Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 PM

29,988 posts, read 25,118,669 times

Advertisements

I've stated my opinion in the past... If you could measure the IQ of every American, you would probably find that as the IQ grows, so does the possession of a college degree. I would also estimate that as IQ grows, so does the income earning potential.

Having said this.... I believe smart people earn more money. If smart people are more likely to have a college degree, than yes, those with a college degree typically earn more. Does this mean a college degree guarantees a good income and a good career? No. Those things are earned through actions like performance, punctuality, etc. It's not enough to simply have a college degree, because that college degree does nothing to improve the bottom line of the company that employs you... You must be GOOD at something in order to earn decent money and a decent job.

There's nothing wrong with obtaining a college degree. Unfortunately, I believe too many are getting one simply because they believe it will buy them a job. Education is about self improvement. That's basically it. Go to college because you want to learn something already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 06:07 PM

45 posts, read 40,624 times
A degree doesn't help, an education does help. I had a AA in accounting and landed an assistant bookkeeping job making the same as someone with not even one high school class. A year later I was a full charge bookkeeper she was moved to the typing pool a week after hire. I became a staff accountant for a CPA firm learning an the job. I decided to get a degree in accounting so went back to school then took and passed the CPA exam. I didn't feel like I learned a lot in college and didn't want to be a CPA even after passing the test and getting licensed. I gave up accounting to work in accounting software before I finished my degree. Becoming a CPA got me promoted to tax analyst/programmer but education didn't teach me how to be an analyst/programmer or the software. Once in a while I would be talking to a CPA on the phone or a bookkeeper and they would ask if I knew anything about accounting so when I said I was a CPA it cut them having to explain the problem to a novice. I left software and went back to being a bookkeeper like I always wanted to be. Now after 10 years on my current job I am making about 80K including profit sharing. I am being replaced by a woman who is a high school drop out with on the job training she will make half as much or less. The company appreciates me, my boss is a CPA who likes when I give her financial statements to review they are perfect , she is new so I am teaching her everything I know and my replacement. Two more weeks and I am retiring, still not sure the degree paid off but glad I bought one. I learned more on the job than I ever did in school but it landed me my job when they wanted someone good at accounting and computers to do bookkeeping and cost accounting.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:10 PM

73,178 posts, read 63,013,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
I was expelled from high school. Long story.
At the time every job listing I saw said "High school diploma or ged" ok, so I got my ged. Overnight, it seems, the qualifications changed to "associate's degree" Now that I'm 2 semesters away from that degree, everything is bachelor's plus experience. If this trend continues I'll need a phd to run a cash register for minimum wage.
Nearly every 45-60 year old I know started out at their job straight out of high school, were paid well, and have been making more than the average for years. For example, my step dad was making 60,000 a year at GM 25 years ago. My real dad makes 70k at his high school job. These types of opportunities don't seem to exist anymore. No employers want to train people. Every job wants experience even a lot of ENTRY level positions demand experience.

That being said, getting the right degree, at the right time, can get you a great career, but not always. As has been mentioned, a lot of graduates are not in the fields they studied. Pretty messed up system.

On the other hand, a friend of mine has spent 90,000 on his education, he's doing what he likes, but only makes 18 an hour. Keep in mind he lives in Atlanta, not exactly cheap to live. To move up, he's going to have to drop another 40k on yet another degree. That's just insane.
I got my bachelor's in 2012. I'm going back to school to get yet another degree. In addition to some of the stuff you mentioned, there is another component, one that angers me up the wall, but I am being forced to accept: It's also about WHO you know. My father works in the engineering sector and he has heard of people who get jobs because they knew someone, and they weren't exactly qualified for those jobs. It angers me big time.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,265,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
College degree is good, it opens doors.
BUT, from here on in, the doors are different.
The doors are for jobs that CAN NOT BE OUTSCOURCED.
So tell everyone you know, whatever degree they go for,
make it in a profession that you can't outscource.
I'm serious. That is the future, from here on in.
Doctors, Nurses, Most hands on healthcare, only hands on,
Pharmacists, clerks at the pharmacy, (most drugs are manufactured
in China now),
Mechanics of all sorts that they have to physcially do the work.
Housekeepers, lawn mowers, think physical presence, and they will be
fine.
All other jobs are going to be shipped over seas.
Oh, by the way, Horticulture is coming back big time. Just in case
anyone knows someone interested in farming. All kinds of farming.
College?
Yea, there is a place for college education, but when your car is stuck in
snow and you call someone to come tow you to the garage, the guy who
drives the tow truck doesn't need college, and either does a plumber, who
makes more than a doctor at times.
Most drugs are not manufactured in China now. And most jobs can be and are outsourced and most of that happens within the US.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 12-19-2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,265,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I've stated my opinion in the past... If you could measure the IQ of every American, you would probably find that as the IQ grows, so does the possession of a college degree. I would also estimate that as IQ grows, so does the income earning potential.

Having said this.... I believe smart people earn more money. If smart people are more likely to have a college degree, than yes, those with a college degree typically earn more. Does this mean a college degree guarantees a good income and a good career? No. Those things are earned through actions like performance, punctuality, etc. It's not enough to simply have a college degree, because that college degree does nothing to improve the bottom line of the company that employs you... You must be GOOD at something in order to earn decent money and a decent job.

There's nothing wrong with obtaining a college degree. Unfortunately, I believe too many are getting one simply because they believe it will buy them a job. Education is about self improvement. That's basically it. Go to college because you want to learn something already!
I agree. To add insult to injury- just because a person has a degree does not mean s/he is educated. Thinking back on a thread I was previously involved in, where we were discussing critical thinking, I figure if a person does not in some way garner a bit of critical thinking skill while in college then something is very wrong.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,178,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I got my bachelor's in 2012. I'm going back to school to get yet another degree. In addition to some of the stuff you mentioned, there is another component, one that angers me up the wall, but I am being forced to accept: It's also about WHO you know. My father works in the engineering sector and he has heard of people who get jobs because they knew someone, and they weren't exactly qualified for those jobs. It angers me big time.

Once I stopped fighting the fact that networking is the way the world works (I did for many many years) and started playing the game, my life and job prospects improved greatly. Relationships are everything.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 PM

73,178 posts, read 63,013,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Once I stopped fighting the fact that networking is the way the world works (I did for many many years) and started playing the game, my life and job prospects improved greatly. Relationships are everything.
I have a tendency to fight. I look at the world from the perspective of "Why should things work like this, why shouldn't they work a better way?". I get angry because in my mind, getting the job should be about what you can do, and what you know, not WHO you know. I tend to be bad at networking for many reasons.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:43 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,291,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have a tendency to fight. I look at the world from the perspective of "Why should things work like this, why shouldn't they work a better way?". I get angry because in my mind, getting the job should be about what you can do, and what you know, not WHO you know. I tend to be bad at networking for many reasons.
Maybe you should seek therapy for your anger issues. It's not good to be angry all the time. It's bad for your health (blood pressure, ulcers) and it also will hurt your personal and work relationships. You need to learn how to gracefully accept situations that you have no power to change. No one wants to be in the company of a perpetually angry and frustrated person.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
College degree or not...I am shocked to see that men, in this day and age, still make more than women.

I know many with degrees that don't even work in the field they studied in. I've heard from several different sources that the only degree that really gets you anything is a masters.
You're shocked? Where have you been?

BTW, the average undergrad debt is not $64K but about $34K, almost half the amount stated.
Class of 2013 grads average $35,200 in loans, credit card debt - May. 17, 2013 This included family loans and credit card debt as well as student loans, both government and private. People will gladly borrow $35K for a car, why not for an education?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:29 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,358,507 times
It depends. In the industry I am in, you used to be able to do the job without a college degree. Now they are requiring degrees. The people already working have to get a degree if they want to stay, and for new job openings no one is considered unless they have a degree. These same jobs I would have been allowed to do 30 years ago with no degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities