Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,346,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Maybe you should seek therapy for your anger issues. It's not good to be angry all the time. It's bad for your health (blood pressure, ulcers) and it also will hurt your personal and work relationships. You need to learn how to gracefully accept situations that you have no power to change. No one wants to be in the company of a perpetually angry and frustrated person.
Jesus Christ. That poster made a very valid statement regarding the current economy and the topic at hand. You throw a personal insult. Get over yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:21 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,531,738 times
A worthwhile degree can get a person wayyyy ahead. The key is to choose something practical and that leads to a niche job, preferably with the opportunity for licensure (ex. engineering, computer science, nursing, professional degrees, teaching, etc....).

Old 12-20-2013, 04:48 AM

641 posts, read 1,022,376 times
I think alot of you are missing the point of the OP. Yes you can get a job in a cubicle making 50-60k whatever, but thats not getting "ahead" in 2014. I do see it all the time in corporate america though, people with degrees think they are "hot sh**" and worth a whole lot more then they really are.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:32 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
I think alot of you are missing the point of the OP. Yes you can get a job in a cubicle making 50-60k whatever, but thats not getting "ahead" in 2014. I do see it all the time in corporate america though, people with degrees think they are "hot sh**" and worth a whole lot more then they really are.
I work in corporate America and nobody discusses their degrees. We discuss our work. How do you know what people think?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 AM

35,111 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
A worthwhile degree can get a person wayyyy ahead. The key is to choose something practical and that leads to a niche job, preferably with the opportunity for licensure (ex. engineering, computer science, nursing, professional degrees, teaching, etc....).
Again, in some locations, these degrees aren't worth toilet paper. If employers aren't hiring, you aren't getting a job, no matter if you're an engineering or philosophy major.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:16 AM

715 posts, read 1,235,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're shocked? Where have you been?

BTW, the average undergrad debt is not $64K but about $34K, almost half the amount stated.
Class of 2013 grads average $35,200 in loans, credit card debt - May. 17, 2013 This included family loans and credit card debt as well as student loans, both government and private. People will gladly borrow $35K for a car, why not for an education?

The problem is the interest. With a car, there is an interest rate that is set. With student loans, it is capitalized interest that accrues overtime. Especially with private loans. That $35,200 could balloon to $64k easily in a matter of years.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,153,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Agreed.
Anyone who goes into debt for college these days is simply foolish.

One of the reasons people are fighting for an increase to the minimum wage is that a LOT of these jobs are held by college educated people who have student loan debt. Fact of life in 2013. It kills me when people say 'if you don't like it then just get another job' like it's so easy. Too many people, not enough of these 'good jobs'.

Almost everyone I know who is successful financially has no college degree.

I'm not saying it's useless, I'm saying don't go into debt for it, and don't expect this fabulous job just because you have it.
Anyone who states "Anyone who goes into debt for college these days is simply foolish" is foolish. LOTS of students will go into debt for college today and become very successful in doing so.

Almost everyone I know who is successful financially has a college degree. Guessing you must not know many college graduates over the age of 30.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:10 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,519,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I agree. With certain, quite rare exceptions, a degree is nothing more than an admission ticket. With it, you get to participate in the "real" employment games. Without it, you're basically limited to whatever you can scrounge in the parking lot. (Not the best analogy, I know, but...)
Let me amend my own statement to include two-year certificates and diplomas from technical and trade schools. For example, completing an approved two-year course of instruction in plumbing or cabinetmaking will help you "get in the door" to begin a career that will become quite well-paying over time. Without it, while you may still be able to "get in the door", it is much-much more difficult to do so.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,153,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have a tendency to fight. I look at the world from the perspective of "Why should things work like this, why shouldn't they work a better way?". I get angry because in my mind, getting the job should be about what you can do, and what you know, not WHO you know. I tend to be bad at networking for many reasons.
Then take a look at yourself and improve. 'Who' you know has always been a factor and always will be. It shouldn't madden you.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:27 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,937,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Jobs like diesel mechanic, HVAC technician, heavy equipment operator, etc. may pay well and really can't be sent to India, but they're not what a lot of college-bound kids are seeing themselves doing. Most parents probably want to see their kids in a non-"greasy-dirty" career.

The Facebook generation would rather be working a keyboard than a torque wrench.

My father back in the 70s decided to leave college early to start working in the HVAC business... lucky for him it worked out and after nearly 40 years with that same company he retired last year at the age of 55.

However... back then that was a time where these types of businesses would take anyone off the street who had common sense and could handle the type of work and learn the job easily. Now-a-days people who want to be hired for the same job my father had need X amount of college education and certifications.

It's totally different these days... and getting that degree can only HELP spring board you to a potential career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities