Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:59 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Nice stats, but what you fail to throw out there is the debt one goes into from college. So automatically you are already behind. In addition, the middle class is shrinking so you cant tell me those with college degreees are part of the population that is in the top percentage of earners...
As long as you avoid expensive schools, the earnings premium would still make it worthwhile.

An extra $20,000 per year, after taxes, in salary would pay off $64,000 plus interest in less than 4 years. After that, the added earnings are just gravy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 12:01 PM

993 posts, read 1,561,689 times
You're right that college degrees are the new high school diploma. It's unfortunate because I don't think a college education is necessary for a lot of the jobs that require it. I don't even think a lot of the degrees that are available in colleges should be four year degrees.

It's unfortunate because the prevalence of college degrees render them so much less impressive. It's great that people are ambitious these days, but it's not so great that people believe that that ambition entitles them to something.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
More and more people have it and they are getting more and more easier to get...usually when that happens to something it becomes worthless.
More people don't have it (maybe a few percentage points higher). More people start, don't finish, and end up in debt without a degree. It's a scam.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
As long as you avoid expensive schools, the earnings premium would still make it worthwhile.

An extra $20,000 per year, after taxes, in salary would pay off $64,000 plus interest in less than 4 years. After that, the added earnings are just gravy.
Of course, I realize that many new grads choose to spend most of their earnings premium and drag the loans out, but that is a lifestyle choice, not a cost of education, strictly speaking at least.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:55 PM

297 posts, read 842,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
It's funny how so many people flash the extremely rare dropout millionaire as proof that college is useless and anyone who attends is fool. Yet these people constantly fail to realize that for everyone of those dropout millionaires there are at least 1,000 of others dropouts working crappy jobs or who are unemployed. Yes it takes more than having a bachelor's degree or a master's degree to be successful. It takes a strong work ethic and networking. But guess what, college is a great place to build a strong work ethic and networking skills. Joining a campus organization is a great place to build those valuable soft skills and get career guidance as to what opportunities are out there. And employers are recruiting on campus all of the time so you get an insight into what they are looking for and It's a lot easier to build a relationship with them because they've seen you and talked to you personally.

The problem isn't with the schools themselves, it's the mentality certain people have towards higher education. The problem is that some people believe that if they just go to class, do their assignments get their 4.0 GPA and go home then they'll be okay. But employers would rather have someone with a 3.0 whose been involved heavily with the campus and community then someone with a 4.0 but does nothing else.

Detractors like the OP tend to overlook these things though. College has a lot more to offer and teach than academics but it's up to the students to take advantage of these opportunities.

Swoooooooon

Old 12-19-2013, 12:55 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,926 times
No, there were not other options for his path. He ended up getting one of 5 openings for the classes required. I talked to him about it and asked him the same question.
By the way, he did try the community college route. He graduated and it wasn't good enough to get him employment.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:00 PM

297 posts, read 842,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
More people don't have it (maybe a few percentage points higher). More people start, don't finish, and end up in debt without a degree. It's a scam.
These tend to be the people who want to go to Colorado Technical "University", "University" of Phoenix, Rasmussen "College"..."most" people who go through the hassle of getting into a traditional 4 year school don't just drop out.

These schools are RIDICULOUSLY over priced and are generally worthless degrees.

Many years ago I was working in payroll and wanted to get an accounting degree. I started at the MN School of Business. Rough numbers, an associates degree required about 84 credits at $350 ish per (it's $435 now so I'm estimating...I don't remember exactly). This is nearly $30K for an associates degree. They claim to cater to working adults and I fell for that.

I found out that Hennepin Technical College had an associates degree program in accounting and tuition was closer to $100 per credit and it took 64 credits to complete. This is $6400.

Don't go to worthless schools aiming to get a degree...

Old 12-19-2013, 01:10 PM

n/a posts
Quote:
College degrees are the new high school diploma. And some even more useless than that as they have become so readily availably on the internet and through for profit intsitutions, etc. People think if they go 50k into debt to acquire a degree that they will "get ahead" in the workforce, in life, etc. I did enjoy my time in college, and I am glad I went but my reasons for enjoying my time at a top tier university have nothing to do with my job prospects. In order to "get ahead" in life you need to work for it, no corporation is going to hand you anything sitting in a cubicle. Especially with the baby boomers in hiring positions, trust me they will not retire quietly. I have met more millionaires who were college dropouts than any other people. I think people are naive and higher institutions are milking the new degree bubble that Gen Y has been lead to believe that they need in order to be successful.
as a gen y that graduated, literally, a week a ago...we're not playing.

we're not asking you. we are telling you. hire us or face the consequences.

you can't sit pretty in your mcmansions that are down the street while we hurt.

we'll pass the hurt on.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:11 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
These tend to be the people who want to go to Colorado Technical "University", "University" of Phoenix, Rasmussen "College"..."most" people who go through the hassle of getting into a traditional 4 year school don't just drop out.

These schools are RIDICULOUSLY over priced and are generally worthless degrees.

Many years ago I was working in payroll and wanted to get an accounting degree. I started at the MN School of Business. Rough numbers, an associates degree required about 84 credits at $350 ish per (it's $435 now so I'm estimating...I don't remember exactly). This is nearly $30K for an associates degree. They claim to cater to working adults and I fell for that.
I found out that Hennepin Technical College had an associates degree program in accounting and tuition was closer to $100 per credit and it took 64 credits to complete. This is $6400.

Don't go to worthless schools aiming to get a degree...
Yea, I know drop out rate is high for for-profits, but it's still significant for 4 year and community colleges. Anyhow, the point being made is that people confuse the numbers and think the number of students entering college is the same for student graduating college.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:14 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
College degrees are the new high school diploma. And some even more useless than that as they have become so readily availably on the internet and through for profit intsitutions, etc. People think if they go 50k into debt to acquire a degree that they will "get ahead" in the workforce, in life, etc. I did enjoy my time in college, and I am glad I went but my reasons for enjoying my time at a top tier university have nothing to do with my job prospects. In order to "get ahead" in life you need to work for it, no corporation is going to hand you anything sitting in a cubicle. Especially with the baby boomers in hiring positions, trust me they will not retire quietly. I have met more millionaires who were college dropouts than any other people. I think people are naive and higher institutions are milking the new degree bubble that Gen Y has been lead to believe that they need in order to be successful.
And what do you say to all the jobs out there that DO require a college degree and are jobs that pay WELL? Most jobs in the healthcare field that pay well will require a college degree. Most management jobs, accounting jobs, software jobs, law, public education, etc all will require a college degree, and most are 4 year degrees. Are you suggesting that these decent paying middle class jobs are attainable without college degrees? Or that you can make more money by doing an entry level job with college degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities