a position where it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 03:26 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Well, I can tell you that the very best engineers out of Lamar U are damn good engineers, as are the very best out of A&M or Michigan or MIT.

The worst engineer that managed to graduate from Lamar, on the other hand, is not up to the worst that graduated from MIT.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:31 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Disagree. Recruiting out of undergrad at Wharton is different than it is at Humboldt state.
Sure. That's its own point. The issue here is do excellent students enjoy better life outcomes after graduating "prestige" schools over equally excellent students who attend "lesser" schools. The only hard studies we have - and these are large sample size studies authored by legit pros - indicate no.

And Wharton is a graduate business school as stipulated above the laundry really matters in law and graduate business.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Obviously, my perspective is relative to my field and educational background. That said, I did previously mention for the majority of students, the college itself matters minimally in securing employment re: teaching, health care, computer science and so on (as long as the appropriate degree is obtained).

In other words, again, it depends on one’s chosen field and career goals (as well as talent/proficiency), particularly relative to highly-competitive fields. That said, I’m amazed at how many threads there are in this forum relative to such. If you don’t think it matters, clearly, you’re not in a position where it does.
So you are saying Kreuger and Dale and their large, peer reviewed studies were/are wrong?

Within the confines of my point (very high achievers with the bonafides to prove it)....I don't think where they attend undergrad matters because the best info we have says it does not matter.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
So you are saying Kreuger and Dale and their large, peer reviewed studies were/are wrong?
I’m saying there are times a highly-selective college does matter, not necessarily to one’s success overall (as that is defined differently from person-to-person) but relative to specific goals re: competitive fields, (acceptance into) academically-prestigious graduate programs and the companies who only hire relative to such.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I’m saying there are times a highly-selective college does matter, not necessarily to one’s success overall (as that is defined differently from person-to-person) but relative to specific goals re: competitive fields, (acceptance into) academically-prestigious graduate programs and the companies who only hire relative to such.
The cadre studied by Krueger and Dale was made up of top performers exclusively. You know, exactly the people who later go to grad. and professional school and then into competitive fields.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
The thesis of this conversation is, well was anyway, about undergraduate work.
Quote:
In that case, it can make a difference (for some) relative to one’s acceptance into an academically-prestigious graduate program.
Quote:
The cadre studied by Krueger and Dale was made up of top performers exclusively. You know, exactly the people who later go to grad. and professional school and then into competitive fields.
How would they know/determine who ‘later went on’ to graduate school or where, yet alone where they were first employed (or how much their salary out-of-the-gate relative to such).

In other words, as you stated previously, you’re speaking to overall success relative to an undergraduate degree. Point being, however, those who benefit from academically-elite schools are high-performing graduates who already plan to enter a competitive field/graduate program and seek high-earning opportunity relative to such. Naturally, they are going to benefit from better educational inputs.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
How would they know/determine who ‘later went on’ to graduate school or where, yet alone where they were first employed (or how much their salary out-of-the-gate relative to such).

In other words, as you stated previously, you’re speaking to overall success relative to an undergraduate degree. Point being, however, those who benefit from academically-elite schools are high-performing graduates who already plan to enter a competitive field/graduate program and seek high-earning opportunity relative to such. Naturally, they are going to benefit from better educational inputs.
Per the bolded...........you can't be serious? We have all kinds of longitudinal studies across various fields and populations going back decades, some 100 years. Framingham - 1948, Terman's IQ studies kicked off in 1921. Studying who went to school/grad school and how much they earn etc. is academic chicken feed relative to medical studies.

I'll see if I can post some of the data set questions and answers with some time stamping for context.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
The thesis of this conversation is ,well was anyway, about undergraduate work.
Quote:
Quote:
Per the bolded...........you can't be serious?
You’re seriously arguing that which you initially steered re: ‘people who later go to grad and professional school’, which clearly implies at the time of said study, graduate school was (a possibility) at some ‘later date’. You also specifically stated in a previous post the conversation is about undergraduate work.

Point being, relative to an academically-elite school, there’s a huge distinction between an undergraduate degree (particularly depending on the major) vs. a graduate degree in terms of benefit re: specific employers, first-year earnings and so on; needless to say, it is in addition (and relative) to a better education overall. That said, it’s absurd to throw all majors and degrees together with the expectation of a meaningful/universal conclusion, particularly since success is personally defined and not everyone will have the same (career) goals; hence my previous posts, below.

Quote:

Quote:
For most, it’s true; in fact, for many, they are doing well (and are content) to get through college and earn a solid income. That said, relative to highly-competitive fields and/or a desire to succeed beyond ‘average’ i.e. law, business and medicine - it can (and will) affect opportunity/wages. Relative to law, for example, one may find they are unemployable in the field if they attend an unaccredited law school; at the very least, they are more likely to earn significantly less, as a whole (and are in a different ballpark entirely by comparison to those who graduate from the top-twenty law schools).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 12-13-2023 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: added quote

Old 12-15-2023, 10:03 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...e4363ca0&ei=14

Just came across this article

please share your thoughts and stats if possible

is it really true where you go to college does not affect your employment ?

I thought going to good colleges increases your changes of connections networking etc

ofcourse exceptionally intelligent wealthy or lucky people will be successful regardless

But is it really true for the vast majority of us ?
Just realize the author is an expert on parenting - not colleges.

The author is discussing how soft skills affect the college experience - ie how to raise children.

She saying that "who you are as a person, your work ethic, and your support system is more important than the college you choose" - all focused on parenting.

She isn't taking about colleges as much as she is selling her own services.

A good college is better than a bad college because you'll work harder and have better professors. A pricy private college isn't necessarily better than a good public school. An Ivy League education does not promise success. It's all common sense.

Colleges can increase your connections for your internships and your first job. After that, you success depends on your work ethic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities