Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 08:28 AM

174 posts, read 132,170 times

Advertisements

My daughter attended a community college for a while, then covid hit, she continued classes there online then left to take a job for a year, then transferred to a state University (same state) and is in the process of finishing up her Bachelor's degree.

When she left the CC, she hadn't completed all the credits required for her Associate's Degree. After finishing a year at her University, she submitted the remainder of credits needed to the CC for evaluation as well as a graduation application. She visited w/an advisor there who reviewed her credits and said she was all done...she just needed to go through the formality of credit eval and graduation application. This was done in early September and she has been getting the run around waiting for it all to be done. They just keep telling her that they are working on all applications as they come in but they do not give her any date estimate of when it will be completed. (There should be no issues whatsoever...she has a 4.0 gpa, no outstanding bills, she's now attending a University in the same state with a direct transfer agreement, the courses she submitted are more than sufficient to complete the requirements etc)

She wants to be done with this and put her AA degree on her resume.

Any advice? This is getting ridiculous in my opinion. Should we take this further up the chain at the CC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 09:31 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I never heard of anyone transferring credits backwards. Her AA really doesn't matter now that she has a Bachelors, right?

Old 12-23-2023, 09:35 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
My daughter attended a community college for a while, then covid hit, she continued classes there online then left to take a job for a year, then transferred to a state University (same state) and is in the process of finishing up her Bachelor's degree.

When she left the CC, she hadn't completed all the credits required for her Associate's Degree. After finishing a year at her University, she submitted the remainder of credits needed to the CC for evaluation as well as a graduation application. She visited w/an advisor there who reviewed her credits and said she was all done...she just needed to go through the formality of credit eval and graduation application. This was done in early September and she has been getting the run around waiting for it all to be done. They just keep telling her that they are working on all applications as they come in but they do not give her any date estimate of when it will be completed. (There should be no issues whatsoever...she has a 4.0 gpa, no outstanding bills, she's now attending a University in the same state with a direct transfer agreement, the courses she submitted are more than sufficient to complete the requirements etc)

Any advice? This is getting ridiculous in my opinion. Should we take this further up the chain at the CC?
Usually, you transfer your credits to an another college before you began classes at the new school.

It's unusually to leave a college and then transfer credits to it. I'm not sure it's allowed.

If you a wish to apply credits from another college, you need written permission before beginning the course.

Not all credits are applicable to your AA. The acceptable credits depend on what a community college would offer. For instance, your community college offers three English courses, and you take six English course at a four year college. The community college will probably only accept three English courses for credit.

BTW - if she is finishing her BA/BS, why would she need an AA degree on her resume? She would simply put her state university on her resume without a end date.

You need to rethink this.

Old 12-23-2023, 09:45 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
My wife began at one 2 year school before we got married but didn't finish. A couple years later, we married and moved to a different state where I encouraged her to finish her AA. She picked up the needed credits there and had them transferred backward to her original school to complete the AA. So from that perspective you should be able to get credit for them.

That said, why bother? The typical progression is to take classes at a CC and transfer them into the university to complete the bachelors. There will be many who graduate from the university that have CC credits counted toward the bachelors but most won't bother going backward the get the AA.

From a resume perspective what will matter is the bachelors.

Old 12-23-2023, 09:57 AM

174 posts, read 132,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I never heard of anyone transferring credits backwards. Her AA really doesn't matter now that she has a Bachelors, right?
She doesn't have her Bachelor's yet...she won't have it for another year and a half.
The process is called a "Reverse Transfer" and is commonly done.
She wants to have her Assoc Degree on her resume now while she is seeking a part-time job...or for internships. It actually is helpful in that regard.

I'm just wondering whether she should speak to someone higher up in the chain to finalize this. We never expected it would take this long. It's been more than 3 months.

Old 12-23-2023, 10:25 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I guess you could bump the Registrar or the Dean of her program.

Old 12-23-2023, 11:39 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Usually, you transfer your credits to an another college before you began classes at the new school.

It's unusually to leave a college and then transfer credits to it. I'm not sure it's allowed.

If you a wish to apply credits from another college, you need written permission before beginning the course.

Not all credits are applicable to your AA. The acceptable credits depend on what a community college would offer. For instance, your community college offers three English courses, and you take six English course at a four year college. The community college will probably only accept three English courses for credit.

BTW - if she is finishing her BA/BS, why would she need an AA degree on her resume? She would simply put her state university on her resume without a end date.

You need to rethink this.

Generally, it's not just allowed but legally required in many states. Texas being one.....the class compatibility matrix works both ways.

I agree with the last part tho. Unless her AA is somehow distinguished from her BS/BA in some leverage-able way or helps the young lady set herself apart from the crowd via a convincing narrative......I wouldn't even mention it.

Old 12-23-2023, 11:46 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
She doesn't have her Bachelor's yet...she won't have it for another year and a half.
The process is called a "Reverse Transfer" and is commonly done.
She wants to have her Assoc Degree on her resume now while she is seeking a part-time job...or for internships. It actually is helpful in that regard.

I'm just wondering whether she should speak to someone higher up in the chain to finalize this. We never expected it would take this long. It's been more than 3 months.

Yea. I could not remember the term but the reverse transfer thing is real.

Having her AA while she looks for work in the meantime is legit.

IMO she should move up the food chain and talk to a registrar.

This part of college is exactly why in some ways they need to be treated more like businesses. It's profoundly unacceptable for this to take more than say two weeks.

Old 12-23-2023, 06:37 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
Honestly, even if putting it on one's resume, why does she need a physical copy for internships and part-time jobs? If she has all the course credits and is approved, focus on applying toward jobs. I don't know about at the community college level, but in the unlikely event that they want to verify, most likely they would contact the school (or respective education clearinghouse). Based on my anecdotal experience, verification is going to be done on highest level of education and the applicant with be asked maybe 10% of the time for physical copy (or image thereof).

Old 12-27-2023, 01:23 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:

(There should be no issues whatsoever...she has a 4.0 gpa, no outstanding bills, she's now attending a University in the same state with a direct transfer agreement, the courses she submitted are more than sufficient to complete the requirements etc)
She didn’t receive an associate degree from the CC if she took classes elsewhere prior to completion (as bolded below, and in order to complete a bachelor’s degree); hence, they wouldn’t issue one. In other words, any degree, if applicable, is obtained from the college in which she completed the requirements of the program. The community college is meaningless at this point.

Quote:
When she left the CC, she hadn't completed all the credits required for her Associate's Degree. After finishing a year at her University, she submitted the remainder of credits needed to the CC for evaluation as well as a graduation application. She visited w/an advisor there who reviewed her credits and said she was all done...she just needed to go through the formality of credit eval and graduation application. This was done in early September and she has been getting the run around waiting for it all to be done.
Why would she be visiting with an advisor re: a school/program she is no longer attending.

Quote:

There’s nothing to take further up the chain; she’d have easy access to her record/credits - particularly given she’s already transferred and enrolled in another college. That said, you would do well to allow her to handle it, as it sounds as though she is feeding you nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities